PDA

View Full Version : What's the best overall Single Stage Press?

Fire_Medic
01-21-2014, 07:10 PM
I know there's a lot of factors, and definitely not trying to start a brand war here. I was thinking of getting a Hornady LNL single stage to match my LNL AP, thinking the switch over of dies would be quick and easy, but some research online has shown me you would still need to make some adjustment to the dies when doing this so that kind of takes that idea out the window.

Does anyone swap dies like this between both LNL presses?

What's the best single stage press to purchase for the purpose of working up loads in small batches, to size and deprime, AND to form 300 Blackout brass from 5.56 brass?

Appreciate everyones input.

FM

r1kk1
01-21-2014, 07:18 PM
You can shim. I seen an article on it. I'm currently working on two different presses that use LNL bushings. My project will take longer because of time right now.

Take care

r1kk1

Fire_Medic
01-21-2014, 07:20 PM
You can shim. I seen an article on it. I'm currently working on two different presses that use LNL bushings. My project will take longer because of time right now.

Take care

r1kk1

Would you happen to have a link handy to that article?

starmac
01-21-2014, 08:18 PM
LOL what is your favorite color?

Petrol & Powder
01-21-2014, 08:24 PM
There're a lot of excellent single stage presses on the market and everyone has their favorite. I would dare say that most of the "O" frame presses are very similar. There are the endless arguments over iron v. aluminum and this type of linkage vs some other type of linkage. There are trade offs in costs and strength but in the end the question is how strong is strong enough and what are you willing to pay?
The iron framed RCBS is a long time favorite and the Redding Boss presses are top notch, but are a bit expensive. Some of the less expensive aluminum alloy presses do the same job for less money and do it for years. Yes, they may be weaker but the engineering question is, "are they strong enough". Thousands of people would say yes. I've owned both types.

When we look at some of the less conventional presses such as the Redding T-7, Redding Ultra-Mag or Forster Co-ax,.....the debate gets a little more involved. The cost goes up but the designs are dramatically different.

If you are looking for a solid "O" frame workhorse and your budget will allow for a Redding Boss, Redding Big Boss or an iron RCBS, then I would say any of those would be fine.
I honestly think most of the aluminum "O" frame presses from the top makers will do just fine and often for less money.

Fire_Medic
01-21-2014, 08:33 PM

If all 12,750 of your posts were this informative you're on a roll [smilie=1:

Artful
01-21-2014, 08:33 PM
I was using my Lee 3 hole turret to form 300 whisper/blackout from once fired 5.56 Nato - Then my friend with Dillon 1050 tooled up and it was easier to pay him to do it for me. When I think of single stage for case conversion I use my Co-Ax most for that. But honestly if you already have the Hornady LNL AP I'd just stay within the same family. Of course I'd never turn down a good deal on an older press like RCBS Rockchucker :wink:

Fire_Medic
01-21-2014, 08:35 PM
There're a lot of excellent single stage presses on the market and everyone has their favorite. I would dare say that most of the "O" frame presses are very similar. There are the endless arguments over iron v. aluminum and this type of linkage vs some other type of linkage. There are trade offs in costs and strength but in the end the question is how strong is strong enough and what are you willing to pay?
The iron framed RCBS is a long time favorite and the Redding Boss presses are top notch, but are a bit expensive. Some of the less expensive aluminum alloy presses do the same job for less money and do it for years. Yes, they may be weaker but the engineering question is, "are they strong enough". Thousands of people would say yes. I've owned both types.

When we look at some of the less conventional presses such as the Redding T-7, Redding Ultra-Mag or Forster Co-ax,.....the debate gets a little more involved. The cost goes up but the designs are dramatically different.

If you are looking for a solid "O" frame workhorse and your budget will allow for a Redding Boss, Redding Big Boss or an iron RCBS, then I would say any of those would be fine.
I honestly think most of the aluminum "O" frame presses from the top makers will do just fine and often for less money.

Thanks for your input P&P, I had completely forgotten Redding made single stage presses as they're not usually the topic of conversation.

As for the iron RCBS, is there a year or model where they stopped making them iron?

Thanks
FM

Fire_Medic
01-21-2014, 08:36 PM
I was using my Lee 3 hole turret to form 300 whisper/blackout from once fired 5.56 Nato - Then my friend with Dillon 1050 tooled up and it was easier to pay him to do it for me. When I think of single stage for case conversion I use my Co-Ax most for that. But honestly if you already have the Hornady LNL AP I'd just stay within the same family. Of course I'd never turn down a good deal on an older press like RCBS Rockchucker :wink:

Thanks artful, I still want/need to buy a single stage regardless of the brass conversion but was just trying to give as much info as possible for others to make a recommendation and share their thoughts.

I've been reloading since 2008 but have yet to own a single stage press (I know the die hards will cringe on that)

Artful
01-21-2014, 08:39 PM
When I train someone to reload, I don't start 'em on one of my Dillon's - I start 'em on the Lee Turret used as a single stage press - If you learn the old way you can really appreciate the better/improved stuff that's come along since the '70's.

bhn22
01-21-2014, 08:44 PM
I have a Redding Big Boss press. The difference between it and my Hornady 007 are like the difference between a Chevrolet, and a Rolls Royce. It's smoother, has a much more solid feel, and really gives you the feeling it was made to last a couple of lifetimes. It's hard to describe.

That said, I still want that big *** Hollywood press in the other thread. Give it to me! :grin:

Doggone system deleted my expletive!

Fire_Medic
01-21-2014, 08:50 PM
When I train someone to reload, I don't start 'em on one of my Dillon's - I start 'em on the Lee Turret used as a single stage press - If you learn the old way you can really appreciate the better/improved stuff that's come along since the '70's.

I started back in 2008 with a Dillon 550B, I did not want to start out with an auto indexing press. I ran the 550 for a couple months loading one round at a time before loading the shell plate up and having at it. Recently upgraded to the LNL and now looking for a single stage because it's good to have one, and I'd like to do some of my operations on the single stage.

The longer I reload the more my focus has shift away from as much ammo as fast as possible, and I have come to enjoy reloading more than shooting (wow did I just say that :grin:). After the single stage casting is next up on the list.

Thanks for your input.

FM

Fire_Medic
01-21-2014, 08:52 PM
I have a Redding Big Boss press. The difference between it and my Hornady 007 are like the difference between a Chevrolet, and a Rolls Royce. It's smoother, has a much more solid feel, and really gives you the feeling it was made to last a couple of lifetimes. It's hard to describe.

That said, I still want that big *** Hollywood press in the other thread. Give it to me! :grin:

Doggone system deleted my expletive!

TY, after P&P recommended a look at it I have been and don't see anything wrong with it in the reviews. I have been very pleased with Redding for years using their dies. Also saw online I can get an adapter and the Big Boss II will take the LNL bushings, so it's looking good for the Redding at the moment. And since 308 Win is in my future the larger opening seems like a nice feature.

Petrol & Powder
01-21-2014, 08:56 PM
I believe the Rock Chucker has always been constructed of iron.

Petrol & Powder
01-21-2014, 08:58 PM
All Redding equipment is very high quality but your wallet will take a hit.

Fire_Medic
01-21-2014, 09:00 PM
All Redding equipment is very high quality but your wallet will take a hit.Cry once buy once is something life has taught me as the years have gone by.

Do you have any experience with the Forester Co-Ax?

Seems the big boss II and it would be the way to go.

Petrol & Powder
01-21-2014, 09:01 PM
Good advice. Sort of like learning to drive a manual transmission first. You can always go back.

Petrol & Powder
01-21-2014, 09:06 PM
Cry once buy once is something life has taught me as the years have gone by.

Do you have any experience with the Forester Co-Ax?

Seems the big boss II and it would be the way to go.

I always wanted a Forster but never could afford one. I've played with them on occasion and like the leverage they provide.
I would always trust Redding equipment.

Ickisrulz
01-21-2014, 09:36 PM
If all 12,750 of your posts were this informative you're on a roll [smilie=1:

I think he meant all manufacturers make a decent single stage press.

Artful
01-21-2014, 09:42 PM

I think he meant all manufacturers make a decent single stage press.

Fire_Medic - Tell him purple - or better yet, Tell starmac that you like Flame jobs.

Fire_Medic
01-21-2014, 09:44 PM
Fire_Medic - Tell him purple - or better yet, Tell starmac that you like Flame jobs.

LMAO :happy dance:

Sweetpea
01-21-2014, 10:14 PM
It is hard to beat a Rock Chucker supreme...

And a bit cheaper than the Big Boss.

Moonman
01-21-2014, 10:25 PM
Fire_Medic,

Google Calibrating LNL-AP and Classic Presses.
Ultimatereloader.com has a video of how to measure the
press differences and make a spacer to correct and
equalize the two presses working heights.

Fire_Medic
01-21-2014, 10:27 PM
Fire_Medic,

Google Calibrating LNL-AP and Classic Presses.
Ultimatereloader.com has a video of how to measure the
press differences and make a spacer to correct and
equalize the two presses working heights.

Thank you sir, I watched most of his LNL AP videos before buying mine. Guess I missed this. Appreciate the info.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
01-21-2014, 10:28 PM
Depends what features you think are important, what you want to do with the press and how much you want to spend. Currently, in the $100.00 to $200.00 range, the Lee Classic Cast is the best. Ran my USA made Rock Chucker right off my bench. Is cast iron, excellent compound linkage, excellent frame design, through ram used primer disposal (think clean press, no primer residue), will do 50 bmg or accept Hornady LnL bushing adapter and bushings, can be shimmed just like the Hornady to work with a LnL (I did it with mine.) if you so choose. Handle can be right or left handed, pick your preference. So a pretty versatile press.

Above $200.00, go back to what features and what you want to do with the press.

Sweetpea
01-21-2014, 10:40 PM
Ah, yes, the Lee's spent primer disposal is far superior!

Moonman
01-21-2014, 10:52 PM
Fire_Medic,

I presently have a Redding Big Boss II that I have a LNL

conversion bushing to make it the same height as

the two LNL presses. The conversion bushing is about $12-15.

skeet028
01-21-2014, 11:01 PM
If I wanted just a single stage press right now..I'd go buy a Lee Classic cast. Price is good..made here in the US. Heavy 'nuff for most case forming and you can get it with the bushings in the top. I have many presses including one of the Hornady single stage. I'd rather have a RCBS press and rather a Lee before it. I do like the Redding Ultramag. and of course the T-7 turret. I think those 2 are the best presses out there right now..other than the Dillon progressives that is. But they are a little pricey. You can find the Lee Classic cast under a hundred bucks. I have 2 of them..

jmort
01-21-2014, 11:03 PM
The best single stage I have ever seen is CH4D Rock Crusher, but at $1,508.00 it is pricey:

http://www.ch4d.com/products/equipment/presses/RC000

starmac
01-21-2014, 11:06 PM

That would be gettin into custom, and mucho mula. lol I actually have four different colors, well three i guess as the black one is a turret. All of mine are old iron, but if I was looking to buy a new one, I would give the red ones a good look.

Petrol & Powder
01-21-2014, 11:39 PM
The best single stage I have ever seen is CH4D Rock Crusher, but at $1,508.00 it is pricey:

Really expensive doesn't necessarily equate to high quality. What makes that press better than some $100-$200 press that does the same thing?

M-Tecs
01-22-2014, 12:57 AM
Really expensive doesn't necessarily equate to high quality. What makes that press better than some $100-$200 press that does the same thing?

Don't know if it's better but it will do various 20mm's and some of the shorter rotary 30mm aircraft cannon shells.

smokeywolf
01-22-2014, 01:23 AM
If you ever get your hands on a Hollywood single stage press, don't ever let it go. I've been pulling the same handle on the same Hollywood Sr. press for 55 years (off & on). Still have a few of the Hollywood swage dies that dad bought for it back in the early to mid 50s.
70+ years later and I don't think anyone has bested the Hollywood Gun Shop reloading press.

smokeywolf

starmac
01-22-2014, 01:53 AM
I'm with you on that one, one day a hollywood senior will likely bump the rock chucker off the bench. lol I do see some benefits to some of the new ones too though.

Rory McCanuck
01-22-2014, 04:34 AM
I'm with starmac, every press I've had a chance to use or see has been pretty nice.
Of my four, each is better than the others in one area or another.

If money isn't painfully tight, the UltraMag or the Co-Ax are just beautiful.
If money is tight, I don't know how you'd do better than a Lee Classic Cast.

Ickisrulz
01-22-2014, 07:44 AM

I really like my CH4d Champion Press. I don't know if it is the best press out there as I haven't used very many (although I have seen displays in stores). It is built very well and I like the ergonomics. It's not cheap though.

Petrol & Powder
01-22-2014, 09:10 AM
Don't know if it's better but it will do various 20mm's and some of the shorter rotary 30mm aircraft cannon shells.

OoooKay........you got me there. And for a mere $1500.00. Let me get two of those :wink:

Lloyd Smale
01-22-2014, 09:42 AM
ive got a rockchucker and a lnl hornady. I use the hornady more because i like the lock and load ability. Ive got an insert for my rockchucker but havent got around to putting it in. the rock chucker is a bit stouter press and all the press anyone needs unless swadging or doing 50 bmg

dragon813gt
01-22-2014, 09:50 AM
Are you going to be depriming on the press? If so then go w/ the Lee Classic Cast. The hollow ram keeps everything clean and you don't have to worry about chasing primers across the floor. At the end of the day any O frame will work just fine. It really does come down to color choice unless you want to step into something like a CoAx.

Fire_Medic
01-22-2014, 09:52 AM
Are you going to be depriming on the press? If so then go w/ the Lee Classic Cast. The hollow ram keeps everything clean and you don't have to worry about chasing primers across the floor. At the end of the day any O frame will work just fine. It really does come down to color choice unless you want to step into something like a CoAx.

I have narrowed it down to the Coax and the Redding Big Boss II. What is leaning me towards the Redding is the ability to run the LNL bushing system, and the Redding also has the primer through system like you speak of on the LEE. But also, I can actually buy a Redding right now and have not seen a forester Co-Ax since the last election.

FM

Moonman
01-22-2014, 09:53 AM
The REDDING BIG BOSS II is Cast Iron and has a Hollow Ram for spent primers to pass through.

r1kk1
01-22-2014, 06:20 PM
http://ultimatereloader.com/2009/06/06/calibrating-lnl-ap-and-lnl-classic-hd/

This is the link for calibrating the LNL presses.

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad300/r1kk2/63FFD8FE-8D7A-4FDE-8580-31B49E3C23DB.jpg (http://s945.photobucket.com/user/r1kk2/media/63FFD8FE-8D7A-4FDE-8580-31B49E3C23DB.jpg.html)

I will be calibrating the LNL bushings to the Summit and Redding Ultramag using Sinclair/Forster lock rings. It may end up frustrating or end up great, we shall see. I have some case forming dies I use the Champion on since it is a brute. Been with me for awhile. A long while. I do like the COAX and the Summit is new and number 24 out of 2013 made in this colour scheme.

See if you can pull the handle on some presses around you. If in Oklahoma stop by and try what I have. Don't discount older presses.

Sorry been on call and working a lot lately, could not respond earlier.

Take care and find what you want and have fun!

r1kk1

Ickisrulz
01-22-2014, 06:52 PM
Where in OK are you?

Fire_Medic
01-22-2014, 07:44 PM
http://ultimatereloader.com/2009/06/06/calibrating-lnl-ap-and-lnl-classic-hd/

This is the link for calibrating the LNL presses.

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad300/r1kk2/63FFD8FE-8D7A-4FDE-8580-31B49E3C23DB.jpg (http://s945.photobucket.com/user/r1kk2/media/63FFD8FE-8D7A-4FDE-8580-31B49E3C23DB.jpg.html)

I will be calibrating the LNL bushings to the Summit and Redding Ultramag using Sinclair/Forster lock rings. It may end up frustrating or end up great, we shall see. I have some case forming dies I use the Champion on since it is a brute. Been with me for awhile. A long while. I do like the COAX and the Summit is new and number 24 out of 2013 made in this colour scheme.

See if you can pull the handle on some presses around you. If in Oklahoma stop by and try what I have. Don't discount older presses.

Sorry been on call and working a lot lately, could not respond earlier.

Take care and find what you want and have fun!

r1kk1

Thanks for the info and the offer but Miami, FL is quite a ways from you, LMAO.

I will update the thread after I purchase but the Redding Big Boss II is looking like the winner for me at the moment.

FM

r1kk1
01-22-2014, 08:14 PM
Where in OK are you?

Tulsa and OKC on weekends. Don't tell me you live here?!

r1kk1

country gent
01-22-2014, 08:43 PM
A single stage press is very handy to have around, sometimes for odd things the quick set up of one station is fast and easy. I have RCBS Rockchucker, Lyman Oarnge crusher A lee c frame and a Forrester Bonanza Co Ax. For simple smooth operation the coax is my choice it has a very reliable set up for handling spent primers, is easy to mount and a joy to use. Taller tooling may give an issue with the over the top handle operation with this press. The lyman Crusher is used for case forming and heavy work. I actually made a longer handle for it. Its a good heavy iron press very solid and easy to set up moint and use. The rock chucker is a solid press ( I started with this press in the 70s aand its been going ever since. Cast Iron o frame all steel linkages and very solid. Primers arnt handled all that well though. Ive loaded many 308s and 223s on the Coax. Ive formed several wildcatts on the Lyman and rockchucker. The little aluminum Lee press is a travel press for when I want to laod at the range.
Sit down make a list of what you want to do with the single stage press, what features you want and How you want to use it. Then look at diffrent makes and models. I have a friend he uses and arbhor press and straight line dies exclusivly, He sees no need for anything more.

ACrowe25
01-22-2014, 09:26 PM
Choose your favorite color!

... Really.

engineer401
01-23-2014, 12:37 AM
I've owned the Rock Chucker II, RCBS Reloader Special 3 and the Lee Classic Cast which is the threaded version. I don't want the breach lock version. I gave my brother the RC II after I bought my Dillon 550 thinking I didn't need a single-stage press anymore. That was a mistake. I purchased the Classic Cast for de-priming, pulling bullets and sizing 223 brass. The RC II has more iron in the frame. The RC II is easier to size rifle cases with. The Classic Cast is cheaper and disposes of the primers through the center of the ram which is a nice option. I don't have any regrets. The RC II and the Classic Cast have their benefits. The Classic Cast works fine for me. Like others have said, buy the brand you like. I strongly recommend you stay with a cast iron press as they seem to be better built.

RedHawk357Mag
01-23-2014, 10:06 PM
I have narrowed it down to the Coax and the Redding Big Boss II. What is leaning me towards the Redding is the ability to run the LNL bushing system, and the Redding also has the primer through system like you speak of on the LEE. But also, I can actually buy a Redding right now and have not seen a forester Co-Ax since the last election.

FM
Funny thing about the CoAx I been chasing that dragon for awhile...figured i would write Forster...this was the reply i got..."We have made more presses in the past year than we have ever manufactured. We are increasing production again and hope to catch up to demand during 2014.

Thank you very much for your interest.

Forster Products"

I had to chuckle.

Fire_Medic
01-23-2014, 10:13 PM
Funny thing about the CoAx I been chasing that dragon for awhile...figured i would write Forster...this was the reply i got..."We have made more presses in the past year than we have ever manufactured. We are increasing production again and hope to catch up to demand during 2014.

Thank you very much for your interest.

Forster Products"

I had to chuckle.

Yeah that is funny. Guess that makes my decision all that much easier [smilie=1:

AlaskanGuy
01-23-2014, 10:27 PM
Ok, i will add my 2 cents...

First press i owned was a Spartan... It is an iron press, tuff as nails, takes a ton of abuse, and i still have the primer tubes for it... Awesome press for necking stuff around, and you can find them on ebay for around 50 bucks. Still have it... Then i traded into a lee single stage back in the 1980's... Works great still, and is still in use as is the spartan... But my primary press these days is a lee classic turret... It searves me well, and is much faster, but i dont think i would make it without that old spartan.. Here is what it looks like... I use it for primer stuff when working with 308 and 223 stuff... It is just heavy duty and is highly recommended... I am sure that there are a lot of "Old Folk Reloaders" around here that started on one of these guys and still uses it.......

AG

starmac
01-23-2014, 10:28 PM
Choose your favorite color!

... Really.
Can you suggest a press that is THE BEST press. Pretty much all make a good press, but no one makes one that is THE BEST for everybodys uses.

dragon813gt
01-23-2014, 10:55 PM
I have one of those spartan presses. I never use it. I have a LCT that gets used 99% of the time. I have a RCBS JR3 that I use for odd jobs the other 1% of the time. But I just ordered a Lee Classic Cast so I have a feeling that that the RCBS will be put away as well.

Char-Gar
01-23-2014, 10:59 PM
You did say best didn't you? Here is my nomination for the award. It is an 1960 vintage RCBS A2. It is made from cast steel and not cast iron. It is smooth as glass and will last several lifetimes. It has all the power, leverage and strength to do whatever you can dream up, plus it will do all ordinary tasks without drawing a short breath.

A few short years ago, a gun writer friend of mine asked RCBS if they would bring out the A2 again made from cast steel again. RCBS told him, they would have to sell it for $700.00 to make it feasible and there was no market for a $700.00 single stage reloading press. This makes the $200.00 to $275.00 price they bring on the used market seem quite reasonable.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
01-23-2014, 11:28 PM
I agree with Char Gar. Anyone one of these will do...

Now I just need an A3...

Fire_Medic
01-23-2014, 11:35 PM
I agree with Char Gar. Anyone one of these will do...

Now I just need an A3...

Dawson precision called, and they want their reloading room back :bigsmyl2:

Ozark Howler
01-24-2014, 01:17 AM
Three of my all time favorites, unfortunately RCBS rolled over and went to China for their castings (chasing the dollar), but if you look around you can still find an occasional (all American) A-series RCBS

Fire_Medic
01-24-2014, 09:20 AM
I appreciate everyone's input. I ended up ordering a Redding Big Boss II press and the LNL bushing conversion kit for it. Also got an Ultramount and lever on order for it from Inline Fab.

FM

mrvmax
01-24-2014, 09:28 AM
The best single stage press for me is the RCBS Rock Chucker. Why? Because someone gave it to me for free and I got into loading with it. It has served me well and I recently bought a Redding T7. I was looking at Dillon 650 vs 550 but decided to go with a turret press solely due to my lack of a need to crank out high quantities. I will break in the T7 today and see how it works out.

osteodoc08
01-24-2014, 10:04 AM
My personal favorite is the RCBS Rockchucker. Only because that is what I grew up on. I'd imagine any of the O frame presses will last a very, very long time if cared for properly. I never liked the ram prime system, so i hand prime all my brass with an RCBS hand primer (unless using the Dillon progressives of course). So do you like green, red, orange......

shooterg
01-24-2014, 03:42 PM
Current production, for the money, gotta be the Lee , makes a decent swage press with little modification - BUT, my best single stage press is my Corbin swage press with the reloading adapter - WAAAY stronger than most any conventional single stage . And still less than RCBS said they'd need to make A2's again !

sirgknight
01-24-2014, 11:09 PM
Years ago I started out with the Lee Challenger, which I've never regretted. I then purchased the Lee Classic Turret Press (4 hole) thinking that I would do some progressive reloading. After six or seven years or so, I have used the classic press about 95% of the time as a single stage press. It is extremely sturdy, and it is very versatile and it gives you an option of single or progressive. With that in mind, if the Classic Turret Press had been available when I purchased the Challenger, and know what I know now, I would have purchased the Classic hands down. No doubt there are several great single stage presses available that have proven themselves over the years, but I suggest that you try to think single stage "outside the envelope".

waco
01-25-2014, 06:57 PM
I only have a RCBS Rockchucker.......So I'll say that's the best for me!

TXGunNut
01-25-2014, 07:21 PM
Started out with an RCBS Jr in 1981 and it's still my primary press, an aluminum version of the same press is mounted on a portable bench. They won't do anything that any other O-frame press can't do so it's a moot point for most applications. If I needed a new single stage press today it would probably be the Lee Classic...but I like red! Pick a color indeed.

GabbyM
01-25-2014, 07:42 PM
My RCBS Rock Chucker Has served me well for almost forty years. Some wear and play is developing. Am thinking it could of benefitted from some grease. Would have to take it apart, grease pins then re assemble. It's always had flex when doing hard resizing. Stronger press wouldn't hurt a thing when doing stuff like resizing blown out surplus military brass. One week I ran 5,000 old 5.56mm NATO through that press. I should of greased it all up first instead of just a little oil.

For making quality ammo I think I'd go with Bonanza Co ax. For the shell holder that grips the shell lined up under the die.

Defcon-One
01-26-2014, 11:47 PM
I have three, the RCBS Rockchucker, RCBS Rockchucker II and my Dillon RL550B. I use all three for different things.

Actually, I just got a RCBS Reloader Special 5 in a trade, so I'll have to use that for something?

I'd buy a used Rockchucker or the Rockchucker II and never regret it.

Firebird
01-27-2014, 03:45 AM
I bought a used Co-Ax press at a gun show many years ago to learn how to reload. It was the first press that had today's "through RAM" used primer handling, even though it doesn't have a RAM as such. No used primers popping out of the press to roll around on the bench or floor, they all fall into a little collection jar under the press. It is great to learn on because of it's primer seating ability, yes it's a pain to fumble an individual primer into place to seat it, and adjusting the tabs that form the case rim retention system on my old design press isn't quick and easy - new presses I understand now have the same case holder setup up top for primer seating as it is on the main platform for reloading cases; but the big advantage is there is no way to "over-seat" and crush a primer unless you really screw up bad (there are always better fools than there are fool-proof systems). It is also very difficult to stick a case in a die using the Co-Ax press, it's ability to "float" the die and case and let them align with each other seems to prevent cases from sticking in my experience. Even my dirty 45-70 cases resize without difficulty and without any lube whatsoever, I do usually clean them first but I don't bother to lube anything anymore. 8-)
Almost forgot to mention they are great for cases like the 7.5x55 Swiss that have unique and currently hard to find case holders - because they don't use a standard case holder and come with a setup that allows most any case smaller than the big Rigby/Weatherby cases to be loaded. You do need to get a set of plates modified in a machine shop if you want to load the big African caliber cases on a CoAx press.
But the Co-Ax can't do all operations, specially about forming cases. Anytime the process includes an extended case holder - you can't do that with the Co-Ax as the Co-Ax doesn't use case holders. The micrometer seating dies usually fit ok if it's a shorter case like 6.5-284 or something based on the 308 case, but don't plan on using one for a full length magnum case or a Remington UltraMag case in the Co-Ax as it will interfere with the press handle.

enfieldphile
01-27-2014, 04:44 AM
I have the Redding Ultramag. The compound levers @ the top leave plenty of room and an open area to work in w/o a bar in front of you. The primer disposal through the ram is a feature anyone will fall in love with.

I also have a Lee Classic Cast press. They copied the primer disposal method. If $$ is an issue, this is the press to get. It's ram/die station alignment is dead-nuts straight.

I do all my handgun loading on a lee classic cast 4-hole turret press.

r1kk1
01-27-2014, 05:18 PM
I have three presses that offer through the ram disposal:

Ultramag
COAX
Champion

I do believe some older presses had that feature too.

r1kk1