PDA

View Full Version : Mold beagling Question

ShooterAZ
01-19-2014, 12:03 PM
I picked up an older RCBS 44-250K and finally started working with it. It's in great condition, but is casting a little undersized for my needs. It's dropping boolits at .4295+/- with 2.5/2.5/95 alloy. I can get it to cast a bit larger with straight #2. I beagled with the aluminum tape and am now getting .4305. I'd like at least .431 to fit the throats of my Blackhawk. My question is: Has anyone used more than one layer of tape? What were your results? I am getting no finning now, but am a little concerned about it if I add another layer. Thanks...Shooter

milrifle
01-19-2014, 12:29 PM
I've used two layers. No finning. I put the second piece on the other side of the mold rather than on top of the first piece.

Walter Laich
01-19-2014, 01:50 PM
let us know how this works
walt

ShooterAZ
01-19-2014, 04:03 PM
I put the tape on both halves of the mold, and cast about 50 boolits before one side pulled the other off. The sticky on the back of the tape melts and gets on the surface of the tape. I will re-apply it and give it another go later. Next time I will keep a closer eye on the glue, and wipe it off with a q-tip. They are casting at .431+ now which is exactly what I wanted. No fins, and the boolits are round. Before doing this the boolits just dropped right through the cylinder...now I have to nudge them through. I think this will work out.

mrbill2
01-20-2014, 12:27 PM
A better tape than heat duct tape is 3M Stove Pipe Tape. Good for 600* Buy at Ace Hardware.
Much better glue.