PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Copper Tubing For Making Jackets

KAYDADOG
01-22-2014, 07:18 PM
Does anyone have a good method for cutting copper tubing for jackets?

runfiverun
01-22-2014, 09:55 PM
I just use a tubing cutter.
I make a mark where I need to cut the tubing with my calipers then just cut on the line.
I made a little jig from a piece of 1x4 and screwed a couple of hose clamps on the board to pull the tubing through to hold things straight.

Zymurgy50
01-22-2014, 10:10 PM
For Ideas you can look at Dave Corbins website for his tubing cutter, then go take a look at Harbor Freight. HF has an almost identical saw for a lot less. You would have to make some kind of stop, but i dont see that as much of a problem.

midnight
01-23-2014, 10:45 AM
I have been using the cheap $30 chop saw from Harbor Freight along with a homemade Aluminum block to guide the tubing and adjust the length. It works well with 5/16 tubing but not with 3/8 & 1/2 tubing. Not enough power. For these I now use a 10 inch Hitachi miter saw with an 80 tooth carbide tipped blade. I can use the same Aluminum blocks to guide the tubing and adjust for length. I rigged up the mill to trim jackets to exact length after the bottoms are flattened. Using a 5C collet closer and a 5C collet with a collet stop to hold the jacket, I chuck Lee's case trimmer cutter in the spindle. adjust the quill stop. and trim all the jackets to the same length. The cuts with the saw are just not accurate enough. With the big miter saw you must bring the blade to the tubing slowly or it will have a flat spot on one side of the cut.

Bob

Greg5278
01-25-2014, 08:54 AM
Could you use a Saw for cutting Carbon Fiber arrows? Maybe change the Blade?
I seem to recall that there was a Solid Carbide 3" diameter slitting Saw Blade on Ebay. Copper isn't hard to cut, but if you used a blade with coarse teeth it's more likely to be out of round. I have't done it like this, but have cut a bunch of Tubing with small4.5" diameter cutoff wheels. I would think the Carbide or a HSS slitting Saw would be much cleaner. Then use a c-Sink to deburr them.
Greg
AKA 12 Bore