PDA

View Full Version : hornady lock-n-load ap press best dies for 45 colt

mrk_86
01-20-2014, 09:11 AM
which dies for the hornady ap press have you guys had best luck with. I have seen so I have seen many mixed reviews about the lee and hornady dies. thanks any input would b helpful

lancem
01-20-2014, 10:18 AM
As odd as it may seem I've found Dillon dies work the best in my L&L. I use them for all of my calibers that I load on the progressive, redding in all of my single stage press calipers.

Socal147
01-20-2014, 10:41 AM
I never was a fan of Dillon dies. I favor Hornady Custom. Go figure! I do like Redding but I am not sure they are worth the extra cash.

williamwaco
01-20-2014, 10:44 AM
I use the RCBS in my LNL.

chsparkman
01-20-2014, 10:44 AM
I've used Lee and Hornady for 45ACP and they both work fine. I use a Redding crimp die.

Big Z
01-20-2014, 02:18 PM
I prefer the warranties and quality of Redding and RCBS. I still have and use some Lee sets that work great, but I think I've had 3 sets that had gouged sizing dies new from the store. Kinda makes a guy wonder if saving $10 is worth having to buy again in the event of a problem down the road.

mrk_86
01-20-2014, 08:03 PM
thanks everyone! i think im gunna try the rcbs

Lloyd Smale
01-21-2014, 08:11 AM
I use hornady and rcbs in mine. My dillon set doesnt seem to have enough taper on the entrance to the sizer die and its a bugger getting the timing just right so the case starts in the die.

mrk_86
01-21-2014, 07:37 PM
i have heard on 45 colt the hornady dies do not work properly on some brass. anyone had that experience?? i like all my other hornady dies so far

Fire_Medic
01-21-2014, 07:43 PM
i have heard on 45 colt the hornady dies do not work properly on some brass. anyone had that experience?? i like all my other hornady dies so far

Been eyeballing the Hornady dies as well, never used a set before so if I order these they will be my first set of this brand. Also for the AP, and also for 45 Colt…...

Lloyd Smale
01-22-2014, 09:44 AM
mine have worked just fine

Bonz
01-22-2014, 09:53 AM
I have used the Hornady, Lee and recently the Redding Pro Series. I'm gonna stick with the Lee die set and probably sell the Hornady and Redding die sets at some point, maybe... {hoarder alert}

Fire_Medic
01-22-2014, 10:07 AM
I have used the Hornady, Lee and recently the Redding Pro Series. I'm gonna stick with the Lee die set and probably sell the Hornady and Redding die sets at some point, maybe... {hoarder alert}

Could you elaborate on the reasons why?

Thanks
FM

Moonman
01-22-2014, 10:17 AM
I only load straight wall HANDGUN, Dillon and Hornady work for me.

Bonz
01-22-2014, 10:22 AM
Could you elaborate on the reasons why?

Thanks
FM

The Hornady dies do okay with cast boolits but taper crimp on jacketed or plated bullets were real inconsistent. The Redding Pro Series do great except I think that the Titanium Carbide actually scrapes the case lube off and sizing seems to be a bit rough. The Lee dies work great with cast or jacketed/plated bullets. I just don't use the Factory Crimp Die when i reload cast, keeps them from getting squished

Fire_Medic
01-22-2014, 10:26 AM
TY Bonz appreciate the feedback.

Socal147
01-22-2014, 10:48 AM
My dillon set doesnt seem to have enough taper on the entrance to the sizer die and its a bugger getting the timing just right so the case starts in the die.
I am having timing issues but it is due to the unit and not the dies. I was wondering about this variable. A die may be tightened up for single stage use but too tight for progressive. Hmmmm
I have been on the phone with Hornady. They are sending a new index wheel. One of the pawl is now chipped also. Really tough when things are not right. Not overly concerned. It will be corrected.

Fire_Medic
01-22-2014, 10:51 AM
I use hornady and rcbs in mine. My dillon set doesnt seem to have enough taper on the entrance to the sizer die and its a bugger getting the timing just right so the case starts in the die.

That's odd because the Dillon dies and the Redding Pro Series are designed specifically with a taper to work with the progressive press.

I would trouble shoot your press, and start with checking to see if the shell plate is loose as that can cause your brass to hang up with your sing die amongst other things.

Bonz
01-22-2014, 10:53 AM
That's odd because the Dillon dies and the Redding Pro Series are designed specifically with a taper to work with the progressive press.

I would trouble shoot your press, and start with checking to see if the shell plate is loose as that can cause your brass to hang up with your sing die amongst other things.

The Redding Pro Series dies have the largest tapered opening on any die that I have ever used.

John Allen
01-22-2014, 11:43 AM
I use RCBS 45lc in my lock and load. I have not had any problems. I have a mix of all the dies listed and have not seen a problem with any of them in mine.