PDA

View Full Version : Krag receiver sight ??

Wolfer
01-22-2014, 06:37 PM
I have a 98 krag rifle that I really like but my old eyes don't work well with the sights anymore. All of my other iron sighted rifles wear a fiber optic front and Williams aperture rear.

I can't find anything listed in Brownells or midway for a krag. I know someone made them at one time but is anyone making them now?

Mr Peabody
01-22-2014, 07:00 PM
PM sent

Char-Gar
01-22-2014, 07:18 PM
Receiver sights for the Krag rifle were made by Pacific, Rice, Redfield, Lyman, Williams and some others. They are available on Ebay if you keep an eye peeled for a time.

swheeler
01-22-2014, 07:47 PM
I have a 98 krag rifle that I really like but my old eyes don't work well with the sights anymore. All of my other iron sighted rifles wear a fiber optic front and Williams aperture rear.

I can't find anything listed in Brownells or midway for a krag. I know someone made them at one time but is anyone making them now?

As far as i know williams still makes 5D and Midway has themhttp://www.midwayusa.com/product/957258/williams-5d-krag-receiver-peep-sight-american-krag-aluminum-black

historicfirearms
01-22-2014, 08:49 PM
Probably not much help, but my Krag has a Redfield receiver sight on it.

My grandmother bought the Krag for gramps in 1950. I remember the "serious" hunters chuckling at him for using the old war horse to hunt deer. It was always a very cool rifle in my eyes, and he got plenty of meat for the table over the years. Twenty years after grandpa died, my dad showed up with the Krag and gave it to me. I had no idea that dad even had it all those years.

adrians
01-22-2014, 09:21 PM
My sporter has a Pacific peep and I have a rice BUT it's missing the small mounting nut 'n' screw.

I haven't looked real hard for them but I'm sure I could make something work if I ever need to mount the peep on the bolt,, neat little gizmo's them rice peeps..

kootne
01-22-2014, 09:28 PM
Ditto on the Leroy Rice peep sight. Simple, streamlined, effective. But they are long out of print. They appear from time to time on Ebay, Gunbroker etc.
kootne

Frank46
01-23-2014, 12:28 AM
Google Gary Fellers, and check out what he has to offer. I believe the redfield sights for the Krag used the "NO DRILL" words as they used one of the screws for the sideplate on the left hand of the receiver. Frank

Jon K
01-23-2014, 09:53 AM
Redfield replaces cut off, use same screws on the Krag.

Jon

Char-Gar
01-23-2014, 11:37 AM
Redfield replaces cut off, use same screws on the Krag.

Jon

The Refield Krag sight uses a longer screw to replace the factory screw that hold on the magazine side plate. The threads on these screws are some weird French thread and can't be bought. However the barrel band screw is of the correct size and thread and can be adapted to hold the Redfield in place. However this means buying a barrel band with the screw and they are getting up their in price. What you have left is a barrel band with no screw, which has little value. Folks that looking to buy one, want the screw also.

Bottom line: If you buy a used Redfield, make certain the screw comes with it.

Wolfer
01-23-2014, 06:53 PM
I think Mr Peabody has me one on the way. It does appear that Midway has them now. I haven't looked in a while and I have trouble finding stuff on their website. I have no problem drilling and tapping and when I get something with an oddball screw I usually just tap it out the the next biggest screw I can get.

Adrians, does your bottom pic mount on the cocking piece?
Thanks for all the response guys, Woody

Finnmike
01-23-2014, 11:59 PM
Redfield 102K no drill sight.

adrians
01-24-2014, 11:43 AM
Wolfer, Yes the rice sits on the extractor bar .

The pin which holds the extractor in is replaced with a small screw which secures the peep to the bar and a matching nut will hold it there, the other small threaded hole near the aperture is for another screw which will allow you to set elevation and then the side screws will "lock " it in place.

you may be able to see how the Pacific sight is secured in the cut-off hole also.

Unfortunately I don't have the screw and nut but I'm sure I could cobble something up if I needed to(maybe!!!![smilie=1:)..

Char-Gar
01-24-2014, 01:41 PM
I have four Krag sporters. Two wear Lyman 48s, another a Redfield 80, and the last a Pacific as in the above pictures. They are all fine rifles, but my favorite is the one with the pacific. I bought it in 1960 for $15.00 and killed my first deer with it. It had belonged to an old dentist who had stopped hunting. It now wears an 03 front sight band with a Redfield Sourdough front sight in it. It is a fine old rifle.

adrians
01-24-2014, 02:35 PM
I have four Krag sporters. Two wear Lyman 48s, another a Redfield 80, and the last a Pacific as in the above pictures. They are all fine rifles, but my favorite is the one with the pacific. I bought it in 1960 for $15.00 and killed my first deer with it. It had belonged to an old dentist who had stopped hunting. It now wears an 03 front sight band with a Redfield Sourdough front sight in it. It is a fine old rifle.

One of those type sporters is on my bucket list,, nice ,very nice..:grin:

madsenshooter
01-24-2014, 04:42 PM
The Pacific comes in three flavors. One screw adjustable as pictured above, then there's one with target knobs that have five clicks per revolution, and finally another that has ten clicks per revolution. I have one of the latter, it'll be mine till I am no more.

Char-Gar
01-24-2014, 05:52 PM
My Pacific is the screw adjustable. It was on the rifle when I bought it.

Mk42gunner
01-25-2014, 11:40 AM
Adrians, What is the safety on your Krag? It reminds me of the Buehler that has been used on so many Mausers.

Robert

adrians
01-25-2014, 02:44 PM
Adrians, What is the safety on your Krag? It reminds me of the Buehler that has been used on so many Mausers.

Robert

:???: Don't have a clue Robert it was on the rifle when I got it, but now you mention it maybe someone will chime in and let us know.

It works great , that's all I can tell ya.

Bob S
01-26-2014, 02:19 AM
Redfield 102K. This is a "hunting" sight, required a screw driver to make adjustments.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/BobS1/Krag/Redfield102Kmounting3.jpg

Redfield 70KT. This as a "target" sight: micrometer clicks with finger adjustment knobs.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/BobS1/Krag/Redfield70KTmountingclamp.jpg

The Redfield 70 series are all micrometer click sights, but they were also available with "hunter" knobs that required a coin or a cartridge rim to turn the knob for adjustment. Sorry, I don't a file pic of my Krags with this variant of the 70K.

If you use a Redfield "no drill" sight on a M1898 Krag, be aware that you may have feeding problems. The M1898 had a shorter cut-off, and if you remove the cutoff to install the sight, cartridge rims may hang up in the empty mortice in the magazine. You need to notch the cut-off for the small bracket that protrudes into the cutoff mortice so you can leave the cutoff in the rifle. I think Buckshot has a good picture of this: I don't. The feeding issue does not seem to be a problem on the M1896 or 1892 rifles because these had a longer cut off, hence a longer mortice, and with the cutoff removed, the cartridges are starting to be directed into the chamber before the rim can catch on the sharp edge of the empty cutoff mortice.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

gnoahhh
01-26-2014, 02:36 PM
Long shot question: Anybody happen to have an extra screw/clip thingamajig that clamps on the back side of the Redfield "NoDrill" sight. I have a minty sight, but missing that part. I can see a way to make one, but would rather not.

I bought it with the intent of using it on the Krag sporter (if I ever get it finished), but then I found a mint Lyman 48 and am going to mount it instead.

Bob S
01-27-2014, 02:11 AM
I have been told the the lower band swivel screw for the Krag, M1903 and M1 (all the same thread) will fit, but I have never tried it. Observant ones will notice that in my picture of the Redfield 102K sight, the mounting screw is a socket-head cap screw ... the originals were simple fillister head slotted screws. I found something that was "close", and then annealed the hell out of it. The hardened receiver than "forms" the screw threads to fit with no harm to the receiver threads. The one pictured has been removed and replaced several times; the original side plate screw still fits as it should.

Don't ask what size I started with, that will take some research because I just don't remember. :roll:

Resp'y,
Bob S.

UBER7MM
01-27-2014, 07:10 PM
:???: Don't have a clue Robert it was on the rifle when I got it, but now you mention it maybe someone will chime in and let us know.

It works great , that's all I can tell ya.

Looks like a Timney Safety. Their 95 & 98 Mausers safety are of the same design. He ones I'm familiar with have a very small Allen head in stead of a slot screw. You may want to "Lock-Tite" the threads so that you don't loose the lever. Very nice rifle, by the way.
I hope this helps,

adrians
01-27-2014, 10:34 PM
Uber, after reading this ^^^^^, I did exactly what you suggested , I Blue Loctited that little screw in good 'n' tight.

Thanks for the tip sir....:grin:

Mk42gunner
01-30-2014, 08:24 AM
Looks like a Timney Safety. Their 95 & 98 Mausers safety are of the same design. He ones I'm familiar with have a very small Allen head in stead of a slot screw. You may want to "Lock-Tite" the threads so that you don't loose the lever. Very nice rifle, by the way.
I hope this helps,
IIRC, Timney bought the manufacturing rights to the safeties when Maynard Beuhler retired, or went out of business. Maybe from his estate?

Loctiting the screw is a good idea, the one that was on my 98a Mauser liked to back out.

Robert

PBSmith
11-20-2017, 10:05 PM
I wondered why no one else bid on the Redfield 102K that I just bought on gunbroker. Mystery solved. The reason could be that it lacks the replacement screw with the screwy French thread that Char-Gar mentioned here.

Since this thread was last active, has anyone come up with a source for that odd-ball screw? I read the solution by Bob S, but am reluctant to use my Krag's receiver as a threading die. And, I'd really rather not pirate the screw off the barrel band, though the band probably would hold just as well with a nut and bolt of suitable dimensions.

Can anyone tell me the correct length of the replaced screw that holds the sight to the receiver?

edit: that screw doesn't have a standard METRIC thread, does it?

Thanks, PBSmith

Gewehr-Guy
11-21-2017, 11:06 AM
PBSmith,the screw from my Krag measures

screw shank .175 dia. x 26 TPI
shank lenght .450
thread lenght .375
head dia. .240
OAL of screw .575

I checked a stacking swivel screw from a 1903, it's .182dia. x 26 tpi, too long and a little oversized, if you have one maybe it will fit your receiver threads and you can shim it up till you find a proper length screw. Hope this helps, Jim

KCSO
11-21-2017, 05:42 PM
I used the screw that was in the magazine plate to mount the sight. If you need one could cut another one when the silly season is over.

PBSmith
11-21-2017, 08:15 PM
[QUOTE=Gewehr-Guy;4209562]PBSmith,the screw from my Krag measures

screw shank .175 dia. x 26 TPI
shank lenght .450
thread lenght .375
head dia. .240
OAL of screw .575

I checked a stacking swivel screw from a 1903, it's .182dia. x 26 tpi, too long and a little oversized, if you have one maybe it will fit your receiver threads and you can shim it up till you find a proper length screw. Hope this helps, Jim[/Qhel

Thanks, Jim. Yes, your measurements help. The 10x24 thread size is close. I can understand how Bob got to this idea and why it worked. If nothing else surfaces, I might try it first in brass as a temporary solution.

PBSmith
11-21-2017, 08:20 PM
I used the screw that was in the magazine plate to mount the sight. If you need one could cut another one when the silly season is over.

KCSO, do you mean that you made a new screw that is longer than the issue screw in the magazine plate, or ???? I have the original screw from the plate, but it looks to me like the screw for attaching the Redfield 102K sight to the receiver will have to be about 1/8" longer. I can wait on the silly season if you are offering to make one. Thanks.

KCSO
11-21-2017, 09:16 PM
Mine fit it since I bought the gun sporterized I didn't measure it against a issue screw but I make my own screws all the time and metric is no problem. I just turned out a couple screws today for a set of French binoculars from the Civil War era. PM me with an address and I will let you know when I have one done. This goes with the sight.

PBSmith
11-21-2017, 09:35 PM
Mine fit it since I bought the gun sporterized I didn't measure it against a issue screw but I make my own screws all the time and metric is no problem. I just turned out a couple screws today for a set of French binoculars from the Civil War era. PM me with an address and I will let you know when I have one done. This goes with the sight.

PM sent. That's a Redfield 102K, not a 120 as I posted earlier. Yes, as I understand it, the sight originally came from Redfield with the longer screw, so if you have the same sight on your sporter, that's should be the same screw. Many thanks.

KCSO
11-21-2017, 09:35 PM
I apologise I thougt this was the guy who just bought a Krag sight from me, but if you PM I will still make you one when I get caught up.

KCSO
11-22-2017, 02:25 PM
Close but no cigar...the Krag was the last American rifle done with metric threads. This started with the copy of the Charleyville musket and carried through to the Krag. The 26 thread count is not quite right it is really 26.??? . If the threads are cut loose 26 will work for non critical applications. I would have to dig through my threading drawer to see what the actual thread size is. Not to worry on the plate screw as it is not stressed too much but I like to do them with the metric just to be right.

Gewehr-Guy
11-22-2017, 04:08 PM
KCSO, I'm the one who recently bought a sight from you,I haven't mounted it yet so didn't know it was missing.Let me know when you make them, I'll buy a couple of them. Do you go to the Yankton gun show?

PBSmith
11-22-2017, 08:34 PM
I apologise I thougt this was the guy who just bought a Krag sight from me, but if you PM I will still make you one when I get caught up.

No, I bought mine from a man in Wisconsin.

Big Stone Bob
03-15-2019, 10:33 AM
I recently inherited a sporterized 1896 with a Redfield micrometer receiver sight. The bottom of the peep bracket sits less than 1/4 inch above the extractor. Is there a way to remove the bolt without moving the sight?

gnoahhh
03-15-2019, 11:02 AM
I recently inherited a sporterized 1896 with a Redfield micrometer receiver sight. The bottom of the peep bracket sits less than 1/4 inch above the extractor. Is there a way to remove the bolt without moving the sight?

Just remove the slide, and yes it has to be gotten out of the way to get the bolt out. No need to remove the whole sight.

Texas by God
03-15-2019, 01:07 PM
I bought one at auction that came with "a screw"- not even close! LUCKILY I found a bolt with a correct thread and shoulder location. I just had to do surgery on it.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190315/c7fafb4433caef733ed5d5c4169079cc.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190315/faf5ee18c6f26c64981df3de7592e306.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Rich/WIS
03-17-2019, 11:55 AM
The band screw from an 03 Springfield will work but will need a bit of shaping.

Big Stone Bob
03-18-2019, 10:56 AM
Thanks, that's what I thought. Fortunately mine is a functional "click" adjustable micrometer with the adjustable zero plate so moving and resetting back to zero should not be a big deal.