PDA

View Full Version : 7mm pinfire

Battis
01-18-2014, 07:09 PM
I bought a box of 7mm pinfire rounds, then researched them a little, and found reloading kits for that caliber (pricey but interesting). 7mm pinfire revolvers aren't too pricey- I've seen some in good shape over the years without knowing much about them or what they actually fired. Anyone here reload for this caliber?
http://hlebooks.com/pinfire/prices.htm
http://www.bonanza.com/listings/Reloading-Kit-for-7mm-Pinfire-Cartridges/4697052

salpal48
01-26-2014, 05:40 PM
I have Tried for Years to reload pin fires , I have a 12mm short and a 7 mm pocket revolver. It is really a wast of time. The adaptors work be very pricy. At one time Ferocchi made primers and or Caps for pinfires . They replace the cap that the pin Pierces. They came in a small tim of 100. They do not look like regular primers but small Percussion caps with no Ears. they were made of copper or brass. years ago I found a tin with a few left @ a gun show but they were so old they did not work. You will have to check the shows .
Pa shows are good for that type of stuff
Sal

mtnman31
01-28-2014, 09:24 AM
I've got a 9mm pinfire I'm trying to cobble stuff together to reload for as well. It is roughly 9mm; I measured the cylinder and the chambers appear to be slightly tapered. I'm not sure if that was to aid extraction or just a result of inferior manufacturing. Other than a slightly bent front sight, the pistol is in great shape. Many of the pinfire revolvers I see for sale on-line are missing loading gates, ejector rods, sights, etc.

Ultimately, I'd like to make a Lee loader type tool for it. I've seen the kit sold on the web and it is nice but expensive, more than the cost of the revolver. Right now, the sticking point is the brass. I am not sure where to get brass suitable for the cases. These pinfires are perfect for tinkerers and folks who need a project. I am sort of suprised that I don't see more posts about them.

salpal48
01-28-2014, 10:32 AM
If your interested in PInfires . You should call Aaron Newcomer ( Mr Pinfire)
Email Aaron@AaronNewcomer.com
www.FreeMyCollection.com
He writes for the IAA journal
Sal