PDA

View Full Version : Need a Nevada gunsmith...........

3006guns
01-21-2014, 01:40 PM
I have a good friend who lives in Reno, Nevada. He has a Winchester lever action in .348 that has a problem with sticking/difficult extraction of fired cases. I don't remember the model number/year offhand but it is a beautiful old thing, just short on reliability. He emailed me this morning and asked if I'd bring this to the attention of the forum members for any ideas on a gunsmith in either Nevada or Utah that does good reliable work.

Thanks in advance!

MtGun44
01-22-2014, 01:57 AM
Use less powder if handloads. Polish the chamber if factory ammo.

Bill

smokeywolf
01-22-2014, 02:39 AM
What loads is your friend using? BTW, Winchester only made one lever action in .348 caliber; the model 71. Possibly the best all-round, most reliable lever action repeater Winchester ever produced.

smokeywolf

3006guns
01-22-2014, 09:59 AM
Thanks Smokey, MtnGun44........I should have mentioned that all loads were factory and the chamber was polished by another gunsmith some years ago. I suspect a small imperfection in the chamber that's still there and, if so, the barrel may have to be machined to screw in one more thread and rechambered. Pretty drastic but maybe the only way to save the rifle. In any case, I'd like to see him get it to a good lever action smith, someone who really knows their way around a Winchester. I believe you're right about the year/model too.

Edit: I just spoke to my friend and learned for the first time that this problem only occurs after 2-3 rounds have been fired. The first round always ejects, the second is stiff and the third impossible until the gun cools down. He said you can't even use a rod down the bore until after a cooling off period. This opens up a couple of possibilities.....

No dimples or marks on the case, maybe the neck portion is sticking? Dirty or carboned up neck area?
Slightly short chamber, case expands lengthwise locking the bolt lugs? (could be proved by removing extractor and firing)
Recess for rim not deep enough?

Just guesses on my part!

smokeywolf
01-22-2014, 12:33 PM
If he applies something such as Dykem, aka layout fluid to the case, when he extracts that second round he should be able to see rub/scratch marks on the case where it's hanging up.

smokeywolf

3006guns
01-22-2014, 01:04 PM
Good thought........we'll try that first before anything drastic.

NVScouter
01-22-2014, 06:47 PM
I used to use Dave Nordyke in Carson City when I lived there. He is an old military gunsmith and breathes old guns. I havent used him in 10 years so I hope he is still around:

This is the number that comes up. Most of the old gunsmiths in Reno quit/retired/moved after the CA invasion of the 90s. Lots of AR-15 and new smiths but I'd never trust a rifle like that to them. (775) 887-3510

Digger
01-23-2014, 10:31 AM
A good friend introduced me to Lee Baker , Carson city , 775-882-9594 ..seems to have a good rep. and been in business for quite a few years.
also try this link ....
http://thehuntersden.com/

cwheel
01-23-2014, 11:41 AM
Visited Lee's shop in Carson once a few years back, impressive for a home business. At the time he had a couple of years worth of work backlog sitting there. Sure could have changed over time. Worth a call, but after waiting more than 6 months for a simple job, had to pull it and pass it on to another with time to do the job.
Chris

3006guns
01-23-2014, 02:13 PM
Guys, thanks for your help and suggestions. I've forwarded the info to my friend and hopefully he can get the rifle to someone for repairs.

NVScouter
01-24-2014, 10:39 AM
I think Lee retired. I used him on my Savage 99 and was great. Shortly after he retired bit had 5 years of back log to finish.

Big Dipper
01-25-2014, 01:18 AM
Lee Baker did some work for me in December 2013. Great guy and a nice shop.

NVScouter
01-25-2014, 07:48 PM
Glad to hear Lee is still around!

ammohead
01-29-2014, 09:59 PM
Breech locking lugs on a model 71 slant toward opening. Nearly impossible for them to lock up. High pressure loads will actually make the lever drop some.