PDA

View Full Version : Canauba Red vs BAC

ACrowe25
01-22-2014, 05:41 PM
Looking to get some opinions here.

I purchased 2 lbs of BAC almost a year ago for pan lubing and all was well. Wanted something softer allowing for easier cutting and it worked flawlessly. Only complaint is that when stored, it can get messy. Love the properties of no leading in my 45 acp, 44 mag, 38 spl, and 30-30. Just hate the mess at times.

Now have the lyman 4500 and can buy per stick and also have a heater.

So... Switching from BAC to CR will I still keep the great feat of NOT leading? Or will I be more prone to leading with the harder lube?

Probably won't be able to know FOR SURE until I try them both but just wondering if anyone has any experience switching back and forth and or if you successfully use CR in all the above listed calibers. I don't hot rod anything....

Funds are tight as always and would rather not waste unneeded money on buying CR if I'll lose a lot of the things I gained when switching to BAC in the first place. Thank you!

Echd
01-22-2014, 06:15 PM
If you're not hotrodding anything, I doubt you have any reason to swap. Why are you considering a change if you're happy with BAC?

dragon813gt
01-22-2014, 06:19 PM
2500+ is in between BAC and CR in hardness. This is what I decided in and works in everything from pistol rounds to full power 308 loads. Only downside is it doesn't look as pretty as CR. It will be a little tacky in the summer but not as bad as BAC.

pworley1
01-22-2014, 06:28 PM
The BAC can easily be melted and poured into the 4500. That is what I do with my home made lube.

ACrowe25
01-22-2014, 06:40 PM
That's not a problem... I pour now and have been for the last 6 months or so.

Why switch? As outline in my OP (at least I tried to lol!) I don't like how sticky it is. If I store the boolits things can get messy. A harder lube would IMO stay put and not cause excess lube needed to be wiped off. Maybe I'm wrong?

ACrowe25
01-22-2014, 06:41 PM
2500+ is in between BAC and CR in hardness. This is what I decided in and works in everything from pistol rounds to full power 308 loads. Only downside is it doesn't look as pretty as CR. It will be a little tacky in the summer but not as bad as BAC.

Any reason why you didn't want CR?

06ackley
01-22-2014, 06:53 PM
I also use BAC and really like it.I use it in pistols and my 358win.I just ordered some more but I also got some CR to try and I don't expect any problems with it either.Im sure if you got it it will work fine but Bac works and you know it does so...

prs
01-22-2014, 06:57 PM
I use a 450 lube/sizer with stick BAC. I do this inside so about 68F in winter and 72F in summer. No problem at all. I run the heater for about a half hour before beginning and no more. Actually, this is the stiffest lube I have used.

prs

dragon813gt
01-22-2014, 07:02 PM
Any reason why you didn't want CR?

Because I only need to use a heater w/ 2500+ this time of year. Lately I've been sizing and lubing when I want to shoot. When it's warmer I just set up the LAM and have at it. No need to wait for a heater to warm things up. The velocity threshold of 2500+ is in line w/ how I load as well. I don't really push anything so it works great. Having to always use a heater is a minor inconvenience and you can't go wrong w/ any of White Label's products. I'm actually ready to order more and was debating using CR. So I can store bullets loosely in an ammo can, like I currently do, and not have to deal w/ lube tackiness in the summer.

ACrowe25
01-22-2014, 07:13 PM
That's exactly what I like... It's more of an inconvience to have to STACK my boolits nice and even with BAC or they turn into a huge clump of hg#68 lol. I think I'll just order 5 sticks or so and worst comes to worst... Sell it or something lol. Besides $15 or whatever it is... Isn't too bad.

ACrowe25
01-22-2014, 07:14 PM
Your much more "veteran" than me though dragon. See any problems I could encompass? 90% of my shooting is with 200 gr SWC at 5.3 gr 231.

dragon813gt
01-22-2014, 08:07 PM
I am far from a veteran. I'm really a novice but I do have strong opinions. And I usually make decisions when I only have a quarter of the knowledge I need to make an intelligent one :laugh:

2500+ won't give you a big mass of bullets that the lube has run out of. But it will impart some lube onto the noses and bases of the surrounding bullets. Only takes a rag to remove. But still an extra step. And after this thread it looks like I'm leaning towards CR so I can put some up for long term storage.

ACrowe25
01-22-2014, 08:33 PM
I am far from a veteran. I'm really a novice but I do have strong opinions. And I usually make decisions when I only have a quarter of the knowledge I need to make an intelligent one :laugh:

2500+ won't give you a big mass of bullets that the lube has run out of. But it will impart some lube onto the noses and bases of the surrounding bullets. Only takes a rag to remove. But still an extra step. And after this thread it looks like I'm leaning towards CR so I can put some up for long term storage.

LOL, hey... compared to me... you're a vet. Only been at this for just over a year. But in that time probably had 10k boolits fired :)

rockrat
01-22-2014, 08:44 PM
I didn't like the stickiness of the BAC, so started melting 4 sticks of BAC and 2 CR in a pan and use that. Little sticky when I use a heater on my Star (somewhat cool in the shop), but once the blend cools, its fine.

ACrowe25
01-22-2014, 08:46 PM
That might be a good idea, just have no lube stick mold and have tried to make some things laying around and it just wasn't worth it. Poured lube everywhere lol. So... Sticking to the premade lube sitcks and for Lar's price you just can't beat it...

Firebricker
01-22-2014, 09:00 PM
I use CR on everything from light .38spl to rifle loads with no problems so I can not see it giving you any problems. I believe BAC,CR and 2500 all work well just have different hardness levels to suit individual needs. If you want to be sure let me know and I'll send you a half stick of CR and you can try it before you order. FB

ACrowe25
01-22-2014, 09:09 PM
I use CR on everything from light .38spl to rifle loads with no problems so I can not see it giving you any problems. I believe BAC,CR and 2500 all work well just have different hardness levels to suit individual needs. If you want to be sure let me know and I'll send you a half stick of CR and you can try it before you order. FB

I appreciate it! But, will probably just order anyways. Send LAR a PM to get his opinion to add to the opinion bank here, and I'll make my decision off that. With the high price of shipping (almost $6) it is just as affordable to purchase 2 sticks as it is 10 lol.

**oneshot**
01-22-2014, 09:14 PM
I use a mix of BAC and Cred for mine. 3 parts BAC 1 part Cred. I did it to firm up the BAC and prevent the boolits from sticking together as bad as they were when stored. I have not seen any drawbacks to this mix from 22 hornet, 41mag, 3030, 7br, 308.

Hardcast416taylor
01-22-2014, 09:31 PM
I use a mix of BAC and Cred for mine. 3 parts BAC 1 part Cred. I did it to firm up the BAC and prevent the boolits from sticking together as bad as they were when stored. I have not seen any drawbacks to this mix from 22 hornet, 41mag, 3030, 7br, 308.

I also melt and mix the 2 lubes, however I mix mine on a 2 BAC to 1 C. Red ratio.Robert

runfiverun
01-22-2014, 09:38 PM
I'd click on their website down below and read the descriptions of their different lubes.
I used to make my own bac by melting 2 sticks of 50-50,adding a stick of carnuba red and a tsp of lanolin.
this worked out to be a pretty good semi-soft not too sticky lube that served me well for a looong time, I didn't change until I developed my moly complex lube.

Loudenboomer
01-22-2014, 10:35 PM
I gave up on all the mixing and switching. I just use BAC in every thing. No complaints. Even the 35 whelen @ 2500 is happy :)

Duckiller
01-23-2014, 12:21 AM
Started out lubeing with JAVILINA, 50/50 beeswax and alox. I was a sticky mess in the summer. Got CR and never looked back. Rifle or hand gun it works for all of them and doesn't turn into a sticky mess. And its pretty.

fredj338
01-24-2014, 02:31 AM
I prefer CR in my star, just not as messy on warm days. It's much softer than Magma lube, just not as sticky as BAC. It will need some heat for best flow.

doghawg
01-24-2014, 12:58 PM
I've used BAC for several years and my only complaint is the sticky storage. Just recently picked up a LAMII and have CR in it. It's too early (and cold) to tell but based on my last range trip I'm not sure if CR is going to be a good choice in sub-zero temps. Proven mid-range .454 loads gave me fliers which may have been shivering operator error and some leading.
I was hoping CR would be the answer for year round use but need to try more of it while global warming is still in effect....:wink:

Dale53
01-24-2014, 01:11 PM
I have used Carnauba Red for several years with complete satisfaction. It ended all of the aggravation of ammo left in a hot car during the hot summer months. It DOES require heat for application. I use the flat Lyman heater on my Star (is also drilled and tapped for RCBS and Lyman heaters). I use a rheostat to keep the temperature "just right". I let my tool heat up for fifteen or twenty minutes before application. If I am in a hurry, I use the heat gun to warm the sizer to avoid a delay (yeah, sometimes I get impatient:roll:).

I used to make my own lube but, other than black powder cartridge lube, I use nothing but Lars White Label Carnauba Red these days (just laid in a new supply).

FWIW
Dale53

tward
01-24-2014, 07:54 PM
I use both BAC and CR, like them both, no leading! Just another thought, why not dust lubed Boolits with mica or talcum powder, keeps them from sticking together? Tim

jrayborn
01-26-2014, 09:59 AM
I bought a Star when I first started and used BAC very successfully with everything I shot. I wanted something a bit less messy and tried CR and now it's all I use.

CR needs a bit of heat, and it still will get a bit sticky if you store your sized boolits like I do (in a plastic peanut butter jar :) ) but I love it and always make sure I have a bunch on hand. Saying all that, BAC is still a fantastic lube, just too soft for me.

winchester 71
01-28-2014, 12:30 AM
BAC is sticky and picks up dirt and dust..........

kayak1
01-28-2014, 02:26 AM
I love CR, works like 2500 (adding some heat) but it's not messy and sticky.

ShooterAZ
01-28-2014, 10:03 AM
I am another one that blends BAC with CR. 3/1 or 4/1 depending on the season. Far less stickiness and still doesn't need heat.

zomby woof
01-29-2014, 07:32 PM
I mix CR and 2500. I get less smoke than 2500 alone.

dgb553
02-06-2014, 09:23 PM
Your much more "veteran" than me though dragon. See any problems I could encompass? 90% of my shooting is with 200 gr SWC at 5.3 gr 231.

I have a pair of Kimbers and a Smith 625. My main load is a 200 gr. SWC H&G 68 copy on top of 4.8 grs. of Bullseye. I use a Lyman 450 with a Lyman base heater, I've installed a light dimmer switch to control the temperature. It is the slide variety and I leave set at just about half way. That is just about the right temperature for CR. I buy it by the 1 pound slab which is the cheapest way to buy it. I melt it in a tin can and pour into the 450 instead a using a stick. Cr gives me low smoke and no leading, for me it's perfect!

Lee
02-07-2014, 03:30 AM
Good thread. For us lazy/computer challenged, any quick links to recipes for these 2 lubes?? (CR and BAC) Thanks, could save some looking time ...... Lee

PbHurler
02-07-2014, 08:11 AM
Good thread. For us lazy/computer challenged, any quick links to recipes for these 2 lubes?? (CR and BAC) Thanks, could save some looking time ...... Lee

Lee,
Some here may know what's in BAC & Carnauba Red lubes but I don't think they'd divulge the ingredients. Glenn Larsen at White Lable Lubes makes & sells it for income. Until Glenn decides to provide the recipes to us, we should just support a great guy with great products & purchase from him.

I like to make my own stuff as well, but I'll continue to purchase from & support Glenn for these lubes.

(I haven't been here as long as you and I hope I've not come off as sounding snarky)

Houndog
02-07-2014, 08:37 AM
I use both BAC and CR, like them both, no leading! Just another thought, why not dust lubed Boolits with mica or talcum powder, keeps them from sticking together? Tim

Give that man an atta boy! I've been using BAC on everything forever and doing just that! I put about 1/8 teaspoon of Mica (purchased from Midway) in a 2 pound Butter container filled about 3/4 full of sized and lubed boolets, snap on the lid and tumble them by hand for about 2 minutes. No more sticky boolets! I ALWAYS wipe the bottoms of my boolets on a shop rag as I load them, powdered with Mica or not. Simple,easy and works for me!