PDA

View Full Version : Attack of the killer Catfish.....

Just Duke
01-21-2014, 09:11 PM
I thought I would enlighten Miss Barbie about the savory delicacy of Catfish seeing were relocating to an area that is ripe with them.
Unfortunately when she eats Catfish under her eyes swell up really bad. Not sure why.
Any thoughts?

btroj
01-21-2014, 09:19 PM
Food allergies are a very real problem.

I don't eat uncooked vegetables or fruits for same reason. Apples, pears, carrots, and potatoes are problems for me when raw but cooked are no problem.

I would suggest she just not eat catfish. It isn't something that will stop happening.

starmac
01-21-2014, 09:26 PM
How does other fish affect her?? It would seem odd if catfish was the only one, but there have been odder things. When my dad was in his 30's he all of a sudden developed an allergy to pinto beans, he had ate them all his life till then. Even after the allergy every 6 months or so, he had to have some knowing full well he would be miserable for a few days. lol

waksupi
01-21-2014, 09:34 PM
Maybe some spice you used?

Bored1
01-21-2014, 09:37 PM
Not the oddest one I've heard off. She should count herself lucky!!!! I've heard of a person who is allergic to shellfish IF IT TURNS RED WHEN YOU COOK IT. Now thats a really pain. I don't know every shellfish that does that, however I'm thinking that pretty much knocks out any kind of seafood when eating a nice dinner out since everything is cooked with something else.

PS. Get a rx for a epipen for her from your primary doc. Learned a long time ago that if someone has an odd allergy, something odd is prolly gonna happen or another odd one will pop up sooner or later you didn't even think about. The relative small cost of a epipen now and again beats the hell out of not having one when you need it!!!

Artful
01-21-2014, 09:39 PM
The other thing is catfish (like most fish) can carry some of their environment in their system - there as a lake not that far from my place in Oregon and a lot of boating and all the fish I caught there had a petrochemical taste to me.

starmac
01-21-2014, 09:52 PM
Lots of people are highly allergic to shell fish, but are fine with fried fish. I had an uncle that one shrimp would hospitalize him, but he had no problem with fish.

Charley
01-21-2014, 10:22 PM
Food allergies. Similar to starmac, my father would puke his guts out after eating a couple of shrimp. I figured perhaps the iodine. My number 2 son inherited the same problem. Fine with fish, crab, clams, oysters. Shrimp tears him up.

tomme boy
01-21-2014, 10:34 PM
Don't punch her for eating the last piece should stop the swelling!:kidding:

Taylor
01-21-2014, 10:42 PM
Don't punch her for eating the last piece should stop the swelling!:kidding:

Couldn't help it could ya.Sometimes it's all I can do to not comment,glad you beat me to it.

quilbilly
01-21-2014, 11:30 PM
I would be curious if she was allergic to farm raised catfish the same as wild. Catfish living in streams from volcanic drainages like those in Wa, Or, and some parts of Nevada will pick up different chemistries than those raised on Louisiana rice farms and grain fed.

DLCTEX
01-21-2014, 11:31 PM
The red in cooked shellfish is from iodine, or so I've been told. I am allergic to corn. I ate it all my life and knew that something I ate bothered me but it wasn't so bad. I went on the Atkin's diet about 10 years ago foe months. I got off for Thanksgiving and had a strong reaction. It took a while and a suggestion from my brother, who is also allergic to corn, to isolate it. It has gotten progressively worse to the point I've been to the emergency room for it. I carry an epi-pen everywhere as corn can be in almost everything in some form or another. The catfish thing may be a spice or something from the fish's environment. The problem with finding out what can be painful and even life threatening. Go softly.

DIRT Farmer
01-21-2014, 11:55 PM
+ 10 on the epi-pen. Some of my most "intersting" runs as an EMT-P ,I heard they have noticed (insert condition) after thy ate it. It gets exciting when the airway closes off.

CastingFool
01-22-2014, 12:29 AM
Had a boss that was allergic to nuts, and cashews made his lips swell.

Three44s
01-22-2014, 12:40 AM
The other posters are spot on. Allergies can be very serious to downright deadly!

Best of luck in your new environment.

Three 44s

Just Duke
01-22-2014, 12:44 AM
Thanks guys. I guess she won't be eating Catfish anymore. She has no problem with Crab or Lobster.
Beings Cats are bottom feeders might have something to do with it.
The Talapia I think had the same affect on her also. Maybe the iodine factor was it.

JSH
01-22-2014, 08:20 AM
When folks say cats are bottom feeders they are actually pretty pick to what they eat when compared to other fish. A carp is as picky to what it eats as any critter. A bass is the least picky, a true trash eater. It will grab and swallow what ever it wants with no concern to what it is.
Catfish and carp have way more taste and smell so to speak.
Jeff

flounderman
01-22-2014, 08:34 AM
You are not cooking in peanut oil by any chanch. Some people allergic to peanuts.

flounderman
01-22-2014, 08:37 AM
we did have inmates with no fish, on their diet sheet. Never knew if it was allergy or they just didn't like fish. Probably an allergy because it took a medical note.

CastingFool
01-22-2014, 09:05 AM
You have to be careful with catfish or tilapia, especially if they are farm raised. Due to their concentrated confinement, the fish are contaminated with things you don't want to eat.

kbstenberg
01-22-2014, 10:20 AM
My wife even touches uncooked seeded fruit she gets hives and her eyes swell shut.

KCSO
01-22-2014, 11:06 AM
We trim the fat and nerve from the meat before we cook it and if we bake it we do it on a rack so the fat all drips free. We eat only fresh river cat fish that eat garbage from the river and not any of that fish food that's contaminated????

dagger dog
01-22-2014, 07:04 PM
Thanks guys. I guess she won't be eating Catfish anymore. She has no problem with Crab or Lobster.
The Talapia I think had the same affect on her also. Maybe the iodine factor was it.

Most catfish served in restaurants are farmed raised in ponds and fed a specific fish food, clear water stream catfish, channel cats and even yellow bellys have a totally different taste, and probably are benign as far as allergies.

I am very partial to fiddlers, which are small channel catfish,<1 lb., stream caught , cleaned, skinned, soaked over night in salt water, then dipped in butter milk, dredged in yellow cornmeal, salt, pepper, and dropped into a dutch oven filled with hot p-nut oil.

Once they float to the top pull 'em out, serve them hot with the left over cornmeal made into hush puppies with the addition of a little minced green onion.

Able 5
01-22-2014, 07:52 PM
You have to be careful with catfish or tilapia, especially if they are farm raised. Due to their concentrated confinement, the fish are contaminated with things you don't want to eat.

LOL, yep they do EVERYTHING in the water.:veryconfu :kidding:

pressonregardless
01-22-2014, 09:15 PM
I would be curious if she was allergic to farm raised catfish the same as wild.

Wondered about this too.

popper
01-22-2014, 09:28 PM
Get the epipen - faster than antihistamines. She is allergic to something - if you have her tested it will be almost everything. If 'diner' food could be the way it's cooked. You changed locations so watch for reaction to other foods. Corn gluten & peanut is easy to test for. Fortunately all my allergies are airborne.

TCLouis
01-22-2014, 11:22 PM
Catfish and Tilapia may well both be imported, or the other issue they could be raised in the US of A, but feed is the issue as much as the fish.

DIRT Farmer
01-23-2014, 01:00 AM
Most of the catfish I see in stores are imported from China or Veitnam. We did leave a few instant fish ponds in 'nam

MT Gianni
01-23-2014, 10:33 AM

I would guess that both are farmed fish rather than fresh water caught. Even if certified organic they are raised close enough together to have issues with some people.

quilbilly
01-23-2014, 09:08 PM
Since she is also allergic to tilapia which are also farm raised, there may be something in fish farm food fed to catfish and tilapia. Both are usually fed largely processed grains with lots of vitamin/growth additives. She is probably also allergic to domesticated milkfish (not often seen in this country) and farm raised shrimp. She should not have a problem with farm raise trout or salmon since their domesticated diet has to have higher protein.

daniel lawecki
01-23-2014, 09:18 PM
Make a Doctors app and have her tested for allergies my granddaughter tested better safe then sorry. she could have other thing she's allergic too.

w5pv
01-24-2014, 09:06 AM
I thought I would enlighten Miss Barbie about the savory delicacy of Catfish seeing were relocating to an area that is ripe with them.
Unfortunately when she eats Catfish under her eyes swell up really bad. Not sure why.
Any thoughts?
Keep Benydril(spl) on hand,I am allergic to several different foods when the hives start,lips swell and any other starts I take a couple of pills per Dr's instruction.Red pepper in the batter will give you fits at time.

GOPHER SLAYER
01-24-2014, 04:36 PM
I believe ancient Jewish dietary laws forbid the eating of shell fish. I guess they had their reasons. As for catfish, I and my family have eaten it all our lives without problems. Nothing like a big dinner of deep fried catfish and hush puppies.

starmac
01-25-2014, 01:07 AM
Don't forget the fried taters, onions and pintos. lol

mikeym1a
01-25-2014, 02:00 AM
don't forget the fried taters, onions and pintos. Lol

yum!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-d