PDA

View Full Version : Another electrician question

waksupi
12-07-2007, 02:21 PM
I would like to put a pair of motion detector lights at one of my entry ways. One would be inside the mud room, the other outside in the parking area.
My question is, both lights are now wired to the same switch. Would the lights work independantly of each other? Or would neither work, because of incomplete circuit? This is assuming only one motion detector is activated.

454PB
12-07-2007, 02:41 PM
They will work independantly of each other as far as the motion detection function is concerned, but when you turn off the switch, both will go out and then reset when power is returned. I assume you mean you want to be able to turn one light off without affecting the other light. The way to do that is mount another switch on the hot side of the existing switch and run that switched leg to the second light.

fishhawk
12-07-2007, 02:44 PM
need to be in parallel for them to work independitly of each other but you can wire it from the same switch if right now one bulb burns out do both lights go out? if so it's series, if one bulb keeps burning it's parallel, get ahold of mazokid Em is a retire electrician he should be able to get you working

DeanoBeanCounter
12-07-2007, 02:46 PM
First and foremost "SAFETY FIRST". If you don't think you can handle it, get an electrician. And always turn the power off at the breaker/fuse box. I know this from experience.
Installing two motion detectors on the same circuit poses no problem. One will not effect the other in any way. However, the switch will control both. If you don't want either to come on, just turn the switch off. They should come with instructions.
If you those wire nuts, give them an extra turn with pliers. Then the connection wont fall apart so easily. There will probably be two adjustment on the detectors, one for how sensitive it is and one how long the light stays on.
Hope this helps.
Deano
:-D

Sundogg1911
12-07-2007, 03:35 PM
you may want to consider using x10 motion sensors. I used to use that stuff when I first got into home automation stuff. It's very easy to install. I still use the x10 motion sensors in my garage/office for lights. When I open the door the motion senssor turns the lights over the stairs on. I have another on coming down the steps. It sure beats setting what I'm carrying down to hit a switch.

waksupi
12-08-2007, 12:53 AM
Thanks, guys. Think I have it now. Things sound like they should work like I want them to. I'll give it a try!

KYCaster
12-08-2007, 01:54 AM
Bzzzzzzzzzzzzttt.......well that didn't work!