PDA

View Full Version : Dog Feeder

Big Dipper
01-21-2014, 09:31 PM
I have a stainless steel dog food bowl, it holds about six quarts. It fits well on my turkey frier. Has anyone used one like this for smelting?

rockrat
01-21-2014, 09:36 PM
I used to use a stainless mixing bowl, but was cautioned about the thin metal. I think someone might have mentioned about having a bowl collapse on them and make a mess, but it was a few years ago and don't remember the particulars.

lwknight
01-21-2014, 10:20 PM
I don't get it. Guys spend 1000s of dollars on guns and will not cut loos $60.00 at the Wally World for a cast iron pot.

The thin stainless will work but you will get red hot spots in it before the alloy melts. Those red hot spots can vaporize lead and burn (oxidize) the tin. Sure it will work but geeaahhh , thats cheepo. Also the light weight bowl is subject to tip over when you add large off balance lead stuff.

pworley1
01-21-2014, 11:01 PM
I agree with the suggestion for cast iron instead of thin stainless. You can usually find one at flea market or thrift shop for little or nothing.

Big Dipper
01-21-2014, 11:10 PM
I get it. I have a cast iron pot that I use. Thank you for sharing your experience.

dikman
01-22-2014, 01:28 AM
Actually, there's nothing wrong with stainless - as long as it's a decent thickness (even small saucepans work fine for melting smallish amounts). Pet bowls are generally too thin, they're not really intended for heating food in, let alone melting lead!