PDA

View Full Version : 624 vs 629 4" revover accuracy?

Changeling
01-20-2014, 07:12 PM
I have been looking for a excellent S&W 624 4" (44 special rounds only) for some time to no avail, so far !

A friend on this site recommended a S&W 629 4" (either 44 special or 44 magnum rounds).

I was wondering if anyone has done or heard of an accuracy test in regard to these two revolvers using "44Special only" in the 2 revolvers? I do not need or want to use Magnum rounds. I have revolvers (Ruger) that shoot those exceptionally well.

What are the different weights of the 2 revolvers and any pros/cons you can think of?

I guess what I'm saying is I really want the 624 4", but all I have been able to find is some abused or problem specimens at rediculious prices!

Looking for ideas, information, whatever?

odis
01-20-2014, 07:55 PM
So are you planning to shoot 44spec ammo in the magnum or just reload the magnum down to special velocity?

Outpost75
01-20-2014, 09:13 PM
I think that worrying about the accuracy of one S&W .44 vs. another is measuring with micrometers while cutting with axes. Neither of those guns is in the precision target revolver class. If you find a load which will consistently shoot 6-shot groups, using all six chambers, which average under 4" at 50 yards, over a series of 24 or more consecutive rounds, discounting nothing, that is the best which can be expected.

bearcove
01-20-2014, 10:27 PM
They are like other guns. They vary. I have a 629 mountain revolver from about '88 when they first were making them before they renamed to mt gun. It was a *** 12" at 50 ft. Call S&W got return info.

The gunsmith called me and we talked for a while and he was gonna fix it. He replaced the barrel, crane, cylinder and some internals. I got it back and it is a gun I will keep forever. The barrel cyl gap is very tight but same all around. About 0.001. Action is smooth trigger crisp, and if I do my part it will shoot under a inch at 50 yds. And its not picky likes most anything I feed it.

Point is which model you get is not as important as how the gun you GET is built. The potential is there.

I have an old ruger BH 357 that will shoot 2 MOA and another that is a 2 1/2 inch at 25 yrds.

My 629 is 38 oz empty

Char-Gar
01-20-2014, 10:37 PM
Either one will do just fine for a field revolver. I would pick the 44 mag for versatility.

44man
01-21-2014, 10:07 AM
Short barrels are not less accurate then long ones if you forget about sight radius but they CAN be if a certain boolit can not be brought up to velocity and spin.
That is the primary reason a short barrel will be less accurate.