PDA

View Full Version : Beans and bacon in dutch oven.

Charlie Two Tracks
01-21-2014, 12:31 PM
We are buying our bacon from the store in 5# cartons of ends and pieces for $2.00 per pound. It is a whole lot cheaper than buying bacon by the pound. Anyway, what I am looking for is some recipes for making your own baked beans and bacon. I want to put the cast iron dutch oven in our regular oven to cook. It's dang cold around here now and I would like to get a recipe I like before Spring gets here. I bet you guys have some tasty ideas.

imashooter2
01-21-2014, 01:07 PM
1 pound dry Navy beans
1/2 pound bacon (1 pound never hurt anyone either)
1 large onion diced
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup dark molassas
1 tsp dry mustard
Salt and pepper to taste.

Sort beans and rinse. Cover beans in 2 inches of water and soak overnight. Do not drain. Add additional water if required to just cover the beans. Place on stove top and bring to a boil, skimming any scum that forms. Add remaining ingrediants and stir. Bake at 325 degrees 4 hours.

blademasterii
01-21-2014, 01:14 PM
Eat baked beans, go to bed. Dutch oven follows. Barring that, fry bacon til crisp, drain off most of the grease. Add baked beans and a cup of brandy. Simmer till it thickens. Add brown sugar or maple syrup to taste at any time.

gkainz
01-21-2014, 01:54 PM
Whatever beans you use, make sure to only cook 239 beans ... Because one more and it will be 240 ;)

Sound it out ... Don't make me explain it. (It was one of my dad's jokes that we always rolled our eyes at)

imashooter2
01-21-2014, 03:31 PM
have to check with the wife, BUT, imashooter2 post is scary close to her baked beans.

It's my Nanna's recipe (although she used salt pork). She was a Boston girl and Boston is pretty much Baked Bean Central. I have that recipe on an old well worn index card written in her hand. I haven't had to look at it in many years though. :)

Maven
01-21-2014, 03:54 PM
"Because one more and it will be 240"

That's what Beano is for!

Also, if you have to watch your saturated fat intake as I do, but love bacon, substitute Canadian bacon in the above recipe.

tward
01-21-2014, 04:32 PM
Check out Alton Brown's "Once and Future Beans", great recipe! I. Have made this many times and it is always a hit. Tim

beagle
01-21-2014, 05:07 PM
Once they get done, remove from coals if outside, mix cornbread dough/mix and pour mix over top, add coals to top to bake bread until done and good and brown on top. Scoop out beans and bread with a large spoon, have a quart of milk handy and chow down. I recall doing that while camped in a cedar thicket during a snowstorm once and that was one of the better meals I've ever had./beagle

Check out Alton Brown's "Once and Future Beans", great recipe! I. Have made this many times and it is always a hit. Tim

JeffinNZ
01-21-2014, 05:17 PM
Blazing Saddles.

Charlie Two Tracks
01-21-2014, 06:53 PM
Thanks guys. I will be trying this soon. I never thought about putting cornbread on top........ sounds great.

bikerbeans
01-21-2014, 07:16 PM
Don't forget you also need to "throw another log on the fire" while you are rustlin' up your bacon and your beans.:wink: My favorite version is the muppets singing that song to Candice Bergen.

BB

enfield
01-21-2014, 07:31 PM
I cant remember, did Blazing Saddles win an academy award for best sound or something , they should have !. Back to the beans, my mom would always make "steamed brown bread" with her beans, 1.5 cubs cornmeal, 3/4 cup flour, 1.5 cup buttermilk, 1/2 cup molasses 1tsp soda and a pinch of salt, she would put it in a coffee can in a pot of water that steamed in the oven for 3 hours. serve hot with butter and you will love it ( I have trouble getting mine to puff up as well as moms but thats why there the best cooks in the world ).

MaryB
01-22-2014, 01:52 AM
I make these 3-4 times a year then freeze in half pint jars for meals plus I make a huge pot for my annual BBQ. Everyone raves over them

* Exported from MasterCook *

Baked Beans

Recipe By :Mary Brown
Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:45
Categories : sides

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 48oz jar cooked white beans -- drained
1 pound bacon -- fried until not quite crispy, reserve the fat
1 large onion -- peeled and chopped
8 tablespoons sugar
2/3 cup molasses
2 teaspoons dry mustard
4 teaspoons salt -- optional
2 teaspoons black pepper -- or to taste, start with 1/2tsp
4 tablespoons bacon fat
water -- just to cover everything

combine everything in a bbq pit or oven safe dish or crockpot. Cook at 225 to 250 or on low for the crockpot for 8 to 10 hours

Description:
"Easy baked beans from the bbq pit or crockpot"
Start to Finish Time:
"10:00"

Echo
01-22-2014, 09:51 AM
MAN! I've saved ALL these!

Charlie Two Tracks
01-22-2014, 09:59 AM
I know what you are saying Echo. I can't wait to give them a try.

wch
01-22-2014, 10:14 AM
1 pound dry Navy beans
1 large onion diced
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup dark molasses
1 tsp dry mustard

Sort beans and rinse. Cover beans in 2 inches of water and soak overnight. Do not drain. Add additional water if required to just cover the beans. Place on stove top and bring to a boil, skimming any scum that forms. Add remaining ingrediants and stir. Bake at 325 degrees 4 hours.

That sure does sound good!

uscra112
01-22-2014, 06:36 PM
Whatever beans you use, make sure to only cook 239 beans ... Because one more and it will be 240 ;)

Sound it out ... Don't make me explain it. (It was one of my dad's jokes that we always rolled our eyes at)

Did he tell the other one about the mythical Tom Mix movie "Hoof Hearted"?

shooterg
01-22-2014, 07:39 PM
No reason this wouldn't work in that cast iron !

MOMMA’S BAKED BEANS

INGREDIENTS
4 cans pork & beans
1 lb. Hamburger, browned
1 c. chopped onion
1 c. chopped green peppers
1 c. chopped celery
1 c. molasses
½ c. brown sugar
4 Tbsp. mustard

DIRECTIONS
Mix all items in 11 x 17 pan, top with bacon strips if desired(mandatory for me!).
Bake at 350 for 1 ½ hours, BEST if made a day ahead and reheated in crock pot . Them legumes soak up the flavor!

Driver man
01-22-2014, 07:48 PM

Doesnt work with our accent. Took me a while to get it.

MT Gianni
01-22-2014, 08:05 PM
Once they get done, remove from coals if outside, mix cornbread dough/mix and pour mix over top, add coals to top to bake bread until done and good and brown on top. Scoop out beans and bread with a large spoon, have a quart of milk handy and chow down. I recall doing that while camped in a cedar thicket during a snowstorm once and that was one of the better meals I've ever had./beagle

This sounds like excellent chow, Thanks.

Cashew
01-22-2014, 08:45 PM
Doesnt work with our accent. Took me a while to get it.

Sadly took me a while too, northern accent wasn't cutting it either. But started going through my funny voices and whoop there it is.
Cashew

frankenfab
01-22-2014, 09:08 PM
I like to use 1/2 ranch beans and 1/2 pork n beans. Gotta have brown sugar, onion, and mustard at least.

If I have the smoker going, I always cook the beans in there. Getting ready to start putting some green or red pepper in, because I'm tired of my recipe.

Reverend Al
01-23-2014, 04:18 AM
This is one of my favorite bean recipes ... with a "Canadian" twist!
:drinks:

Canadian Cowboy Beans

1 pound or so of soaked, boiled, and pre-prepared white pinto beans (or a mix of beans, your choice). Prepare them by soaking the beans covered in water overnight, drain and rinse several times next morning, then cover with fresh water and bring beans to a full boil for about 10 minutes, then reduce heat and simmer for at least three hours until the beans are just tender. Drain off the water and hold the beans aside while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.

½ pound of bacon diced
2 cups of chopped onions
1 teaspoon of chili powder
1 teaspoon of “Creole” seasoning (whatever your favorite brand)
1 ½ teaspoons of salt
½ teaspoon of ground black pepper
4 to 6 cloves of minced garlic (I use 6 of course!)
1 large can of chopped tomatoes c/w the juice
1 (12 ounce) bottle of lager or ale
½ cup of Maple syrup
½ cup of packed brown sugar
½ cup of chicken stock
½ cup of Canadian rye whiskey
2 tablespoons of whole grain mustard
1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
2 bay leaves

In a large pot, cook the bacon over medium high heat until brown and fat is rendered, about 6 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. To the fat in the pan, add the onions, chili powder, Creole seasoning, salt and pepper, and cook stirring often until the onion is soft and clear, about 4 minutes. Add the minced garlic and cook for another minute, then add the tomatoes with their juice and cook a further 2 minutes or so. It’s not listed in the recipe, but I also add about 2 to 3 diced bell peppers to the mix as well.

Add the beer, maple syrup, sugar, chicken stock, whiskey, mustard, Worcestershire and the 2 bay leaves. Stir it all very well and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, then add the cooked, previously prepared beans to it all and bring to a boil. Add the bacon pieces that you removed earlier. Reduce the heat and simmer covered for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Then remove the lid and continue to simmer until all is tender, about 1 ½ to 2 hours more, stirring occasionally adding a bit more water or chicken stock as needed to keep the beans covered. At the end, I thicken the bean mixture by bringing them to a boil again and adding 6 to 8 tablespoons of Masa Harena (corn flour) thoroughly mixed with some cold water.

Reverend Al
01-23-2014, 04:19 AM
This is my other favorite baked bean recipe which is a "bean pot" recipe, but I don't see why it wouldn't work in a Dutch Oven just as well!

Boston Baked Beans (traditional Bean Pot method)

1 - 2 1/2-quart bean pot (or covered casserole)
2 pounds beans
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1 pound salt pork (or bacon or ham)
1 medium onion -- peeled and diced into large pieces
8 tablespoons of brown sugar
2/3 cup molasses
2 teaspoon dry mustard
2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Soak beans overnight. In the morning, preheat oven to 325° F. Place the baking soda in a large pot and fill half way with water (about 6 cups). Bring to a boil and add the beans. Boil for 10 minutes. Drain beans in a colander and run cold water through them. Set them aside.

Dice the salt pork (or bacon or ham) into 1-inch squares. Put half of the salt pork on the bottom of the bean pot, along with the onion. Put beans in the pot. Put the remaining salt pork on top of the beans.

Mix the brown sugar, molasses, mustard, salt and pepper with about 3 cups of saved hot water from the beans and pour over top (or add more until the beans are just covered). Cover pot with lid and place the pot into the preheated oven. Bake for about 6 hours. Check pot periodically to check the amount of liquid remaining. Add a bit of water to the beans slowly as needed to keep them moist, but do not flood them. Remove the pot from the oven and serve warm.

Reverend Al
01-23-2014, 04:28 AM
By the way, both of the above recipes are great with some home-made cornbread on the side! (I posted my cornbread recipe in the "cornbread" recipes thread ...)

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd466/Reverend_Al/BostonBakedBeansampCornbread001Large_zps2bfb3f3c.j pg (http://s1221.photobucket.com/user/Reverend_Al/media/BostonBakedBeansampCornbread001Large_zps2bfb3f3c.j pg.html)

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd466/Reverend_Al/BostonBakedBeansampCornbread002Large_zpsc3182628.j pg (http://s1221.photobucket.com/user/Reverend_Al/media/BostonBakedBeansampCornbread002Large_zpsc3182628.j pg.html)

http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd466/Reverend_Al/BostonBakedBeans004_zpsecbb3459.jpg (http://s1221.photobucket.com/user/Reverend_Al/media/BostonBakedBeans004_zpsecbb3459.jpg.html)

Reverend Al
01-23-2014, 04:47 AM
(... and I found that actual "Crock Pot" brand ceramic bean pot at a local thrift shop for $6.00!)

[smilie=w:

Lloyd Smale
01-23-2014, 08:37 AM
mine simular to some of the others but after soaking and boiling i cook till thickened 4-6 hours and i dont precook the bacon. I think the bacon fat rendered down gives it more flavor.

Charlie Two Tracks
01-24-2014, 11:29 AM
I just got done putting imashooter2's recipe in the dutch oven and into the regular oven. Once it is done, I will try beagles cornbread on top.

imashooter2
01-24-2014, 01:45 PM
If you used great northern beans instead of navy beans, increase the bake time to 6 hours.

Charlie Two Tracks
01-24-2014, 08:11 PM
Thanks imashooter2. I did that and it turned out great! Everyone liked it including my 15 yr. old graddaughter. Cornbread went just great with that.

imashooter2
01-24-2014, 09:12 PM
Thanks. Nanna always made steamed brown bread (with raisins) but that was always too much work for me. I make cornbread too.

Charlie Two Tracks
02-15-2014, 02:02 PM
Fired up another batch today and it should be ready for supper. Dang good with cornbread.

Dark Helmet
02-17-2014, 01:50 AM
+1 on putting them in your hog cooker/smoker to cook or rewarm them.
+1 on the above recipes. I always added some ketchup, garlic, cumin, a bit of ginger (supposed to help the gas situation) and a pinch of pickling spice just for a last little twist. Added ham bits and pieces, cooked ham fat n bacon all in a batch, any way I could get that smokey flavor in there. Wasn't ever above putting a little spicy heat in there either.

MT Gianni
02-17-2014, 03:30 PM
For those who don't drain the water from the original soak what is the reason. I like at least three changes of water for less gas.

Teddy (punchie)
02-17-2014, 09:14 PM
Just had two big bowls of beef vegetable stew and you'll all making me hungry again.

Love bake beans and 2 fried eggs over medium, dry wheat toast , side fried cabbage , and side fried taters with onions. Good winter breakfast to get ready to cut a load of wood split and delivered, gets all burned up in the old boiler (stomach). Bad deer hunting season breakfast. Too 240 !!!! LOL I loved that old joke.

imashooter2
02-17-2014, 10:15 PM
For those who don't drain the water from the original soak what is the reason. I like at least three changes of water for less gas.

Flavor.

MaryB
02-18-2014, 02:07 AM
Drain all the nutrients. Rinse, soak, cook.

OeldeWolf
02-19-2014, 04:15 AM
We coked a LOT of pinto beans when I was young. Never had the 240problem, as we cooked them a little different.

On the stove, we added rinsed beans to a pot, added water appropriately (never had too much, as cooking boiled off a good bit), and then boiled them good for a couple hours. After the hard boil, turned them down and simmered all day. We would start them right after breakfast. the good boil helps break down the bean proteins, and no 240. Note, cooked like this, hard water will make hard beans!

Nowadays, I use the stove for the initial boil, then load them in a crock pot. Over night on low, then all day on high, and they are thick and dark and good.

Oh, served hem to lots of people, no gas problems reported. We usually added a smoked ham hock for flavor.

osteodoc08
02-27-2014, 02:02 PM
Thanks guys. I will be trying this soon. I never thought about putting cornbread on top........ sounds great.

+1. I'm gonna have to go dig out the dutch oven.

Old School Big Bore
03-06-2014, 03:01 AM
+1 to all the recipes containing booze, but my version uses bourbon.
For regular Pinto beans, which are the classic pairing down here, I presoak the Pintos in beer, then add water to cover and start the boil. This style is called 'Borrachos' or 'drunk ones'. For a faster version, bring the dried beans to a boil, then cool down for a few hours and start the boil over.
My late ex father in law (he was late before he was ex, whatever) used to call em 'beefhearts' because they ain't today, but they'll beefhearts tomorrow. Whaddaya want, he was an Arkie. There is a Mexican herb called Epazote that is added to beans and allegedly reduces the gas factor.
And I can see I'm gonna have to post my slap-yo-Mama cornbread recipe...

Bodydoc447
03-29-2014, 06:36 PM
1 pound dry Navy beans
1 large onion diced
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup dark molassas
1 tsp dry mustard

Made these today. Outstanding! Thanks for posting the recipe.

Doc