PDA

View Full Version : Dillon Swage 600 for 9mm?

cs86
01-21-2014, 11:11 AM
I'm having a hard time on Dillon's website figuring out if the swage parts are specifically more for rifle brass or can be used for pistol. I've only seen one tool specifically for 45acp on this swager unit. I'm wondering what I would need on the Dillon swage 600 for swaging 9mm brass pockets. I'm planning on getting this for 9mm and .223/5.56 brass, and realize that the .223/5.56 needs the small swage rod and small locator rod, just not sure on the 9mm as far as the locator rod.

Fire_Medic
01-21-2014, 11:41 AM
There's a part that comes with it that will work for 9MM, just be careful when using this tool as it is possible to swage too much take the time to make the proper adjustments.

SWANEEDB
01-21-2014, 11:43 AM
It is completely adjustable for large and small primer pockets, just have to change the pocket swage rod, is a very good tool and fast.

cs86
01-21-2014, 01:11 PM
There's a part that comes with it that will work for 9MM,
Awsome

Looked at the site again and noticed they do say it comes with the large and small swage rods. Will it also come with the locator rods? Trying to figure out if I need anything else to order with the package so I don't pay shipping twice for parts or if it is complete with everything I need.

ffries61
01-21-2014, 01:40 PM
I used a piece of PVC tubing over the locater rod to center up the pistol brass better when I was doing some .45 ACP brass, I was using a borrowed unit, so I don't know if they come with different locators.

Fred

Alvarez Kelly
01-21-2014, 02:09 PM
The Super Swage comes with all the parts needed for large and small primers. There are no optional parts for you to buy. Yet.

Dillon just announced at the Shot Show... they are coming out with new parts designed specifically to remove crimps from 9mm, 38 Super, 40 S&W, and 6.8 SPC. There is a YouTube video showing this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJV80dCU9pc

I have not heard how these new parts are going to be marketed, or how soon they will be available.

I would call Dillon and ask.

Alvarez Kelly
01-21-2014, 02:49 PM
I just watched the video again... The new swager adapters will be offered as an accessory in about a month.

Mk42gunner
01-21-2014, 03:25 PM
You may need to call them and actually talk to someone. My old swager only has locator rods for .223 and .30 calibers.

To do 9mm easily, I would get another .223 locator rod and build it up with epoxy to fit inside the case. I seem to remember one of the Dillon techs telling me they were working on pistol size rods several years ago.

Robert

Alvarez Kelly
01-21-2014, 03:27 PM
You may need to call them and actually talk to someone. My old swager only has locator rods for .223 and .30 calibers.

To do 9mm easily, I would get another .223 locator rod and build it up with epoxy to fit inside the case. I seem to remember one of the Dillon techs telling me they were working on pistol size rods several years ago.

Robert

They also include a 45ACP adapter now.

cs86
01-21-2014, 04:03 PM
I just watched the video again... The new swager adapters will be offered as an accessory in about a month.

I watched the video and wonder if they will be added to the kit or if they will be offered as separate items. I don't mind waiting a month so I can get the extra items. I wonder if this will truly be added to their catalog in a month... Sometimes a month turns into 2, 3 or more.

David2011
01-22-2014, 10:42 PM
You can make an accessory yourself that really makes the Super Swage faster and easier to use. I made one of these for .223 years ago and have never regretted it. The materials required are slow cure epoxy, milled glass fibers, glass beads or some other kind of filler for the epoxy and a plastic grocery bag. Any epoxy from 30 minute to several hours cure time will do- just avoid the 5-15 minute stuff. Acra-glas gel would be perfect.

If you're interested, you're going to make an insert that precisely locates the cartridge you're using in the swage. Start by adjusting the swage for the cartridge. Next cut 2 pieces of the plastic bag to protect the swage from the epoxy. Most plastic grocery bags are polypropylene and epoxy doesn't stick to it very well. Put one piece of plastic bag where the cartridge goes in the swage. Mix some epoxy, about a teaspoon of each part will be enough. I added some black pigment like comes with Acra-glas but it's not a necessity. Put the epoxy where the cartridge goes and cover it with the other piece of plastic. Put the cartridge in the swage and put the handle in the swaging position. Leave it overnight. Once the epoxy is cured you can peel the plastic off and file/sand the excess away. The shape doesn't have to be perfect as long as it fits the swage and holds the cartridge without significant slop.

94304 94305

94306 94303

You now have a close fitting insert that makes sure your cartridge is well centered and pretty well eliminates damaged primer pockets while allowing you to swage much faster. Without the insert while going fast I would occasionally smear the edge of a primer pocket pretty badly, ruining the cartridge. I was swaging thousands of cartridges so some speed was appreciated. Since every case is perfectly centered by the insert the damaged pockets are a thing of the past.

David