PDA

View Full Version : Lee 4-20 pots simply put frustratingly disappointing!

usmcscout
01-19-2014, 05:53 AM
ok so where did I go wrong. gone through 2 pots, 1st one I used 2 times then I noticed the bottom was sagging bottom as in thin cover on bottom anyway all the screws were turning strange color then all this molten lead started seeping out well long story short the bottom pour spout retaining nut that holds it to bowl developed a crack or had some kind defect from factory. so since I really didn't want tear it apart as its kinda pain for me being in wheelchair and all. so I called LEE hoping they would just send a replacement nope they wouldn't they just told me they could only offer me a replacement nut. I even politely explained my physical situation and kinda not really being familiar with how to dissemble it, they took no mercy:Fire:

long story short I messed up and as the nut got tight the spout that barely holds onto the bowl slipped and I SCREWS THE ENTIRE THING UP - SO I don't blame lee for me breaking it for good. for a solid week I called lee asking if they could just defect it and maybe send new one THEY REFUSED STATING IT had BEEN 45 DAYS AND SINCE I didn't have a receipt and I would have to eat it this time. I understand to a POINT but still felt like they could done more help me out

so my urge to do some casting became too much 8-) and despite me very tight budget I made the mistake and bought another figuring it was mostly my fault and despite their mediocre customer service! I bought another same model. used damn thing maybe 5 times with no leaks things are on the up and up as far as casting goes UNTIL one day I went and turned it on to warm up put few ingots on top to top it off and had it set on 7 and went to talk to my sons baby sitter and grabbed my prepped molds and in the 15 min somehow the entire pot had heated up and "DRIPPED OUT" ENCASING THE ENTIRE POT FROM ANOUT INCH ABOVE BOTTOM OF BOWL to all around totally ENCASING THE ENTIRE POT AND LOOKED LIKE ONE HUGE INGOT

SO I got pissed and took sledge hammer too it

SO NOW I HAVE HUGE PILE LEAD INGOTS, FEW BRASS MOLDS AND NO POT! BUT I WILL TAKE THAT OVE ANOTHER LEE POT ANY DAY OF THE WEEK

just thought I would share my nightmare with lee casting equipment

sorry no pics JUST A BOX FULL OF PARTS [smilie=1:

kayak1
01-19-2014, 03:16 PM
Next time you could have used a torch and melted it free. I have done it and it works. Try to not leave that much lead in it. When I leave it full it will leak, when you leave an inch it doesn't do it as much. Get the inch hot then add more and keep the pot liquid after then initial melt next time.

VHoward
01-19-2014, 04:38 PM
Or just save up your money for an RCBS Promelt and not have to worry about drips and have awesome customer service if you ever need it.

Baron von Trollwhack
01-19-2014, 06:44 PM
Hmmm. you certainly appear to be having some issues. BvT

bangerjim
01-19-2014, 06:52 PM
Have used my 4-20's for a long time with absolutely NO problems! They do not even drip as many bitch about.

banger

el34
01-19-2014, 07:11 PM
Have used my 4-20's for a long time with absolutely NO problems! They do not even drip as many bitch about.

banger

Same here. Started with a 4-20, still use it. Mine dumped almost a full load of lead onto my casting table but I guess it was my fault for sitting it on stilts (sort of) then stupidly tipping it over.

Sorry about your frustration scout.

bhn22
01-19-2014, 07:22 PM
I had three of them, and they all leaked. Now I have none. There is a really reliable Lyman Mag 20 on the bench though.

01-19-2014, 08:54 PM
It seems that Lee's customer service department has been infiltrated by employees of their quality control department.

gunoil
01-19-2014, 09:38 PM
buy a rcbs pro melt. i got mine on cheaper than dirt. Light years ahead.

jmort
01-19-2014, 09:47 PM
Is the Pro Melt made in China? RCBS and Lyman had outsourced so much production to China I would hate to get some Chinese product. I would just save up for the for the Magma Engineering Master Pot. Way better than the RCBS Pro Melt.

Chilmonty
01-19-2014, 09:55 PM
The Promelt and Mag20 sell for what $350 and $450 respectively.

Occasionally you get what u pay for. JMO

jmort
01-19-2014, 10:00 PM
I would hate to spend that kind of money on some Chinese made pot regardless. Lyman and RCBS are moving way too much production to China. With Magma Engineering, you are getting the real deal in the Master Pot. And for sure you are getting for money's worth with the Master Pot.

VHoward
01-20-2014, 12:05 AM
$575.00 for a Magma Master Pot. You can get the Pro melt for less than $300 on sale. The 4-20 that he bought 2 of goes for around $90. If he had saved his money instead, he would have been more than half way to the Promelt. He treid to save money by buying Lee, so I doubt he would have gone for the Master Pot.. Might have gotten high on that anyway.

usmcscout
01-20-2014, 12:24 AM

banger

well I think many would say otherwise seems more like a piss than drip but I suppose that they do make one that functions ok every so often but I will not buy another

usmcscout
01-20-2014, 01:00 AM
well I pretty sure the first one was 88 or 89 because I bought it at a black powder shop that is notoriously high and the second was online I foret where maybe one of the usual suspects, midway REGAURDLESS where or how much paying anything over a dollar is way too much.

I BUY american wherever I can but sorry sometimes it just isn't feesable exspecally given my meger income while the "V.A" get their **** togeather

someday I will prob get pro-melt or Lyman mag 25 prob the MAG 25 because I have had good luck with their "CS"

MAGMA, well in a perfect world maybe but right now thats out my range

back to lyman "mag 25" the NEWEST MODEL looks pretty interesting though with the mold warmer and touchscreen! and built in P.I.D with temp and target interestingly the price is ABOUT 100$ LESS than mag 20. all for 249.99 on midway (if I remember right) not that its in my future but someday maybe. it will be interesting see what reviews are anyways so for now hanging up my molds lol it was fun while it lasted...just thought I would share my frustration but all in all YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR

dikman
01-20-2014, 01:18 AM
I was sorry to read about your problems with the Lee. It's the first time I've come across anyone having such severe issues with a Lee pot (particularly a new one). I'm certainly not impressed with Lee's response. As for the Mag25, don't hold your breath, it's been delayed so many times that one wonders if it's even out of the design stage (and it's made in China).

Old School Big Bore
01-20-2014, 01:58 PM
I got a new Lee 20 lb after wearing out one of their ten pounders and having another one rust out. I was thinking of having the pot portion hard chromed but didn't want to void the warranty...guess the warranty I was worried about is worth about a pitcher of warm spit. I have had so many issues with Lee stuff I don't know why I keep trying. I recently got an old Lyman XX basket case as a "gift" - will Lyman even attempt to help with parts for their old furnaces?

bangerjim
01-20-2014, 02:19 PM
The Promelt and Mag20 sell for what $350 and $450 respectively.

Occasionally you get what u pay for. JMO

I just cannot see why anyone would spend that kind of money for a steel pot with Chromalux heating elements wrapped around it! I paid $40 for my 1st 4-20 and $55 for the 2nd one. Both work perfectly. And I have a little 4 pounder for ladling that works perfectly also.

Please.....someone that owns and uses one ....make a sales pitch to me to justify the spending of that much money for a lead melting pot! I just cannot see the advantages. I am sure there are many others on here that would like to hear that story too.

Thanks,

banger

RKJ
01-20-2014, 03:45 PM
It stinks that you have had so much problems. I don't appreciate LEE's customer service much either, but they have taken care of me. I have one of the 4-20's and it does leak but it's a minor annoyance and hasn't been much of a problem. I've actually had more problems with my Lyman 4500 (which were admittedly caused by my incompetence).

usmcscout
01-20-2014, 05:30 PM
It stinks that you have had so much problems. I don't appreciate LEE's customer service much either, but they have taken care of me. I have one of the 4-20's and it does leak but it's a minor annoyance and hasn't been much of a problem. I've actually had more problems with my Lyman 4500 (which were admittedly caused by my incompetence).

I have a lyman4500 too with internal heater setup and my only issue is alignment. seems like when you place a bullet on sizing die and pull handle rarely lines up strait well lyman had no ideas and offered send me new one no cost replace but ended up tossing thr rcbs sizing dies wich had a funky size shaft in die that was cupped and solved some issue but still have to guide it with one hand may not sound like big deal but for mee it is since my wheelchair sit kinda low

someday when I can get back into casting I will get STAR sizer that so many seem like or at least seco maybe but thats gonna be awhile

usmcscout
01-20-2014, 05:49 PM
the hardchrome would be gtg but warranty that's funny imo guess I should known better by how flimsy their made compared any other brand

I just don't get why their so popular I have admit I do have few sets dies but mostly cal I don't load much like 44mag, 357, 50AE (a female friend has one suppressed yes I said suppressed) their dies are ok BUT love to rust however second to rcbs even with a light coat clp

their trimmers and case length gauges are poorly executed BUT don't meen turn this thread into lee bashing thread some love them some hate them but most should avoid them

I am starting to believe that paying little extra and getting a superior product or at min a product that is made to last rather than one that merely gets job done the only down side is it takes me longer come up with the funds

VHoward
01-20-2014, 09:43 PM
I just cannot see why anyone would spend that kind of money for a steel pot with Chromalux heating elements wrapped around it! I paid $40 for my 1st 4-20 and $55 for the 2nd one. Both work perfectly. And I have a little 4 pounder for ladling that works perfectly also.

Please.....someone that owns and uses one ....make a sales pitch to me to justify the spending of that much money for a lead melting pot! I just cannot see the advantages. I am sure there are many others on here that would like to hear that story too.

Thanks,

banger
Let's see. My first pot was a Lee Production pot IV. It worked for me for about 6 months. One day i turned it on to warm up, came back in an hour to find it empty with the lead all over my casting bench. I unplugged it, cleaned up the mess and put the pot up on the shelf. I purchased an RCBS Pro Melt, it has never done that to me. It does not drip or leak. It has worked perfectly for me for over 3 years and expect many more years of trouble free use. That was good enough reason for me to pay the extra money.

The Lee pot is still on the shelf empty. It will never see another pound of lead put through it as long as it is in my house.. If someone wants it, pay the shipping and you can have it.

The pot is gone.

KLR
01-20-2014, 10:59 PM
Let's see. My first pot was a Lee Production pot IV. It worked for me for about 6 months. One day i turned it on to warm up, came back in an hour to find it empty with the lead all over my casting bench. I unplugged it, cleaned up the mess and put the pot up on the shelf. I purchased an RCBS Pro Melt, it has never done that to me. It does not drip or leak. It has worked perfectly for me for over 3 years and expect many more years of trouble free use. That was good enough reason for me to pay the extra money.

The Lee pot is still on the shelf empty. It will never see another pound of lead put through it as long as it is in my house.. If someone wants it, pay the shipping and you can have it.

If you're serious about that offer, I'd like to have it.

remy3424
01-20-2014, 11:05 PM
Well, I recently bought a 4-20 to replace my two little Lee IV bottom pours...hope I am upgrading...

dragon813gt
01-20-2014, 11:17 PM
worked for me for about 6 months. One day i turned it on to warm up, came back in an hour to find it empty with the lead all over my casting bench.

Why would you leave a pot of melting lead alone for that long? Or any amount of time for that matter? That's a really unsafe practice.

I have a Lee pot and I will admit it can be frustrating at times. The leaks/drips are usually caused by debris getting into the spout. It seems no matter how well I flux the lead, in another pot, there is still some debris in the ingots I put into the Lee pot. It's usually fairly easy to get it to stop. It's when the random leaks that are only fixed by emptying the pot and cleaning the spout happen that I get mad. Happened over this past weekend. IMO the other pots are over priced and Lee's spout design is lacking. I will deal w/ some frustration before I overpay for a pot.

VHoward
01-20-2014, 11:23 PM
If you're serious about that offer, I'd like to have it.
PM replied to. It is just taking up space on my shelf that can be used for something useful.

VHoward
01-20-2014, 11:29 PM
Why would you leave a pot of melting lead alone for that long? Or any amount of time for that matter? That's a really unsafe practice.

I have a Lee pot and I will admit it can be frustrating at times. The leaks/drips are usually caused by debris getting into the spout. It seems no matter how well I flux the lead, in another pot, there is still some debris in the ingots I put into the Lee pot. It's usually fairly easy to get it to stop. It's when the random leaks that are only fixed by emptying the pot and cleaning the spout happen that I get mad. Happened over this past weekend. IMO the other pots are over priced and Lee's spout design is lacking. I will deal w/ some frustration before I overpay for a pot.
My casting bench is metal, no fire hazard. And the frustration makes the other pots worth it. I don't consider it overpaying when it has already outlasted the Lee pot 6 times longer and still going strong. If there is debris that can't be gotten out, then it has somehow not effected my RCBS Pro Melt any. Haven't drained it to "clean" it yet.

KLR
01-20-2014, 11:33 PM
PM replied to. It is just taking up space on my shelf that can be used for something useful.

Thank you. Maybe I'll plug the spout, remove the lever assembly, and use a ladle.

usmcscout
01-21-2014, 05:12 PM
anyone have a pro melt sitting on a shelf taking up space ? [smilie=1: couldn't resist

why let one sit alone? thats silly question who wants watch water boil if ya didn't notice it always takes longer when you watch it lol no mine was sitting on a desk with metal under it and being in chair it takes me bit longer most to grab stuff ya I prob shouldn't have left my lee pots alone but whatever looks like my casting gig is over anyway

thanks everyone

safe casting and shooting

shadowcaster
01-21-2014, 11:02 PM
Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post

banger
Same here. Started with a 4-20, still use it. Mine dumped almost a full load of lead onto my casting table but I guess it was my fault for sitting it on stilts (sort of) then stupidly tipping it over.

Sorry about your frustration scout.

I have 2 of them that I run side by side and have had no drips or problems with either one. They are worth every penny. It is possible to get a lemon in anything you buy.

Shad

dikman
01-22-2014, 01:14 AM
To true - but two lemons in a row?