PDA

View Full Version : What to do with a not so accurate BlackHawk

osteodoc08
01-21-2014, 02:43 PM
Ive got a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter in 41 mag. It's not that it isnt that accurate, but it still falls short when compared to my others. It is the 7-1/2" model that Ive put a Weaver variable on. It will hold a 3-4" group at 50yards at best. My other handguns are typically half that. I havent bothered to slug it or check the cylinders. Id rather not put any money into it to get it "running right" and have thought about selling it to fund other projects. Ive made sure the barrel is clean. There is no leading or copper fouling. What would you do in this case? Keep it and shoot it some more with different bullets? Send it out for custom work? Send it down the road?

Its not that I dont like it, but it just doesnt "do it" for me. Doesnt flip my switch so to speak. I've tried to warm up to it, but just cant. Same thing with my Flattop. Accuracy is great, but unless using light loads, my middle finger gets smacked to the point it was bleeding last time I took it out and shot it a bit. Light loads are fine. Medium loads will also hit but not as severe. Should I keep it for plinking loads, find a new set of grips or dump it? Both of these are limited runs, the Flat top I think there were like 151 made (4-5/8").

Bohica793
01-21-2014, 02:53 PM
A complete discussion on the topic.

http://www.ktgunsmith.com/accruger.htm

Whiterabbit
01-21-2014, 03:32 PM
down the road. Not because of gun issues. "It's not you, it's me." The gun doesn't do it for you? Doesn't flip your switch? Don't throw good money after bad (your time is worth something too!). Time to sell and try again. Find something that tickles you pink.

RED333
01-21-2014, 05:18 PM
A complete discussion on the topic.

http://www.ktgunsmith.com/accruger.htm

Great link, thanks.

RED333
01-21-2014, 05:19 PM
down the road. Not because of gun issues. "It's not you, it's me." The gun doesn't do it for you? Doesn't flip your switch? Don't throw good money after bad (your time is worth something too!). Time to sell and try again. Find something that tickles you pink.

I like this advice, if it dont float your boat, dont take the trip.

canthitsquat
01-21-2014, 05:22 PM
Put a set Of Hogue grips on it and try some different loads and boolits.

osteodoc08
01-21-2014, 09:20 PM

The thing is, if it was accurate, I'd PROBABLY keep it. I just don't want to dump money into it to find out it still doesn't light my fire.....Decisions decisions.

tacklebury
01-21-2014, 10:05 PM
Well depending on age and wear, contact Ruger. I bought a New Model Convertible in .45 Colt/ .45 ACP and it didn't meet their "minimum" specs and they repaired it and replaced the barrel and both cylinders and did a trigger job on their dime. I don't know why they let them leave the factory without more tuning. Seems mighty expensive to pay to have 'em returned and then fix 'em and send 'em back. lol

dtknowles
01-21-2014, 11:58 PM
Ive got a Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter in 41 mag. It's not that it isnt that accurate, but it still falls short when compared to my others. It is the 7-1/2" model that Ive put a Weaver variable on. It will hold a 3-4" group at 50yards at best. My other handguns are typically half that. I havent bothered to slug it or check the cylinders.

I would like to know about your other revolvers. Are some of your other revolvers that shoot inch and a half to two inch groups at 50 yards box stock Rugers as well? My personal standard is groups under two inches at 25 yards but maybe in my case the problem is as much the shooter as the gun.

Tim

osteodoc08
01-22-2014, 08:35 AM
I would like to know about your other revolvers. Are some of your other revolvers that shoot inch and a half to two inch groups at 50 yards box stock Rugers as well? My personal standard is groups under two inches at 25 yards but maybe in my case the problem is as much the shooter as the gun.

Tim

I have 2 scoped handguns in 41 mag. My Redhawk can hold 3-4" off a rest with most of my loads. In perfect conditions I've seen it do an almost ragged hole. The super blackhawk is more like 6" on most occasions. The Blackhawks trigger has a mile of creep which invariably affects the groupings I'm sure. I really want better. But am struggling whether to let this one go or not

junkpile
01-22-2014, 11:19 AM
So trade it off for something else. No point in having it if you don't like it.

Airman Basic
01-22-2014, 12:20 PM
I have 2 scoped handguns in 41 mag. My Redhawk can hold 3-4" off a rest with most of my loads. In perfect conditions I've seen it do an almost ragged hole. The super blackhawk is more like 6" on most occasions. The Blackhawks trigger has a mile of creep which invariably affects the groupings I'm sure. I really want better. But am struggling whether to let this one go or not
Try this on your blackhawk: http://www.gunblast.com/Poorboy.htm It's worked great for me on my Rugers.

dtknowles
01-22-2014, 10:11 PM
Quote Originally Posted by dtknowles View Post

Tim

Doc

I would say keep it, I prefer .357's and double action but find 3 to 4 inch groups at 50 yards more than acceptable for a stock revolver. I have to say, your posts confuse me. A couple people posted links to ways it accuracy could possibly be improved. The way I see it you have a couple ways to go if you want a more accuracy. Get a custom gun from a top smith (probably have to wait). Go get a high dollar semi custom gun. Try some of the tips in the links on the thread on the gun you have. Lastly what you seem to be leaning too, sell the gun you have and buy another and keep trading until you get lucky and get one the is more accurate. Unless you like trading and are good at it, I would stay away from the last choice. If I had and really accurate revolver, I mean better than the one you have, I would not be likely to trade it away. Buying new and selling used is a good way to lose money, you might as well buy the high dollar semi custom gun right from the start.

Tim

David LaPell
01-22-2014, 10:17 PM
I had a .41 Magnum that was like that for me in the short barrel. I could not get the gun to do that well with anything but the slowest of slow loads. Recoil wasn't that bad even with the hotter loads and I had a 6 1/2 inch barreled version before that they loved everything I fed through it. If you can't get it to perform I would say sell it or trade it for something that does.

dmize
01-23-2014, 10:28 AM
As far as accuracy goes, I would suggest something as simple as trying a different scope.

osteodoc08
01-23-2014, 02:12 PM
As far as accuracy goes, I would suggest something as simple as trying a different scope.

Didnt think about trying a new scope. Maybe I'll unscope it and see what happens. Im gonna clean her up from last shooting session and see what happens with an XTP down the cylinder. If they are tight, I will try to hone them out a little at home. If I can't get improvement, Bohica has right to first refusal. I'll work on it some over the weekend as time allows. We shall see what happens. Stay tuned.

Good Cheer
01-23-2014, 09:23 PM
My Ruger .41 Mag story.
Wouldn't hit nothing. Used a dowel rod and emery paper to enlarge the chamber throats to a uniform measurement.
Now... it works. Yeehah.
http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy192/SNARGLEFLERK/TheRivet_zpscd77517f.jpg (http://s791.photobucket.com/user/SNARGLEFLERK/media/TheRivet_zpscd77517f.jpg.html)

birddog
01-23-2014, 09:46 PM
All right just send it down to my house and I'll fuss over it!
No, seriously if the notion to sell comes to mind let me know please.
Charlie

detox
01-24-2014, 09:07 PM
You need to try a different shape bullet. My 686 likes round nose flat points, but dislikes SWC.