PDA

View Full Version : Cast Bullets for Ruger No1 7x57 RSI - easy or difficult?

Shaun
01-18-2014, 07:40 PM
G'day Everyone,

I'm a recent cast bullet convert and Ruger No 1 single shot fan. Recently I read that loading cast bullets for the No 1 7x57 can be difficult and success in terms of hunting accuracy and velocity can be challenging - then others write that it's no more difficult than casting bullets for 308. Anyway, is there some casters for Ruger No 1's / 7mm lovers in the house that could chime in with some tips and tricks?

I'd like to use the Lee 130gr with Lyman #2 alloy. Is it possible to get 2400fps velocity with hunting accuracy using the No 1 rifle?

Thanks in advance!

Rgds,
Shaun
(Australia)

Lefty SRH
01-18-2014, 08:23 PM
I have the same rifle and have gone this road. Mine has been very difficult with cast. I have tried several different boolit designs and havent had any luck yet. I have one mold design to try when it warms up and after i finish my shop.

Lefty SRH
01-18-2014, 08:24 PM
A good chamber casting and slugging your barrel will save you a good bit of headache.

Shaun
01-19-2014, 12:01 AM
Thanks for your reply Lefty.

May I ask what bullet designs you have tried before?

Thanks,
Shaun

.22-10-45
01-19-2014, 01:25 AM
Hello, Shaun. Sounds like your asking two different questions. The 7X57 ctg. is accurate with cast. As far as your No.1...find out what the accuracy level is with various jacketed handloads..including match grade bullets. Establish an accuracy benchmark..then work towards that goal with cast. In most cases, cast can equal or better match jacket bullets as far as accuracy goes.

Shaun
01-19-2014, 02:14 AM
Hi .22-10-45 and thanks for replying. I've had really good accuracy with jacketed with everything I've used so far - all Hornady with the 100gr traditonal varmint bullet, 154gr Interlock and the 162gr SST - all around 1" at 100m. I'm confident in the rifle so wont need to test accuracy benchmark any further. My cast bullet pursuits are both budget orientated and for the fact I want control over my projectile supply. If I can find a cast load as mentioned above I would be most happy - 130 gr at 2400fps approx would reach out far enough and would hit and penetrate enough for my hunting needs with this rifle. Thanks again :-)

Shaun

Nrut
01-19-2014, 01:17 PM
Shaun,
You may be able to reach your goal of 2400 fps with accuracy in your little 7X57RSI using "grease groove" bullets..
But it will most likely take years depending how much time you have to devote to this project..
Same goes for any other cartridge using a factory chambered rifle..

The good news with a little time and perseverance you should be able to meet your goals using paper patched bullets..
There is a paper patch forum on this website that is second to none..
Please READ the sticky's at the top of the page on the PP forum before you start posting any questions..
Good luck with your project..
Your are going to have fun once you get into PP with your little RSI..

Whiterabbit
01-20-2014, 01:50 PM
Hi Shaun,

I shoot a MarkX, not a Ruger #1. that said, I shoot the LEE bullet and load for accuracy and speed. Or try to, anyways. Best I have done so far is ~2000 fps give or take, with 24 grains of H4895. I haven't been able to produce a better load. Plenty accurate for hunting. Very nicely accurate at 50 yards for target shooting, but trumpets at 100 for simple hunting accuracy. Whatever you wanna kill with 130 grains moving at 2000 fps.

more powder didn't help me.

Lefty SRH
01-20-2014, 02:36 PM
Boolits ive tried: 287308, 287641, 7mm-168 SP, NOE 150 hunter
I have a 150 ish grain Louverin to try next but im waiting for it to warm up and the range to reopen.

badgeredd
01-20-2014, 05:32 PM
One problem you'll run into with the RSI (as Lefty SRH has) is the short barrel length of the RSI realy limits powder selection. Another problem with Rugers in general has been the throating of their chambers. My suggestion is the same as Lefty SRH's, do a chamber cast or impact slug of the chamber and slug and measure the barrel.

Edd

Shaun
01-22-2014, 06:07 AM
Thankyou Everyone! Such a wealth of experience here! I really appreciate your replies with guidance/tips and tricks. Sounds like I actually will need to implement patience for this project ;-) You know, jacketed projectiles are so uncomplicated and boring... I wonder if I have actually been translated to where science, maths, metallergy, ballistics and fun meet together after pursuing an interest with cast bullets!

Thanks again folks - your information has been recieved gladly.

Rgds,
Shaun

Lefty SRH
01-22-2014, 08:01 AM
I wish you the best Shaun. If you find a good combo recipe please post it! Id sure try it in my rifle.