PDA

View Full Version : Priming on a holleywood?

starmac
01-22-2014, 01:36 AM
I actually like priming on my Holly 3 turret press, but I'm limited to calibers to what shell holders I have, and haven't got around to getting a universal shell holder yet. When I get one where I can use the rcbs type shell holders, will it hold the case to high to prime with the priming arms or is it designed to set low enough?

smokeywolf
01-22-2014, 01:46 AM
Not sure on that one. Don't use "universal" shell holders on my Hollywood. LUBEDUDE should be able to answer that one for you.

smokeywolf

winelover
01-22-2014, 09:47 AM
I don't resize or prime with my Hollywood Senior Turret. Keeps the residue off and looking like new.

I prefer to hand prime, anyways.

Winelover

Kevin Rohrer
01-22-2014, 05:19 PM
As I recall, the height is not a problem. I think I had an issue w/ with the hole on either the universal shellholder or the RCBS shellholder being a smidgen (scientific term) too small to accept the fat Hollywood primer cup. A drill bit would solve the problem, though.

ReloaderFred
01-22-2014, 05:22 PM
You may have to remove the spring on the primer arm, but some are built taller than others, so it depends on which one you have. I have several, and they all seem to vary in height somewhat.

I have no trouble priming on either of my Hollywood Seniors using the universal adaptor, but I normally use an RCBS press mounted AP tool on my Rockchucker for priming these days. I just find it more convenient.

Hope this helps.

Fred

LUBEDUDE
01-22-2014, 10:28 PM
My experience mirrors Kevin's and Fred's.

With Seniors, height is not an issue.

With the Universals it can be, depending upon the length/height of the primer post. There seems to be different ones out there. When I bought my adaptor from CH4D for less than $12 , I had to make an extension with all- thread and a collar to get the proper length.
However, as Kevin mentioned, my bigger problem was needing to enlarge the hole in various shell holders. They are all not the same diameter between manufacturers.

starmac
01-23-2014, 04:37 PM
Thanks guys, I had not even thought about the hole in the shell holders.