PDA

View Full Version : Making Shot

RonK
01-21-2014, 11:19 PM
Is anyone making #4 and #5 shot successfully. If so, what equipment are you using?

Garyshome
01-22-2014, 12:22 AM
I have made#00 [Lee] but not #4 yet I have a lee mold that's NIB & ready to go.

runfiverun
01-22-2014, 12:50 AM
the Littleton shot makers are capable of making about any size of shot from #3 or so on down to #8-1/2.
they use a different sized nozzle for the different sizes of shot.

shootinfox2
01-22-2014, 10:47 AM
i talked to Magma yesterday. they are not making the Littleton right now.

Walter Laich
01-22-2014, 01:30 PM
Never really saw great looking shot from the Littleton but then haven't seen a bunch of pics, either.
I would have tried it but too much $$ for unknown quality.
Any first hand info about quality?

runfiverun
01-24-2014, 02:51 AM
they are real simple machines, a hot plate, a lead reservoir, and some nozzles [different sizes for different sizes of shot] to let the lead drip down onto a ramp where it falls into a cooling oil of some sort.
some use a water soluble oil, some use dish soap, some use anti-freeze.
the quality control comes from regulating the alloys heat, the distance the shot drops, and the temp of the liquid the shot drops into.

bullet maker 57
01-24-2014, 07:45 AM
I have a Littleton shot maker set up for 7.5. The shot is not perfectly round. I cannot see a difference in performance between store bought shot and what I make. It still breaks birds. I drop the shot into propolyne glycol to cool it. I pump the coolant thru a small coil to regulate the temp. Clean, sift, dry, and tumble in a cement mixer with a little bit of graphite. Store in clean juice bottles. I can make between 35 to 50 lbs an hour.

Pete

RonK
01-24-2014, 04:10 PM
Using a James Stewart machine for #6 to #9 with great success and it is an excellent machine, makes very good shot at the rate of about 70# per hour. Talked to James and he said IMPOSSIBLE to make anything larger than #6 with his equipment. I have a real need to make #4 and #5 but can not find any reliable info as of yet on the process. Would appreciate any help on this matter.
Also, anyone tell me what the significant difference is between loading with the 45ACP cases with Large and Small primers?

RonK
01-24-2014, 04:12 PM
Pete.......You need to pay close attention to the distance of the drop for the shot...that 1/4" between the lip of the machine and the coolant surface is critical, and the depth of the container with your coolant is also very important...we found tht you really need at least 8" of depth for the coolant tank to get best results.

bullet maker 57
01-24-2014, 04:19 PM
RonK, The drop is about 1/4 of an inch and the coolant depth is 7 inches. the shot is not oblong, just not perfectly round.

boltaction308
01-27-2014, 10:10 PM
Ronk

Very good info, can you explain why the distance is critical, I would think the longer the better, isnt that the way commercial shot towers work, drop a real long distance

dbosman
01-28-2014, 05:22 PM
Distance is what made old shot towers work. Very high towers, many of which broke under the weight of the lead and melting equipment.
Modern shot isn't made in towers. Home made shot comes out the nipple, rolls a slight distance, drops approximately .25 inches into a slightly thick fluid that you try to keep very warm and circulating.

Ronk
Very good info, can you explain why the distance is critical, I would think the longer the better, isnt that the way commercial shot towers work, drop a real long distance

GP100man
01-29-2014, 02:35 PM
ATF fluid will make em round, just messy & you`ll have to wash the shot.

Littleton Shot Maker
02-03-2014, 02:50 AM
Folks< Magma does not build these machines, they are made by Burgess Bullets.

Yes the machine will do #3-#4 I have a customer making #2 and .177 cal almost .20 shot.
the drop is important because. the longer the pellet stays in mid air ( in liquid from ) the more gravity affects it, that is why rain drops are bigger at the bottom. Now as the Shot is rolling off the ramp it is spinning a bit that of sets the gravity for just that micro second before hitting the quench can.

Ronk, glad to help you if you email me, or pm me I will go over anything you need.

Atf? try Alegheny Products (Oils.com) -- Advantage 46fr, tell it for making shot! Pink rv anti freeze even, BUT yes some folks have used ATF! Diesel fuel too but why do that??

Alan Burgess