PDA

View Full Version : Sportsman's Guide

B R Shooter
01-22-2014, 06:38 PM
Anyone buy from them? I got a flier in the mail today.

lancem
01-22-2014, 06:43 PM
I have in the past. Got a heck of a deal on W German field jackets about 5 years ago, made great shop/work coats at $24 each new... Haven't seen any real good deals lately but really haven't been looking. Bought some 45 mags from them once, don't know what they would fit but not my 1911, sent them an email and they emailed me back a pick up tag to send them back. Their no BS return statement is true.

Butler Ford
01-22-2014, 06:45 PM
Yeah, they are usually higher than anyone else but they send you what you pay for. Many folks don't like them and accuse them of price gouging, whatever, they charge what people will pay.

BF

alamogunr
01-22-2014, 06:52 PM
I probably got that same circular. I haven't ordered from them in at least 10 years. I bought a Ruger Old Army stainless revolver at a good price and then separately bought a case(5000) Remington .22 target ammo. That was the 10 years ago. Only problem it wasn't well packaged and there were .22 shells everywhere and probably some got out. Couldn't have been many though.

I didn't see anything in the recent circular that I needed(wanted) so it went into the recycle bin.

uscra112
01-22-2014, 06:57 PM
I bought 7.5x55 ammo from them once. Don't buy clothing of any kind, however. Cheapest possible junk. I'm a bit dim - got victimized by them twice before I got wise. They waste at least 30 lbs of fliers on me every year. I don't buy anything from them anymore. I do keep them, however. Two years worth, well soaked in water, makes a good boolit test medium.

Bad Water Bill
01-22-2014, 07:01 PM
MANY years ago they were not bad. A major problem was advertising goods they did NOT have and had no idea if they ever would.

Then came the internet and I have only purchased one item from them.

Still a big (sort of) problem.

Mdse out of stock but will be in in April.

A fair price for something I had been looking for 2 years.

imagine my surprise when it showed up at my door 4 days after I placed the order.

richhodg66
01-22-2014, 07:02 PM
I've had good luck buying a lot of stuff from them over many years, I've even bought ammo from them with good results. Usually, everything is exactly as advertised, they ship fast and the couple of times I've had to return stuff, absolutely no problems. They do have some really neat deals on military surplus stuff from time to time.

They do send out a lot of paper catalogs. I usually peruse them once or twice and trash them unless something they have on sale sparks my interest.

DeadWoodDan
01-22-2014, 07:02 PM
second not buying clothing, shoes etc if it is there brand name not even ok quality. There shipping is outrageous so make sure you browse to buy anything and everything to make it worth it. I have been debating on placing an order for a couple items but they want $50 in shipping. still looking for another site to place one order.
dwd

dagger dog
01-22-2014, 07:16 PM
You get what they advertise, some of it is quality, some is not. They are reputable and honest. Do your homework research the item and the pricing.

shooterg
01-22-2014, 07:27 PM
I bought enough stuff from 'em it paid to join the "Buyer's Club". Some good surplus stuff and oddball things like an extension cord for a welder. No real steals, but no problems either.

jonas302
01-22-2014, 07:52 PM
I buy from them all the time yeah you have to watch some of the stuff read the reviews do your research just like anywhere else I haven't seen the surplus items that I buy any cheaper anywhere and I sure do shop around get on the email list they have free shipping and discounted shipping all the time
Returns have not been a problem either

FREE shipping on orders over $49 code SH1033 ends jan 31 2014

MrWolf
01-22-2014, 07:59 PM
I have purchased primarily ammo from them from time to time. As others stated, be careful when ordering clothing. They are ok on shipping, but will not ship a lot of gun related ( even tools) to New Jersey.

MT Gianni
01-22-2014, 08:03 PM
I used to buy from them in the 80's and 90's. They would send you junk ads and sell your name forever.

oldred
01-22-2014, 08:05 PM
Been buying from them for years, not the cheapest on everything but then neither is Wal-Mart, been quite satisfied and as someone else already said their no-hassle return policy is just that. I had no trouble returning a couple of wrong items even when I clearly explained that it was my mistake, over-all I like them better than most.

CastingFool
01-22-2014, 09:37 PM
I saw one of their ads in the American Rifleman once for a red dot sight for what seemed to be a good price, and you had to use a code of AR something or other. It was a Simmons sight, with dovetailed rings, perfect for a rimfire rifle. I went ahead and ordered the sight, which was something like $19.95. By the time they added the shipping and handling it was like $30. I thought, so much for a good deal. Never ordered from them, and never will.

Garyshome
01-22-2014, 10:38 PM
I got some 762x39 ammo from them last year for under $.19/round.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-22-2014, 10:55 PM
second not buying clothing, shoes etc if it is there brand name not even ok quality. There shipping is outrageous so make sure you browse to buy anything and everything to make it worth it. I have been debating on placing an order for a couple items but they want $50 in shipping. still looking for another site to place one order.
dwd

I buy from them all the time yeah you have to watch some of the stuff read the reviews do your research just like anywhere else I haven't seen the surplus items that I buy any cheaper anywhere and I sure do shop around get on the email list they have free shipping and discounted shipping all the time
Returns have not been a problem either

FREE shipping on orders over $49 code SH1033 ends jan 31 2014

My current Sportsman's Guide "HQ" flier has Free shipping on ANY ORDER.
code SH1563 expires 2/15/14

I order from them once in a while, Last week I noticed a couple things in this "HQ" flier, I ordered online as I also needed a couple Magazine quick Loaders that weren't in the flier, Their "regular" online price for #HKS 940 and #HKS 941 was $9.99 each. THAT beats everyone else, including Amazon and Natchez...I was surprised.
ANYWAY, free shipping all the way around.

MtGun44
01-23-2014, 02:22 AM
I have bought a lot of stuff from them over the years, especially surplus stuff, snowshoes, Swedish
army pants, other cold weather and outdoors clothing, a lot. Some survival gear, too. They
get some interesting items, but a lot isn't to my taste. Never been impressed even slightly with
their ammo prices, so left that alone.

Bill

plmitch
01-23-2014, 02:40 AM
Good stuff, good prices, worth buying from.

Czech_too
01-23-2014, 05:42 AM
What I've bought from them in the past has strictly been military surplus clothing. I figure it's good enough for work type clothes, it is sized small though.

bobthenailer
01-23-2014, 08:10 AM
Ive bought about 25 items over 20+ years, customer service is excellent ! but ony about 3/4 of the items i bought i was satisfied with, the other 1/4 i sent back, with no problems and a quick refund.

starnbar
01-23-2014, 08:18 AM
They have merged with northern tools so I am not certain if the ownership will continue to be the same. I hope their no BS return policy still works.

Bulldogger
01-23-2014, 09:41 AM
SG is good if you're careful. I never, NEVER, buy anything at the advertised price. As mentioned, they have been running a lot of free shipping incentives. Better than that though, search the internet for a coupon. There is always, ALWAYS!, a $10 or free shipping coupon to be had. You need to be in the buyers club, but it gets you 10% off all prices, and the ability to use the coupons.
If you're not sure about something, call them. It's toll-free to call, and I have called about sizes and such on items and the person who answered the phone has gone as far as to have a warehouse person pull one from stock and measure it for me. Once the lady had to do this, she told me to call back in a couple hours, gave me her name to ask for, and by golly it worked. I made the order with her, and when my $10 coupon was expired, she gave me the $10 off anyway. Calling in can get you some good service, they are very sales-oriented.

So "How to get good deals from SG"
1) Notice a few items you would like to buy, go online and start entering stuff in
2) accept the offer that pops up to join their buyer's club for $40
3) Immediately get 10% off, get a $20 gift card to use anytime in the next several months, and sometimes even get free shipping on top of that
4) peruse their flyers (briefly consider heating your house with them, you'll get so many)
5) spot something good in flyer, repeat the above steps.

SG isn't the first place I look, but they are very good at rooting out surplus equipment that often is in new, never issued condition. I have had great luck with most of it. Winter camo suits, wool navy bridge coats, leather police motorcycle jackets, holsters, you name it.

It's hard to find stuff sometimes in their online catalog, and if I see something I like I learned to save the flyer even if I don't want to buy it right now.

Last tip, the product codes change on items often. It might show up in one flyer for $39.99, and for $49.99 in the next, different code, and then if you keyword search it online a totally different code/price shows up. These codes equate to certain prices and every code still works.

So, save a catalog with a good price in it, as you won't likely be able to find that code/price electronically. I got some demilled Sten kits years ago for $39.99 instead of the advertised $69.99 by having the right code. And got $10 off, of course!

I wait for their deals to come to me, it's harder to force a deal with them, but with patience I find that it works out. I've bought ammo from them, though not lately, it's harder to find a deal with them, but they are there. The wait and see approach doesn't work well with ammo these days!

If you're not getting the price you like, call them, dicker a little. Sometimes it works.

Bulldogger

oldred
01-23-2014, 12:50 PM
They have merged with northern tools

That's interesting, I didn't know that but I shop with Northern a lot more than Sportsmans guide and I have in fact been a Northern customer since they had only the one location, were known as Northern Hydraulics and did not even have a real catalog.

Tonto
01-23-2014, 04:05 PM
Local here in Saint Paul, they have a great "showroom" of odds and ends and will pull stuff from the warehouse if you have catalog numbers. Got my 300 AAC Encore barrel there too.

KCSO
01-23-2014, 05:11 PM
If you do order from them be prepared for the spam... I get a flyer a week and an e mail twice a day.

Jal5
01-23-2014, 11:44 PM
Like several others I do my homework, research the item and the price and if its on sale and it is a time for free shipping i will buy it. Their return policy is one of the best, no questions asked. Joe

jonp
01-24-2014, 11:05 AM
I have bought a great deal from them over the years including their several divisions like Work Wear, Truck Stuff, Military Surplus. You just need to understand that if it is an off brand then the quality might not be what you are looking for although I have had good luck myself. The foreign mil surp is up and down mostly on sizes. Foreign sizes do not conform to US sizes so buyer beware on that stuff. I still have several British and Dutch Wool Sweaters that are fantastic and my sweety wears a British Army Sleeping Shirt constantly.
The WorkWear division has some good prices on sale/clearance stuff. I have a Dickies Jacket that I have worn for work daily for almost a year now and paid $15 for it.

Ohio Rusty
01-24-2014, 06:41 PM
They had alot of neat stuff years ago .... I liked all the real military surplus stuff. Bought a few things back then. Now ..... they look like China-mart with all the imported garbage.
Ohio Rusty ><>

jonp
01-25-2014, 11:06 AM
They had alot of neat stuff years ago .... I liked all the real military surplus stuff. Bought a few things back then. Now ..... they look like China-mart with all the imported garbage.
Ohio Rusty ><>
Mil-Surp is getting harder to find at reasonable prices. I have bought a pickup truck full of milsurp clothing from them and others over the years and it pretty much was great stuff. British Military Pants for $10, pack of 10 surplus wool blend blankets for $50, pure wool sweaters under $15. Now its tough to find anything at a price I could just go elsewhere and buy civilian for.

Dark Helmet
01-28-2014, 11:36 PM
Been generally very satisfied with my purchases from them. Have bought Guide Gear belts, shorts and work pants. Very serviceable. Purchased Wolverine work boots and Walls coats/jackets at reasonable pricing. Buyers Club worth it if you are going to purchase more than once/twice a year. Bought ammo when they had something I had use of at a fair price.

Bored1
01-29-2014, 12:41 PM
I've been happy with the few purchases I've made from them. Still have a 20$ giftcard I need to use, just can't ever decide what I actually want to order. End up spending way more than I plan cause theres always some nifty little thing I didn't know they sold when I go to place the order.