PDA

View Full Version : Plain-base molds for .480 Ruger?

Naphtali
12-06-2007, 02:16 PM
Please identify plain-base, nose-pour molds satisfactory for Super Redhawk .480 Ruger revolvers, casting a nominal bullet weight between 325 and 380 grains. I intend to load for 1050-1150 ft/sec, regardless of bullet weight.

Single cavity or double cavity molds are what I seek. I anticipate in-production mold [design] will be better value than my attempting to "design" a mold knowing little about the topic.
In terms of quality and durability, what do I look for?
To lubricate and size small quantities of bullets at a time, without using a bench tool, are there choices available other than Meacham T&H's Lubrisizer?

475/480
12-06-2007, 06:45 PM
NO Nose pour,

If you want a standard mould, Ballisti-cast has a good Mehanite,2-4 or 6 cavity .476-360 gr WFN plain base that shoots good at 1100 fps.

Sean

freedom475
12-07-2007, 02:58 AM
The only "in store" .476 boolit moulds I know of are the LEE and RCBS.. I know of none that are "nose pore".

I have a lot of the cheap aluminum LEE 1 and 2 cavs. For the money, and they come with handles, the LEE's are hard to beat. FOR QUALITY I would NOT buy the LEE.

I really like the RCBS 400gr.SWC for my 475linebaugh. It is a little long for my FA(I just trim my brass) but it should work great in you SRH. I have shot this boolit from 600-to over 1400fps with good results. If you buy the RCBS I stongly suggest buying the LEE 6cav handles for it. They take just a LITTLE grinding to get them to fit the rcbs but there 1/2 the price and IMO better than the other handles available.

I would suggest getting a luber/sizer. Since the addition of a rcbs lube-a-matic,casting has become a lot more fun for me.

I hope to never pan-lube another boolit.

Hope this helps

Freedom475

Lloyd Smale
12-07-2007, 06:44 AM
like freedom said the lee 400 and rcbs swc are about the only choises in inexpensive 475 molds but the good news is there both great bullets.

Naphtali
12-07-2007, 01:19 PM
The Ballisticast bullet mold selection appears to be right for me.

A question: Why is nose pour not routinely offered? For accuracy, bullet's base is critical. And nose pouring reduces base irregularity. So long as hollow pointing or other fancy stuff is not wanted, why would not nose pour be an available option?

I haven't chatted with anyone at Ballisticast yet. Would they build their standard mold designs with nose pour?

freedom475
12-07-2007, 10:10 PM
Money talks so I bet Ballisti-cast would build you a nose pore if you want to pay for it.

On loong boolits used for ranges of 500-1200yrds like those used in sharps rifles the nose pore can give better accuracy. But in short fat handgun boolits, especially those with-out GC, that are going to be shot from 10-250yrds I bet that the nose pore would not gain much, if anything at all.

There are a lot of other variables that can hurt accuracy in revolvers. From the way you hold the grip to things like cylinder lock-up and timing to name just a few.

Good shooting:mrgreen::Fire:

Freedom475

Naphtali
12-08-2007, 01:45 PM
Money talks so I bet Ballisti-cast would build you a nose pore if you want to pay for it.

On loong boolits used for ranges of 500-1200yrds like those used in sharps rifles the nose pore can give better accuracy. But in short fat handgun boolits, especially those with-out GC, that are going to be shot from 10-250yrds I bet that the nose pore would not gain much, if anything at all. I was directed to Victory moulds [sic!] web site. While Steve does not have standard 480/475 molds, he did write that his experience was that there is no substantive difference in accuracy between nose pour and base pour bullets.

I guess that's it. The universe of acceptable molds is now vast. Just need to choose one.

44man
12-08-2007, 05:52 PM
There is no difference if you cast right. Get the Lee, it shoots good. The only problem with the lee's is that grease grooves are not wide or deep. It is still a good boolit.

MT Chambers
12-09-2007, 03:07 AM
NEI has some really nice looking molds for the .480, some pb, some gc...just dial up www.neihandtools .com

contender85
12-09-2007, 08:37 PM
Been using the 400 gr Lee for mine, its cheap and it casts great boolits.