PDA

View Full Version : #1 Rolling Block barrel in .43 Spanish?

THerbert
01-19-2014, 08:02 PM
I picked up a military rolling black a while back in .43 Spanish. Given what I paid for it, it's not surprising that the longer I work on the bore, the worse it gets! The wood is decent, and the the action is in good shape, but the barrel is in such bad shape that it's not worth relining -- lots of bad pitting under the forearm.

So, does anyone have a .43 Spanish barrel lying around that they took off an action, to rebarrel to another caliber? Or a barrel in another black powder caliber that will thread into a #1 action, that just collecting dust? I haven't bought any brass, bullet molds or dies for the .43 yet, so I'm not necessarily wedded to that caliber...

Thanks!

salpal48
01-19-2014, 08:27 PM
I had a military rolling block in about the same condition but in 43 Egyptian from sarco. Very, very poor condition.looked like it was dragged over the desert. i even thought like you to re-barrell , but it still shot and shot pretty good. you just can't kill them.
Sal

badgeredd
01-20-2014, 06:08 PM
I picked up a military rolling black a while back in .43 Spanish. Given what I paid for it, it's not surprising that the longer I work on the bore, the worse it gets! The wood is decent, and the the action is in good shape, but the barrel is in such bad shape that it's not worth relining -- lots of bad pitting under the forearm.

So, does anyone have a .43 Spanish barrel lying around that they took off an action, to rebarrel to another caliber? Or a barrel in another black powder caliber that will thread into a #1 action, that just collecting dust? I haven't bought any brass, bullet molds or dies for the .43 yet, so I'm not necessarily wedded to that caliber...

Thanks! There has been a fellow on Gunbroker with 43 Spanish parts including barrels on and off. I just checked and don't see anything listed, but you could keep watching and checking. I bought a barrel from him a couple years ago that was reasonably priced and in at least good condition. It saved my roller for sure.

Edd

THerbert
01-20-2014, 09:36 PM
There has been a fellow on Gunbroker with 43 Spanish parts including barrels on and off. I just checked and don't see anything listed, but you could keep watching and checking. I bought a barrel from him a couple years ago that was reasonably priced and in at least good condition. It saved my roller for sure.

Edd

Thanks!

blindeye
01-21-2014, 03:22 AM
What shank size and extractor type do you need to fit your action with the least work?

THerbert
01-21-2014, 10:17 AM
What shank size and extractor type do you need to fit your action with the least work?

As far as shank size, I'll have to take it to a gunsmith and have the current barrel removed from the receiver, I don't have an action wrench or barrel vise. I wouldn't want to muck it up using tools not suited to the job. It's a standard #1 military action made by Remington.

It uses a rotary extractor.

Thanks!

MtGun44
01-23-2014, 08:00 PM
Could the barrel be rebored to .45 70?

Bill

THerbert
01-24-2014, 06:24 PM
It could, but as I've said the exterior is in bad shape, especially where it was under the under the forearm. It's pretty badly pitted. I'd be better off replacing it, I think. That's why I'm looking for a .43 Spanish take-off.

EdZ KG6UTS
01-26-2014, 01:11 AM
I picked up a military rolling black a while back in .43 Spanish. Given what I paid for it, it's not surprising that the longer I work on the bore, the worse it gets!

Thanks!

Well, you have a good Military #1 action so you could use that as a base for whatever caliber you want. .43 Spanish is really close to .44-77 Sharps.
Good luck and have fun!!
EdZ KG6UTS

roots911
01-26-2014, 10:59 AM
There is one of the old conversion packages that had an octagon 45-70 barrel on ebay now. I think it was $175 the last time I saw it.

Old School Big Bore
01-26-2014, 11:09 AM
I really wish I could find a beater RB to rebarrel.

THerbert
01-26-2014, 02:34 PM
There is one of the old conversion packages that had an octagon 45-70 barrel on ebay now. I think it was $175 the last time I saw it.

It's up to $280 now, with 2+ days to go...

John Boy
01-26-2014, 06:24 PM
Do it right and buy a new barrel from Green Mountain. This way, mint bore and the caliber of choice