PDA

View Full Version : H&G 68 @ 100 meters?

crabo
12-06-2007, 10:28 PM
Anyone done any accuracy testing of the H&G 68 at 100 yards or meters? I keep wanting to buy an H&G 81 which is the 68 design for 38 Super. I have the 68 bullet, but have 2 guns that I am wanting to work up loads for first and it is going to have to wait. I want the 81 for my 38 super and 9mm AR.

I have shot my 38 super offhand at the 150 meter chicken and can get scary close and hit it regulary enough to keep doing it with a 5" 1911 with open sights. However this was done with round nosed jacketed bullets. I am wondering is the SWC design is going to lose velocity and accuracy at the 100 to 150 meters vs the round nose jacketed.

The price tag of the Ballisticast is holding me back, but if it worked it would be well worth it.

Any opinions or thoughts about the swc in 38 super or 9mm carbine for long range?

Thanks,

Crabo

slughammer
12-06-2007, 10:34 PM
I think I'm the only one who posted any targets this year. If you take a look at the attached link you'll find my results using HG 68.

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=18414

I do believe this thread has a link to the match from 2006 also.

Slughammer

Lloyd Smale
12-07-2007, 07:02 AM
heres what ive found in informal plinking and benching. the h&g is about the best for long range work out of the 1911s followed closely by the lyman 200 swc. they both do much better if you leave the light loads at home. I can keep both in the kill zone of a full sized sliouette target at a 100 yards. Off the bench i can get 4 inch groups out of the h&g with a little load work. The lyman will do just slightly worse. (the lyman needs speed more then the h&g design. Busting rocks at 200 the H&G does better then the lyman. But again to get any kind of accuracy you have to be shooting full power loads. Past 200 yards youd better find some pretty big rocks!!! Some guys will try the heavy 250s designed for the 45 colt but ive found they dont do any better out of the acps then the bullets made for them. Its pretty tough to get the 250s up to enough velocity (without beating the crap out of your gun) to make them any kind of a long range load. Another bullet that showed promise at long range was the group buy bdcm bullet but i just never got it to shoot the majic small groups at 25 yards and thats where i do most of my 1911 shooting.

GSM
12-11-2007, 03:35 PM
I haven't put the 68 on paper at 100m, but it will reach out and smack a hunter's pistol ram target at 100m from a 1911. Have to add about 10 clicks of elevation from 50m to 100m though....

Thompson Contender used to make a 45ACP barrel - still much sought after.