PDA

View Full Version : Revolver barrel split

mikeym1a
01-18-2014, 07:47 PM
I came across this video on YouTube this evening. This fellow has quite a few videos up, and he seems quite knowledgeable . Anyway, This is quite interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU4-v433Of0

Enjoy!! mikey

Hellgate
01-18-2014, 09:39 PM
I was shooting my Uberti Millenium Remingtons one day and got a POP and no boom. I suspected that the cap merely failed to ignite the charge but some little instinct in me said "check the barrel before you reload" and I found a ball lodged about 1" from the muzzle. My powder flask had run out of powder and dropped just a few grains into the chamber, enough to push the ball out of the chamber into the barrel but not sound any different than a misfire. Sometimes I think God is watching.

bigted
01-19-2014, 12:01 AM
I was shooting my Uberti Millenium Remingtons one day and got a POP and no boom. I suspected that the cap merely failed to ignite the charge but some little instinct in me said "check the barrel before you reload" and I found a ball lodged about 1" from the muzzle. My powder flask had run out of powder and dropped just a few grains into the chamber, enough to push the ball out of the chamber into the barrel but not sound any different than a misfire. Sometimes I think God is watching.

boy that is such a good warning. i can think of several times when i assume that the cap just didnt do its job and keep rollin the cylinder and shooting. taking an extra minute to inspect just what happened is always a great idea. this is such a super sport and with just a bit of ignoring small things can make it dangerous in a hurry.

thanks again for mentioning this little hint as to being patient and taking nothing for granted.

Omnivore
01-21-2014, 02:47 PM
I saw that video. Yikes. Here's a detailed account of a very near disaster of a similar nature that I had a while back with a Winchester;
http://blog.joehuffman.org/2012/07/16/the-kaboom-that-wasn-t/

w5pv
01-21-2014, 04:20 PM
I have always checked the barrel when there is a mouse phoot sound.This is the reason I don't like under loaded rounds for plinking and such,to me it is asking for a boolit to be stuck in the barrel at some time or other.

rbertalotto
01-21-2014, 07:38 PM
In cowboy action shooting you are going so fast you can't stop sometimes. I was at a match with a 1866 Winchester repro in 38-40. Fired three shots as fast as I could and never saw a hit on the plates. I stopped
Thank God, I'd loaded a whole box of cartridges without powder! Three bullets stuck in the bore. They knocked right out with a wooden dowel. But if that third one had had powder it could have been damaging.

Good Cheer
01-21-2014, 09:35 PM
That put a chill up my back side.

Bullfrog
01-25-2014, 10:55 AM
That was an excellent Video! Thank you !