PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here shoot & reload .25 ACP and .32 ACP? Need some info . .

bedbugbilly
01-22-2014, 02:43 PM
It may not be the right thread to post this in but I'm hoping to snag some folks who shoot .25 and .32 ACP - and to hear what pistols they are using and if they reload for them . . .

In the past year, I've passed up a couple of cheap (price wise) .25 and .32 ACP pistols primarily because I've never shot either caliber and I was busy with my .38 spls and 9mm reloading. I'm getting stuff around so I can reload .380 - primarily because I have a friend who has one and I'll probably add one to the herd. He has a Smith .380 Bodyguard - I'm thinking maybe a Bersa as I had a Thunder .380 CC at one time that worked great.

Anyway . . . I know nothing about .25 and .32 ACP - other than they are often considered "mouse guns". LOL

I like to try "new" things and I'd probably get set up to reload either the .25 or the .32 if it isn't a PITA?

So, anybody here shoot and reload for either caliber? If so . . .

How hard is range brass to come by? Or new casings?

What primers are used in them? I'm assuming small pistol but somewhere, I read that the .25 is "boxer primed"? Is the .32 as well?

I cast all of my own bullets so I'd need to get a mold - a set of dies - etc. but not an extravagant investment. With the cartridges being so small . . . just how much of a pain are they to reload?

Loading and shooting them would just be "for fun" - not interested in either for SD.

Any information of the reloading of either cartridge would be greatly appreciated. What size/wt. slug - what you're using for powder and gr. wt., etc. would also be helpful and interesting.

Thanks.

prsman23
01-22-2014, 03:31 PM
I reload .32. Don't think I'd go down to .25. The charges are very small and not much wiggle room between min and max in .32.
I load them for my walther pp collection. Haven't loaded cast in them, but if I recall the powder charge isn't much over a grain of bullseye for a 71gr fmj

I had to get the xs powder bar for the my Dillon 550. It meters pretty well but just to be on the safe side I do check every 5 instead of 10.

Normal SPP for the 32 and 25.
It's kind of a pain, but less pain than buying loaded ammo at those prices lol

AlaskanGuy
01-22-2014, 03:50 PM
Be prepared if you load the .25 them little buggers are a pain..... Tiny charges, tiny boolits, and quite a few screwed up cases.... But, can be very rewarding... I cast for the .25... Boolits are nice, getting them into the case is the tricky part... I load a ranch dog bullet over 1.5-1.7 gr 800x... It dont meter worth a crapola, but it can be done... Just take your time, triple check your droppings... I hand weigh every single one.....

AG

Dale53
01-22-2014, 04:24 PM
C.E. "Ed" Harris on the Cast Bullet Association Forum has a good bit of "real world" information on the .32 ACP. Ed is a former staffer of the NRA and a former Development Engineer at Ruger, so his information is excellent.

Take a look at this thread:

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/forum/view_topic.php?id=8113&forum_id=48

I, personally, prefer a revolver for that use, but that's just a matter of personal preference.

FWIW
Dale53

Harry O
01-22-2014, 05:20 PM
No experience with the .25. I have loaded the .32 for years with both lead and jacketed. Boxer primed cases are what you want for reloading. Stay away from Berdan primed. I still get Berdan primed on occasion in 9mm, but I can't remember the last time I got one in .32. If you do run into one, you will know it when the decapping pin breaks. Use standard small pistol, not magnum.

Check the sized case in the chamber of your gun before loading. I have a pre-WWII Walther PPK that has a tight chamber. Several loading dies I have don't size it down enough for that one. The loading dies do OK for other .32's I have. I have a way to size it down for the Walther, but it is a lot of work and I won't go into it unless you need to. Once you find it is sized properly, you are good to size all of them.

You need a fast powder because of the small case. Bullseye, Red Dot, and 231 all work. 231 meters the best, Bullseye next, and Red Dot last. Unique is too slow. The amount of powder is very small, with very little difference from min to max. Check the books for amounts. For cast bullets, Lyman has a 77gr RN that works well. Medium hardness (Bhn 10 or so) works well. I size them 0.312" and use NRA 50/50 lube.

I have found that a very small amount of roll crimping helps the accuracy, probably since I have mixed headstamped cases. Normally, semi-auto handgun cartridges don't use a roll crimp, but you can in this one because the case is semi-rimmed.

The .32 is the smallest case I reload and it is sometimes a difficult to grasp because it is so small. It is not the easiest case in the world to reload because of that, but otherwise, it is not difficult.

pworley1
01-22-2014, 05:46 PM
The 32acp is not to bad to handle once you get your routine worked out. I shoot the Lyman 311252 over 2g of Unique through Colt, Browning, Walther, and even an old Bayard with no misfeeds or leading.

CNTSHOOTSTRT
01-22-2014, 05:48 PM
I do reload for the 25 Acp. but I do not use cast Boolits, I use Sierra 50gr fmj and 35gr. Gold dots. The pistol I have is an old German Ortgies. It is an interesting pistol as it does not have one single screw or nut on it. Is it worth reloading for the 25, well they are if you enjoy the reloading process. I know in my area just about the only 25 auto to be bought is the aluminum blazer and my pistol does not like the primers in those cases, plus it is not very cheap to buy factory loads. I have used unique hp-38 and bullseye all with good results. One thing about the 25 Acp case is there is a very fine margin between your starting load and the max load. In some instances there is only .2 of a grain between start and max load. Primers are small pistol and the dies I used are Lee carbide dies, they are cheap and work great! At one time I was looking for a mold for the 25 but I gave up my search for one. I am sure someone out there makes one!

Reg
01-22-2014, 06:21 PM
Seating bullets in the .32 ACP can be a bit of a challenge but use the 20 degree chamfer tool and really put a good chamfer on the case then follow up with only a medium, to light crimp, you can get by with this crimp as the .32 ACP is a semi rimmed casing. Do not exceed the max. over all length. Have had best luck with the 71 grain bullets. Have tried heavier but you run into pressure problems seating the heavier bullets to the correct depth. Going to the correct overall length means that bullet is deeper in the case and will raise pressures. They are hard to find but look around and try to find a loaded cartridge gage. I think L.E. Wilson made them a few years back but am not sure if they still offer same. I had to make up one. Very important to check each and every one as there seems to be a lot of difference out there in different brass manufacturers.
Loading this little shell does present some problems but all can be overcome with just a bit of work and thinking. Have no experience (yet !! ) with the 25 but I bet it would work out about the same.
As far as performance goes, no --- it;s not a .44 Mag by any means but I sure wouldn't want to be shot with one.
Most of the little 32's especially the little P32 KelTec are very tiny and do pack a bit of a wallop. Are very easy to hide out on anyone.

Outpost75
01-22-2014, 07:55 PM
The Ed Harris articles indicate that heavier bullets in the .32 ACP are no problem if you have the right bullet. I have used his loads with good results in a whole ditty bag full of various WW2 bringbacks. Walthers, CZs, Colts, Ruby's, FNs, Berettas, Brownings....

More info on this thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?155089-From-Handloads-com-quot-Experiences-with-a-32-quot

Below is the link to a group buy discussion for a light weight .30 cal. flatnosed plinker and small game bullet for .30 cal. rifles, but also useable in the .32 ACP, .30 Luger and 7.62x25.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?226399-HM2-light-30-cal-plinker-6-cav&highlight=7.62x25

Discussion and expressions of interest are welcome so that JT can assess if there is enough demand to make this.

bedbugbilly
01-22-2014, 08:00 PM
Thanks fellas - greatly appreciate the information. I figured there wouldn't be much difference in the min/max load . . and that it would be mighty small.

I like bullseye for my 9mm loads . . . in fact I like it very much for my 38spls as well . . . if I can get it. I was able to get 2# of it a while back and am always on the prowl for it . . it's hit and miss at the places I go to for supplies.

I'll keep my eyes open for either a .25 or a .32 and see what I can come up with. I know the cartridges are small and probably not easy to handle . . . I just like trying "new things" and I really enjoy the reloading process . . . sometimes more than the shooting itself if that's possible? :-) Whatever I come up with, it would probably be best to buy bullets to get started and get my feet wet that way . . then, if I'm not totally frustrated . . move on and get a mold and cast 'em.

Many thanks again . . . enjoyed hearing your thoughts and what/how you do it!

Poygan
01-22-2014, 08:58 PM
I load and cast for the .25acp. Pistol is a Beretta Jetfire. Surprisingly accurate for a tiny pistol. Molds are the RCBS in the 50 grain round nose and a two cavity Ranch Dog tumble lube boolit. The Ranch Dog may be a bit heavier than 50 grain and has a flat nose. Yes, they are small to cast, lube and load. I weigh each charge due to the tiny amount of fast powder. Picking up the empties is not fun if someone has been shooting .22s in the same area. Yes, it is a mouse gun caliber... but its better than the .44 magnum you left at home.

RED333
01-22-2014, 09:11 PM
I carry a Bauer 25 ACP every day. I do cast and reload and it is a PIA.
How ever it is rewarding to work with. The boolit takes very little lead(50 grans),
.5 grans of powder and I go slow at reloading.
Yes, some of the 25 brass is "boxer", and the rest is reload-able.
They do take SPP, I did luck into a few 25 cases pre primed.

smkummer
01-22-2014, 09:23 PM
Yep, I load and cast for both. 1908 Colt vest pocket in 25 and 1903 colt pocket hammerless in 32. As stated, the little 25 is a PITA because of its very small size. In fact I cant remember the last I shot it and still have some ammo ready to go. The lyman mold that I have is discontinued, so you might just want to buy some factory and see if you really will go though the hassle to reload it. I also have a Colt junior in 22 short that I prefer and of course leave the rimfire empties. Now the 32 auto is a different story as its such a sweet shooter being somewhat big by todays standard for a 32 auto but that is what makes it so nice. The empties are easy to separate from 22 rimfire unlike 25 auto. Bullet molds are made by many. Since I cast for this cartridge I am shooting for about 1/2 of what scalpers are wanting for 22LR. Standard loading blocks still don't work for this small cartridge as .380 doesn't work well also. just my .02. All of my brass was just picked up at the range from people leaving it.

FergusonTO35
01-22-2014, 09:45 PM
I've put alot of lead down range in my .32's, mostly my Kel-Tec. My carry load is 2.1 grains Hodgdon Titewad (not Titegroup) under a 76 grain lead flat point and Federal Gold Medal primer at .945 OAL. I cast my own slugs with a four cavity mold from Accurate. Fiocchi brass is my favorite because its almost rimless but Remington, S&B, and Winchester work well too. This load clocks 890 fps over my chronograph out of my Kel-Tec and nearly duplicates the higher pressure European ammo. 2.5 grains of Bullseye will do the same thing but it felt hot to me in terms of recoil and somewhat flattened primers. Titewad meters perfectly from my Lee Auto Disk and RCBS Uniflow and fills the case well. Perhaps best of all, this powder is completely ignored by most reloaders so it's almost always available. 1.9 grains makes a nice practice load.

Like other fast powders Titewad builds pressure very quickly so be cautious. Really fast powder is what the little .32 needs even in comparison to other pistol cartridges. .45 Auto is the only pistol cartridge I've ever seen Titewad data for. it is close to Red Dot in burn rate so I think you can cautiously use published data for that powder. I'm not planning to go beyond 2.1 grains of Titewad in .32 Auto. That produces the kind of performance I want so theres no need to push my luck any farther. I'm going to try Titewad in my new S&W 642, I think super fast powder is what short barrels need. I'll also try Accurate Nitro 100 when I get the chance.

Published reloading data velocity is always optimistic, usually measured in barrels much longer than the norm. There is .38 Special data out there from one of the major powder companies that was created using an eight inch barrel. Other than a few old timers shooting long barrel K-38's that isn't doing the rest of us any good. In .32 Auto the reloader really needs to have some way of measuring the average performance of ammo in a particular gun, such as penetration testing or a chronograph. Much of the current data out there is actually decades old and hails from the time when most .32 Auto hand guns had longer barrels, such as the Walther PP and Browning designs. It may not even reflect the current composition of powders. Many, such as Bullseye and Unique, have been reformulated and made in different factories over the years. For example, current Bullseye is alot slower burning than the old Hercules version. With this awareness and a willingness to experiment with due caution, the reloader can still make very good ammo. I know I certainly have.

DeanWinchester
01-22-2014, 09:48 PM
I carry a Bauer 25 ACP every day. I do cast and reload and it is a PIA.
How ever it is rewarding to work with. The boolit takes very little lead(50 grans),
.5 grans of powder and I go slow at reloading.
Yes, some of the 25 brass is "boxer", and the rest is reload-able.
They do take SPP, I did luck into a few 25 cases pre primed.

A few cases? Really? Just a few?
:shock::shock:

singleshot
01-22-2014, 10:04 PM
Keep in mind: boxer primed cases are reloadable with standard dies, berdan primed cases are reloadable IF you use non-standard tools and berdan primers.

RED333
01-22-2014, 10:49 PM
A few cases? Really? Just a few?
:shock::shock:

Well, maybe a bit more than a few. LOL
So ya heard?
I went to his place, he gave me the whole box.

DeanWinchester
01-22-2014, 10:51 PM
That's how he rolls. Be a lamb and whip him a box or two. He's building a little inventory and is really 'grateful' when he gets help.

texassako
01-23-2014, 11:36 AM
I load for both, and started to because of the ammo price. Load for the .32 ACP first and see how you like handling little components and charges. The .25 ACP is not as forgiving and the few mold designs are harder to find. A homemade powder scoop once you know your load comes in handy with the .25 since there are not many meters that dump accurate 1-1.5 gr charges.

FergusonTO35
01-23-2014, 10:19 PM
It depends on the powder. Some will meter just fine down to this range, others won't even meter in the .38/9mm range. I have found that Hodgdon powders tend to meter the best in tiny amounts.

Mohillbilly
01-31-2014, 05:48 PM
Find a 1903 colt .32 ACP and buy a couple boxes of premium for carry. A Ruger single six in 32 H&R for shooting and reloading. A Ruger is more fun , and will shoot .32 S&W long and short, .32 H&R magnum , and will also shoot the ACP round .Power levels for target , blast'n, and bunny/squirrel , and the ability to shoot all that different brass without a cylinder change . Or a Ruger SP 101 in 327 federal and shoot all the above and 327. depends if you want long barrels or short , adjustable sights. I have one each but find the single six easy , fun, and most versatile . The Colt and SP101 are more for concealed carry. For reloading .32 is OK 25 is a pia . .25 is more a virginity protector , When she says NO with that she MEANS no ......

lup
01-31-2014, 05:59 PM
25acp Beretta 21a pistol.

50 grain fmj jacketed bullets are its main food. Powder charges almost need to be hand weighed since that charges are so small, the space for error is nil.

It's a fun alternative to shooting 22lr at similar recoil.

Good Cheer
01-31-2014, 07:32 PM
313249 is all I have ever loaded in the .32ACP. Gave the Lyman data a Jack Elam stare, started a tad lower and worked my way up to reliable functioning. Good enough.

RogerDat
01-31-2014, 09:05 PM
In Detroit a few years back an armed robber shot the clerk of the store with a .25 caliber during the robbery but the bullet went through a box on the counter of... I kid you not Hamburger Helper and despite hitting the clerk lacked the power to penetrate the skin after going through the dried food.

I don't know if the armed robber was a virgin or not. :-)

I am following this thread with interest I have a grandson that would shoot me into the poor house burning through .32 ammo if I would let him. Kicks just enough to feel "powerful" without destroying his accuracy so it is by far his favorite.

rintinglen
02-01-2014, 01:42 PM
I have only reloaded the 25 ACP once, with jacketed bullets, but my recollections are not warm and fuzzy. Those little bullets and cases are definitely a pain to handle. I do not have particularly large hands, but I had difficulty in manipulating them.
On the other hand, the 32 ACP and I have become friends in the last few years. I was using the RCBS 32-84, but it did not hit to point of aim in my Tomcat, but then a couple of years ago, I bought a Ranch Dog 314-75. Hot dawg! It has proven to be accurate and reliable in all three of my 32 ACP's, as well as my S&W hand ejector. Ranch Dog has turned his energies to other efforts, but mayhap Lee will pick it up as they did his excellent 380 boolit.
This is a picture of my FN 1922 with a holster I made on top of a target showing a group shot with the above mentioned RD 314-75 and 2.2 grains of WW-231.

Bullshop
02-01-2014, 02:32 PM
I load some 32 acp but not for an acp. I shoot them in a 32 mag revolver. 32 acp has just enough rim to work in a revolver chambered for any of the straight 32's

bob208
02-01-2014, 03:51 PM
I load for the .32 acp. I use a cast bullet from a lyman mold. it works in my 1910 browning llama special and French mab.

FergusonTO35
02-02-2014, 10:12 PM
I think factory .25 ammo is intentionally very watered down due to all the cheap and old/deteriorated guns out there. I think that one could create effective ballistics with this cartridge with diligent experimentation and a strong gun.

Petrol & Powder
02-07-2014, 10:05 AM
I played with a few 32 ACP guns, mostly Beretta Tomcats and Colt 1903's. They were fun to shoot and the Beretta was far more accurate than most will assume. That being said, I never truly warmed up to the concept. I found .380Auto cartridges to be more frustrating to reload than I wanted, I certainly didn't want to scale that process down to 25's and 32 autos, but some people do.
As for the 25 auto, I've shot a couple, including some good quality models. The 25 auto holds absolutely no appeal for me. I understand some of the history of that cartridge but it persistence perplexes me.

dougader
02-08-2014, 03:48 PM
50 grain fmj over 1.4 grains W231 works perfectly as well as any factory ammo I've ever used in 25 auto. Never a messed up case, the real problem is finding those tiny cases when you fire the gun!

Freischütz
02-08-2014, 08:10 PM
Decide how you're going to catch the cases when they eject. Otherwise a lot of brass will not come back from the range.

trapper9260
02-09-2014, 08:47 AM
I reload 32acp only in cast and I try first with factory loads and it did not shoot good and then I done cast for what I made up it was right on for me .I have a p32 kel tec .I size the cast to .312.i also shoot the same round in my Ruger BH of 327. The ones of other 32 I size them to 313 .Like the 327 and 32H&R,32S&W Long and 32 S&W