PDA

View Full Version : New Brass hehehe

wonderwolf
12-06-2007, 05:41 PM
This is one of the few instances I actually have NEW brass for a firearm. But its usually with a rifle so I've never had new brass for any pistol that I can recall. I got 1k of 45 colt brass last summer to sit on while my Blackhawk was waiting new parts. I had a small handful of range pic up brass I shot through it when it didn't have sights on it. I've finally gotten around to this new brass and was wondering if I need to FL resize? they seem to effortlessly glide in and out of the cylinder (1k pcs of starline brass is just PURDY :Fire:) or can I got right into bell prime powder and seat?

Dale53
12-06-2007, 06:55 PM
I always size my new cases before reloading. However, I have a Dillon 550B and time is not a factor. If you are single loading, try one. If you have enough neck tension, you're good to go if they'll chamber (and you stated that they will).

The exception is if you are shooting heavy loads with slow, hard to ignite powders. For those, I prefer to full length size to insure enough bullet pull to aid proper ignition of hard to ignite powders (H110 or 296 for example).

Dale53

wonderwolf
12-06-2007, 07:31 PM
I sized them just to keep things the same down the road. I'm using a single stage press since I'm only loading a short run of ammo (under a 100 rounds). And that keeps me from having to mess with the turret press.

EDK
12-07-2007, 05:22 AM
There's just something nice about looking at a box of 1000 (or more!) new casings to play with. I had bought 500 Starline nickle plated 44 specials and then found a close-out on 1000 count boxes of Remington. Wish I could have afforded more than 2 of them. Just got into the second box last month.

I resize all the new stuff, but all my pistol reloading is on the Dillon 550. It's just habit from once-fired brass..and it's easier to load it into the first station.

:castmine: :Fire: