PDA

View Full Version : Lee Decapper Clamp Thread

hardy
01-21-2014, 03:37 PM
Hey All,Ham Fist here stripped the thread in my F/L 45/70 die.I,ve looked up Tapsize Charts but can,t find anything close,O/D is .403" and as best as my aged peepers can tell it,s 28 TPI.Anybody know the proper size.Only the first three threads are gone so hopefully I can pick up on the remaining thread and chase it out.Any info will be much appreciated......Cheers.Mike

DeanWinchester
01-21-2014, 03:46 PM
Ain't these things a pipe thread? Pipe threads being tapered, that's how the split nut clamps down on the decapping rod.
I may be wrong.

If it is, that'd be 27 tpi not 28 for a 1/8 npt.
Be aware, NPT threads require a specific depth. Running a tap deeper could make the split nut incapable of tightening down.

hardy
01-21-2014, 08:03 PM
Hey,thanks Dean,sounds good to me.What I,ll do is find a tap and just tickle the first thread.I only need to clean it enough,then try to start a spare clamp I have and do it touchy feely(a well known technical ploy).Many thanks for the info. Mike

Lever-man
02-12-2014, 10:09 PM
You ain't alone hardy I done the same thing with my new Lee 358 Win die trying to decap and size some 308 mil brass to the 358. I only got 103 pieces done before I stripped it out........ FYI if re-tapping it doesn't work you can order one direct from Lee Precision.......... Which is what I did, the decapper clamp was $1.50, and while I was at it I ordered an extra o-ring, and expander. Total was $9.00 plus $4.19 shipping. It shipped today, should have it at least by Mon.

Bjornb
02-12-2014, 10:16 PM
Hey All,Ham Fist here stripped the thread in my F/L 45/70 die.I,ve looked up Tapsize Charts but can,t find anything close,O/D is .403" and as best as my aged peepers can tell it,s 28 TPI.Anybody know the proper size.Only the first three threads are gone so hopefully I can pick up on the remaining thread and chase it out.Any info will be much appreciated......Cheers.Mike

Mike,
I have one of these that you're welcome to. Missing the decapping rod but threads are perfect. Send me a PM if interested.