PDA

View Full Version : I finally gave in, just fed up!

Changeling
01-21-2014, 07:43 PM
For quite a while now I have been trying to get a Ruger BH SS .45 5.5" to shoot cast/anything to no avail whatsoever! I had the throats ground to .4525, Barrel is .451, Cylinder timing seems to be perfect, bore scope used to see if there was a problem with grove/lands, bore to cylinder alignment checked with laser.
It's had 240's/260's/280's/300/plus fired in it (452 to 453's) all with the same result!
I've never had a firearm in my life that had a problem I couldn't figure out (bad problems) but this one has driven me up the wall of HELL.
By the way, 44 Man was one of the guys trying to get it to shoot, in case you think the shooters were the problem!!

So, a few minutes ago I emailed Ruger explaining (the above).
Now I await there responces.

Fire_Medic
01-21-2014, 07:55 PM
Wow man hope you get it squared away. Will be watching this as to see what Ruger tells you.

osteodoc08
01-21-2014, 09:18 PM
I'm in a similar boat with my Super Blackhawk Hunter 41. I feel your pain.

detox
01-21-2014, 10:59 PM
I suspect flame cutting. Size your bullets .4530-.4540 and change lube. LBT Soft Blue works good and so does Lyman Moly lube. If you have a constriction in barrel (at threads) you can use a soft alloy and lower velocity to prevent leading. LBT web site can help you...give him a call.

oldfart1956
01-22-2014, 01:39 AM
Changeling reading that sure brought back some memories! ;) I guess I've had the Blackhawk about 2 years now and several thousands of rounds downrange. Sounds like you've got the mechanical problems all taken care of so I'm not sure what Ruger can fix. I worked thru different alloys, water dropped and air cooled and heat treated. Used 6 different powders, 3 different brands of brass. Five or six different molds. Loads ranged from bloopers to one that sent the Nikon scope back to the factory...in 3 ziplock baggies. Lubes? Tried a bunch. Do yourself a favor and don't get stuck on one particular lube. Yeah...I know...I've used this/that lube for X# years and it's always worked....blah..blah...blah. Try a bunch'a different lubes, with different boolits. Keep notes....lotsa notes. Lube mattered. I tried the Ingot to Target moly lube..got 15 inch groups at 50 yds. ! Felix worked with most loads. Use a sand bagged bench if you're not. You're testing loads not your ability. Don't be afraid to open up the sizing die. Ruger has very generous chambers. Go to an all steel (not carbide) sizing die and hone it out if need be. There's nothing special about my final load, Unique and the Lee 255gr. rnf boolit with Lyman #2 (or whatever I have in the pot) and Felix. Sub 2 inch loads off the bench with a scope at 75yds. on a good day. About the limit of my capabilities. Audie...the Oldfart..

44man
01-22-2014, 09:25 AM
It is a mystery!
Once I bought a Ruger Mark II, 5" bull barrel. Aimed at a can at 25 yards, never touched it. I found all bullets were hitting the ground 15' in front of me. I could find nothing wrong, bore was straight, crown perfect, everything was tight, perfect fits.
I sent it back and Ruger sent me a new one. I bet they still have that gun in a case for show!

C. Latch
01-22-2014, 09:33 AM
What do you consider 'not shooting'?

I've found one load that mine really drives tacks with, everything else is 1.5" to 2" at 25 yards and so on at longer distances. I've had a few 2.5" clusters at 50 yards.

gray wolf
01-22-2014, 11:03 AM
What do you consider 'not shooting'?
Yes please this ^^

enfieldphile
01-22-2014, 12:15 PM
Agreed! Send it back to Ruger. I bought a Ruger rifle that simply would not shoot. They paid for return postage. 2 weeks later a new rifle was on the way to me.

It is a mystery!
Once I bought a Ruger Mark II, 5" bull barrel. Aimed at a can at 25 yards, never touched it. I found all bullets were hitting the ground 15' in front of me. I could find nothing wrong, bore was straight, crown perfect, everything was tight, perfect fits.
I sent it back and Ruger sent me a new one. I bet they still have that gun in a case for show!