PDA

View Full Version : Swaging press options….

creekwalker
12-07-2007, 03:11 PM
I’m reviewing the feasibility of home bullet swaging on a budget for my reloading corner. Have read a lot, seen it done and reviewed a lot of equipment. Swagerman’s set up’s are interesting and the Corbin brother’s produce very nice, pricey stuff too.

Aside from loading presses and the equipment offered by the Corbin firms what other swaging equipment are you folks using? Does anyone use the hammer swaging gear I’ve read about? How about electric or hydraulic set up’s? How did everyone swage at home before the current up-graded H-type presses?

Creekwalker
:coffee::lovebooli

Swagerman
12-08-2007, 01:23 PM
Sounds like you want to go back in time and perhaps use ancient technology to swage bullets. :coffee:

Not me, I'll take whatever new technology there is to be progressive in swaging, and that includes adapting present available equipment to do the job better.

Jim

creekwalker
12-08-2007, 03:58 PM
Nah, don't want to go back in time or do extra work when something better is possible. Most likely will use a good heavy duty press, RockChucker or an old Herter's O frame. I'd just like to see if other options that might work for me are possible. Really enjoy reading how others modify existing equipment of fab up something that works w/o puttin a huge amount of money in the set up.

Creekwalker

creekwalker
12-14-2007, 12:14 AM
How many people here have built their own swaging press, whether hydralic or modified O frame reloading press? I’ve seen one modification of a hydralic set up as well as the really cool stuff Swagerman did. But could an arbor press or a shop hydralic press like one sees at horror freight be modified to do the job or not? At this point I’m going with my old and trusted RockChucker, but am also considering a Redding Big Boss as they are having an excellent sale on them at MidSouth. Thoughts, comments, recommendations guys? I’ve been researching this for a few weeks now and have decided where to purchase my first sets of swaging dies and such, just curious about the press or swaging machine options and other than Swagerman haven’t heard a lot about this yet.

Creekwalker

ernierod
12-27-2007, 02:42 PM
I have been using the Redding Big Boss and C-H swaging dies for some time now and the combination works out quite well. I reduce cut lead wire/lead cores to a 202gr .45 SWC(mimimum effort) and if I wish, I use that SWC as a core for my LSWC HP with a Walnut Hill press for a 190g/SWCHP.Both 202g/190g heads are quite accurate in both 45 target pistols.

creekwalker
12-27-2007, 05:02 PM
Thank's ernierod, I was hopping to hear from someone who was using some of the C&H swaging dies. Using the Redding Big Boss press is a pretty good ideal, less expensive than an RCBS A2 or A4 but with a larger ram than the RockChucker.
Have you observed any problems with the stroke being to long and over compressing the bullet core?

creekwalker

ernierod
12-27-2007, 05:29 PM
No problems what so ever.The C-H die set(#105) makes a beautiful head -shaped some what like a H&G 68 and is accurate at 50 yds. I have a Rock Chucker press also but the Big Boss is newer and doesn't strain at all.At less than $100 it is a great buy.