PDA

View Full Version : First a primer shortage,Now a powder shortage?

Leadmelter
01-18-2014, 07:09 PM
I stopped at my local gun store to see Bob. I asked of a can of titegroup and said he none. He told me distrubors are all out of stock.
First primers and now some powders! What is this world coming to? Is reloading go the way of the DoDo?
I saw a guy buy two boxes of Blazer's 22 for $10 bucks. I remember when you got a whole brick for that price.

Will pleasure shooting be priced out of the market? Is that the plan of the hedge funds managers to run these companies into the ground and declare victory??
Leadmelter
MI

boog
01-18-2014, 07:12 PM
It seems like it is specific to different stores around here. 2 in the area appear able to get things when others can't. I have seen it with guns and powder.

otter5555
01-18-2014, 07:39 PM
I stopped at my local gun store to see Bob. I asked of a can of titegroup and said he none. He told me distrubors are all out of stock.
First primers and now some powders! What is this world coming to? Is reloading go the way of the DoDo?
I saw a guy buy two boxes of Blazer's 22 for $10 bucks. I remember when you got a whole brick for that price.

Will pleasure shooting be priced out of the market? Is that the plan of the hedge funds managers to run these companies into the ground and declare victory??
Leadmelter
MI

where i live there's been al most zero powder/primers/ammo since the shooting. 22lr is still non-existant.

friends came for a visit from 650 miles away and said they have EVERYTHING on the shelves, just more expensive.

i dont get it?

Shiloh
01-18-2014, 07:39 PM
Primers for $35 per 1000 at the guns show today. Plenty of stock. No powder at this show. Unless you made plans in advance. Then one of the assistants walls outside to the truck and gets your powder.

Shiloh

Ed_Shot
01-18-2014, 08:00 PM
Just looked....MidSouth has CCI small pistol primers for $26.42 a brick on hand.

wv109323
01-18-2014, 08:12 PM
I have read a couple of articles on this shortage
. For a lot of reasons gun sales are up at record levels. This is based on the number NICS background checks.( CCW license issued,high capacity firearms being sold)
Manufacturers of primers and powder had their capacity matched to the demands of the old market. With an upswing in demand manufacturers could not ramp up their production to meet the new demand. Add to this the "panic" factor and the "greed" factor and you have a real shortage.
Manufacturers will not invest capital money for a temporary spike in demand. It took a while for them to realize that the present demand is the new norm. Also businesses were twice as hesitant as before to upscale their operations with new regulations and Obamacare.

sasquatch76
01-18-2014, 08:22 PM
Been having problems myself finding certain powders and primers. Hard to find Titegroup, Unique, and H335. Large pistol and small rifle primers are pretty much nonexistent around here too. Last time I actually found something was at my local WallyWorld about three months ago, bought a lb of CFE223 and 1000 WLP primers, nothing since then. They always have small pistol primers though (CCI and Win). Always have IMR4198 and H1000 powders too, which I have no use for.

HNSB
01-18-2014, 08:29 PM
Your Walmart sells powder and primers?

bhn22
01-18-2014, 08:41 PM
Hodgdon has more powder scheduled to arrive in the next month or so, at least more IMR powders. I don't know about the others. I'm sitting okay on powder, but will continue to buy more as I find it and can afford it. The same with primers. Don't wait until you run low, buy some here and there as you find it. Just because it's here today doesn't it'll still be available tomorrow.

ACrowe25
01-18-2014, 09:07 PM

Leadmelter
MI

Bob from MIgun?

I'll keep a look out for you...

sasquatch76
01-18-2014, 09:14 PM

Yep, both of them. They have a lot of Hornady, Nosler, and Sierra .224 bullets in stock right now, guess the run on those kinda died down. They handle RCBS dies and equipment with some Lyman stuff thrown in. Hodgdon, IMR, and Alliant powders. CCI and Win Primers.

Beetmagnet
01-18-2014, 09:21 PM
Talked to one of the reloading suppliers at the Raleigh NC gunshow today. By the way there was virtually NO pistol powder available at the entire show...plenty of rifle though. She said the distributor told her it would be hard to get into 2015. This lady sells powder and primers, and her company makes ammunition. She was really negative on the powder outlook, especially because her company is basically out of business because they can't make ammo without powder.

Blammer
01-18-2014, 09:35 PM
Here at the Asheville show, lots of powder and lots of primer, reasonably priced too

HNSB
01-18-2014, 09:42 PM
I've never seen powder or primers in a WalMart.
I wish the ones around here would carry them.

btroj
01-18-2014, 09:45 PM
I thought the powder shortage started at the same time as the primer shortage. I don't see any new news here.

Only difference now is that primers are coming back, powder is behind.

LeftyDon
01-18-2014, 09:48 PM
I thought the powder shortage started at the same time as the primer shortage. I don't see any new news here.

Only difference now is that primers are coming back, powder is behind.

Yeah, that's how it is around here too.

dragon813gt
01-18-2014, 09:57 PM
I can't wait for these threads to stop. This "news" is well over a year old. There is plenty of powder and primers available by me. It's not like it used to be w/ powder. Some of the more popular powders might not be available today. But give it a few weeks and it will be in stock. Most of the ones that people seem to not be able to find are available by me.

Maybe the powder shortage is fallout from Doe Run closing?

jonp
01-18-2014, 10:31 PM
Talked to one of the reloading suppliers at the Raleigh NC gunshow today. By the way there was virtually NO pistol powder available at the entire show...plenty of rifle though. She said the distributor told her it would be hard to get into 2015. This lady sells powder and primers, and her company makes ammunition. She was really negative on the powder outlook, especially because her company is basically out of business because they can't make ammo without powder.
I saw some powder and primers available but not a great deal. less than at the last show and some of it was Red Dot, Green Dot etc..found primers too but had to walk around for a deal. I bought some Win at $29.99/1000 and saw them from $27.99 to $39.99. My girlfriend talked to one guy who told her that she had better buy now because her "source" was going to raise prices 15% next week on powder and primers.

jonp
01-18-2014, 10:33 PM

Your not lieing. I've never seen a WalMart that sold them

gray wolf
01-18-2014, 10:38 PM
I can't wait for these threads to stop. This "news" is well over a year old. There is plenty of powder and primers available by me. It's not like it used to be w/ powder. Some of the more popular powders might not be available today. But give it a few weeks and it will be in stock. Most of the ones that people seem to not be able to find are available by me.
Well I have one store 80 miles away round trip and it's a big store, used to have all the powder you could want. They have been out for a LONG time, got some primers but no powder.
I have to depend on the net, powder valley and such, Midway, Ect. there is no powder to be had on the net of any use to a hand gun shooter, NONE that i can find. Being told that some local store in Podunk anyplace has powder does nothing for me and many, many other folks.
I have been told all about how many shooters there are, how many new shooters there are, how many new re loaders came on board, shown graphs with all kinds of numbers and zig zag lines going up and down, power point presentations, U-tube vids. and post on different boards.
Ware the helll is all the powder that is supposedly being made 24/7 by 5 or 6 major powder manufacturers. I was also told that I was not quick enough and didn't watch the net often enough.
Well Ba-hooey, something ain't right someplace. I was able to get 2 pounds of Blue dot about 2 months ago and I was lucky to get that. I got it from the store 80 miles away, it had dust on it and the rest of the shelves were Barron. I could only afford a pound or two anyway even if it were available--but it's not. This has gone on WAY to long, I am sorry but the explanations so far are not cutting it. I think it goes deeper than we are being told.

dragon813gt
01-18-2014, 10:52 PM
Being told that some local store in Podunk anyplace has powder does nothing for me and many, many other folks.

Sorry, but I have to laugh at the Podunk part. I live outside of Philadelphia which is anything but Podunk. There are five shops that are close and they all have powder. Some more than others but they all have them. There are more stores that are in a reasonable distance, 30 miles, that I frequent when I'm in the area but I haven't been to them in awhile so I don't know their status. Powder was sparse up until about a month ago. Now it's currently back in stock. Good think I live in Podunk, LOL.

edler7
01-18-2014, 10:53 PM

A Wally World where I used to live sold them. 1 out of the 2 in town. I asked the sporting goods clerk about it, he told me they were designated a rural store, not an urban store...and rural stores could stock reloading supplies. Their stock was usually pretty scant, but they did have some stuff.

milrifle
01-19-2014, 01:07 PM
I bought my son some reloading supplies for Christmas, everything he needed for 45ACP. I wanted to get him a can of Bullseye. My wife stopped by the LGS and they wanted $49.95 for a can of Bullseye! I was floored. I bought a can of RL7 from them not long ago for 29.95. They've been hit and miss on stuff, but not gouging per se, when they had stuff. No more than other stores, really. But $50 for a pound of powder? Well, I work 70 miles away in a much larger city. I called a store there. They had Bullseye for$24.00 a can. And had plenty of it on the shelf and said they had even more in the back. Guess I will just have to keep shopping around.

trapper9260
01-19-2014, 01:19 PM
Like is stated it is hit and miss for powder around here also.I guess need to just do what I have been pick up when I see it and go from there.

prs
01-19-2014, 01:40 PM
I could have written this same thing, except my round trip is more like 90 miles. All they have is fodder for 50BMG and fake black powder. Somebody is missing a huge opportunity to enter the market. Its not short term.

prs

Well I have one store 80 miles away round trip and it's a big store, used to have all the powder you could want. They have been out for a LONG time, got some primers but no powder.
I have to depend on the net, powder valley and such, Midway, Ect. there is no powder to be had on the net of any use to a hand gun shooter, NONE that i can find. Being told that some local store in Podunk anyplace has powder does nothing for me and many, many other folks.
I have been told all about how many shooters there are, how many new shooters there are, how many new re loaders came on board, shown graphs with all kinds of numbers and zig zag lines going up and down, power point presentations, U-tube vids. and post on different boards.
Ware the helll is all the powder that is supposedly being made 24/7 by 5 or 6 major powder manufacturers. I was also told that I was not quick enough and didn't watch the net often enough.
Well Ba-hooey, something ain't right someplace. I was able to get 2 pounds of Blue dot about 2 months ago and I was lucky to get that. I got it from the store 80 miles away, it had dust on it and the rest of the shelves were Barron. I could only afford a pound or two anyway even if it were available--but it's not. This has gone on WAY to long, I am sorry but the explanations so far are not cutting it. I think it goes deeper than we are being told.

gray wolf
01-19-2014, 01:40 PM
Sorry, but I have to laugh at the Podunk part. I live outside of Philadelphia which is anything but Podunk. There are five shops that are close and they all have powder. Some more than others but they all have them. There are more stores that are in a reasonable distance, 30 miles, that I frequent when I'm in the area but I haven't been to them in awhile so I don't know their status. Powder was sparse up until about a month ago. Now it's currently back in stock. Good think I live in Podunk, LOL.
I laughed also, anyway you know what i meant, :drinks:

gray wolf
01-19-2014, 01:43 PM
I laughed also, anyway you know what i meant, :drinks:

boog
01-19-2014, 01:47 PM
The stores that have it here are the ones that have been around for a long time. Maybe the stores that are well established and have a good reputation for selling the supplies (and taking care of the supplier) get their stock first?

Bass Pro gets small quantities because of having to ship out to all of their stores. They run out quick. The ones that stay in stock, or get replenished quick, are the smaller (but locally popular) stores.

Last week I wasn't looking for primers, but found HS6 and H110 in stock, bought a pound of each.

daniel lawecki
01-19-2014, 01:59 PM
Four gun stores within 25mins from my house no primers powder or 22lr. Has been hit or miss for about 2yrs here.

David2011
01-19-2014, 02:09 PM
Three WalMarts between home and the hunting area in West Texas carry reloading supplies. They've all been short on powder and primers for a long time. Agreed, the shortage of powder was simultaneous with the primer shortage. Since the local gun shops charged $5.50/hundred even before the shortage I've never bought primers locally. Powder was $35-40/lb before the crunch so I only bought one pound in an "emergency." The break-even point compared to Powder Valley or some of the other Internet retailers is just 2 pounds of powder. Now that PV and the others seldom have everything I want in stock I try to buy at gun shows. Stating the very obvious, it costs more than PV on a one pound basis without shipping but by the time all of the shipping costs are added it's cheaper to pay a little more and carry it home. Once the supply returns to normal, whenever that happens, I hope to going back to making larger orders with friends so the shipping costs become negligible.

David

lwknight
01-19-2014, 03:45 PM

Maybe you would like to share with others about where to buy all the powder you want?
I check with about a dozen big suppliers and the shelves are bare.

BABore
01-19-2014, 07:06 PM
Lots of powder and primers in SW Michigan. Pretty much all brands and types. Not much in the way of 22 LR though.

bangerjim
01-19-2014, 07:48 PM

I think it is a southern states thing. The ones up north and out here do not.

But..................I have 35 gun/ammo stores within a 25 mile radius of me! Go AZ!

bangerjim

lwknight
01-19-2014, 07:53 PM
Some that I watch are Powdervalley inc, midway. midsouth shooters, dillon, and a few others. A few primer are showing up but few bullets or powder.

Themayor
01-19-2014, 08:15 PM
I drive around to the local places that get powder once a week to find out what they got in. Still haven;t found accurate 1860 but have found everything else I've wanted over time. Getting stuff on the net requires luck.

dverna
01-19-2014, 08:24 PM
I tend to have quite of bit of stuff on hand as I always buy in bulk. Almost anyone who has buddies who reload can take advantage of bulk buys. It is very helpful for minimizing the impact of haz-mat fees.

I have a good amount of stuff on hand but when I find something at a decent price I buy more. Like the commercial says "More is better". Although I do not "need" more, I continue to make purchases. But I am not the problem. In spite of those who wish to target reloaders who have planned as "hoarders".

I do not buy overpriced items. $30/lb powder or $50/1000 primers will not interest me. Sellers will ask those prices until they are not moving enough inventory. Those who have not planned will get stuck paying more for a while. It is part of market dynamics. It is not "hoarders" who keep prices up, it is those who have NOT planned and continue to pay inflated prices who keep prices up. Blame the grasshoppers - not the ants!

Once things return to "normal", there will be more bargains and I will buy more. I hope my "buddies" join with me to do so, but I know many will not. You cannot teach common sense. Grasshoppers do not change.

Don Verna

bbqncigars
01-19-2014, 09:19 PM
"Buy it cheap and stack it deep." Words to live by IF you have a favorite load(s) to concentrate on. I've got lots of components for every gun, except for the Sharps that took too long to decide on Varget. ;-)

garym1a2
01-19-2014, 09:34 PM
Ocala florida store has some primers, Sierra bullets and red dot. Except this past year primers are short.

Your not lieing. I've never seen a WalMart that sold them

Ole
01-19-2014, 09:42 PM
My LGS has several kinds of powder in stock but they want $30/lb for it.

I'm not paying that price because I have plenty on hand.

CSWI SAMI
01-19-2014, 09:55 PM
WalMart here in VA sometimes has 22... Every time I go to the store they say they got it in that day but its already gone. No doubt to employees or to their friends who then hop on local forum sites and sell a brick for 50-60$. Gotta love them... Powder is hit and miss here too. In Norfolk a week and a half ago there was about no powder to be found and then a day or 2 later they got a big shipment in. Lots of powder to be found. Unfortunately I only had enough for a pound of it. Primers were at decent levels and priced accordingly. Projectiles were over priced though.

Eveything I have seen for powder is around 30 per pound.

olereb
01-19-2014, 10:35 PM
Nothing here unless you want some of the magnum rifle calibers or birdshot,i did see some small pistol primers at basspro at xmas for $50 per 1k plus tax. This area has been dead for well over a year,the only way I have found anything usefull is online.

jaysouth
01-19-2014, 10:46 PM
Here in middle TN, we have more powder than I've ever seen. Not at prices I like, but it's available. Supplies are sometime spotty on 2400, Red Dot and Unique. One will be available but not the others, then it changes next week. $26.99 for IMR one pounders, $179.99 for IMR 8 pounders

tomme boy
01-20-2014, 12:16 AM
What I was told is a Acid Engine that makes the nitro cellulose went down and also the feds turned away a container ship from CHina loaded with acid to turn into the cellulose. There is also supposed to be a new powder manufacturer from Europe bringing in powder. There was something about Alliant QC trouble also.

mpmarty
01-20-2014, 12:45 AM
before the 1st Obama vote I bought 30,000 primers and maxed out hazmat rules with VArget, BLC2, Red Dot and 2400. My powder magazine is full and I've got enough primers to last for many years. I'm an ant, not a grasshopper.

Boyscout
01-20-2014, 03:54 AM
Indy 500 Gun and Knife had powder, primers and bullets. Pistol Powder was limited. I believe Titegroup was all I saw. The only Acc 5744 was an 8 lb. jug. Of course, I went during the last four hours of the show.

The one booth selling cast bullets needed some quality control. On the bullets I checked out, it looked like one half of the mold was about 1/8" higher than the other. I didn't check the bases but they were ugly. Beat up military rifles were going for big bucks. I only checked out one gun. An H&R .357 Handi Rifle for $262.00.

Airman Basic
01-20-2014, 08:54 AM
Here in middle TN, we have more powder than I've ever seen. Not at prices I like, but it's available. Supplies are sometime spotty on 2400, Red Dot and Unique. One will be available but not the others, then it changes next week. $26.99 for IMR one pounders, $179.99 for IMR 8 pounders
Might take a drive up there for 8 lbs of Bullseye.

jonp
01-20-2014, 09:25 AM
I think it is a southern states thing. The ones up north and out here do not.

But..................I have 35 gun/ammo stores within a 25 mile radius of me! Go AZ!

bangerjim
I bought my first handgun at Ruffs Liquor and Guns in Flagstaff. A 357Mag Rossi, a bag of reloads and a 12 Pack of Bud for after the shooting. Put it on a credit card and walked out. They had a drive through window at the time too.

dtknowles
01-20-2014, 02:43 PM
before the 1st Obama vote I bought 30,000 primers and maxed out hazmat rules with VArget, BLC2, Red Dot and 2400. My powder magazine is full and I've got enough primers to last for many years. I'm an ant, not a grasshopper.

Thanks for sharing, I am so happy for you. This is helpful for others, how???

Tim

ShooterAZ
01-20-2014, 02:50 PM
I bought my first handgun at Ruffs Liquor and Guns in Flagstaff. A 357Mag Rossi, a bag of reloads and a 12 Pack of Bud for after the shooting. Put it on a credit card and walked out. They had a drive through window at the time too.

I'll take a 38 and of bottle of Wild Turkey Please....Ruff's stopped selling booze a few years back, only sporting goods now. Here in Flagstaff no one has much powder, but 2 weeks back I drove to Prescott, AZ and High Country Gun & Knives had more powder than you could shake a stick at. All at reasonable prices too. They apparently have some good connections.

Rattlesnake Charlie
01-20-2014, 03:01 PM
Plenty of powder and primers at the gun show in Topeka, KS this past weekend. Primers were $33/k and powder $20 - 25/lb. Great selection. No good deal on .22 LR.

The WalMart in Alamosa, CO sells powder.

destrux
01-20-2014, 03:29 PM

I was told by the guy who runs the Sporting Goods dept at the local Walmart that it's the store manager's discretion on what each store carries in their sporting goods department. I was told by another that corporate tells them a general plan on what to stock and the manager can only "fine tune" what they carry. Two of our local Walmarts carry a bunch of reloading equipment, powder, primers, a ton of ammo, optics, all sorts of other shooting stuff, AR-15's and all sorts of firearms. Rural area around them though. They do good business in the stuff.

destrux
01-20-2014, 03:41 PM
I see powder at Cabelas every time I go. Usually about $25 per pound. You usually have about two choices though, slow rifle powder or fast rifle powder, different stuff every time. Probably just my timing, I only go once every month or so, but I never see pistol powder.

If pistol powder keeps evading me I might have to see about doing a trade for some of my rifle powder or pay gunbroker prices.

w0fms
01-20-2014, 04:17 PM
It's the store manager's discretion. The one Wal-Mart that carried firearms dropped them after a local shooting several years back... the weapon was bought at the store. The store manager felt guilty and got rid of them. Now, the number of people killed because of booze sold there was 100x the one instance in 20 years with the firearm, but I digress.

That manager retired, a new one came in, and back came the gun cabinets. I asked the sporting good manager, "why are the guns back" and the answer was "a new store manager"... as simple as that... I wish they had powder and primers there, tho....

jonp
01-21-2014, 09:44 AM
In regards to WalMart I remember not too long ago that there was quite a furor over some WalMarts stopping the sale of guns which everyone took to be an anti-gun stance. It turned out that that was not it. It was a standard response to local market conditions, shelf space and items that didn't move fast enough. WalMart is in the business of moving volume and will replace anything that doesn't sell fast enough.

dragon813gt
01-21-2014, 10:04 AM
Maybe you would like to share with others about where to buy all the powder you want?
I check with about a dozen big suppliers and the shelves are bare.

Sure, any LGS in the Philadelphia and surrounding areas that are NW of the city. Powder was hit and
miss until a few months ago. While no one store has everything. You are able to find what you're looking for by making a few calls.

flintlock62
04-30-2014, 08:37 PM
Our local wally used to carry all kinds of powder. I still have some SR-7625 priced at $3.63 a can. Of course, that was a few years ago!