PDA

View Full Version : Hardening up LBT Commercial

BossHoss
01-18-2014, 02:51 PM
Hi,

I have some LBT commercial, and it is nice stuff. But, I want it a little harder, almost as hard as Blue Angel.

What can I add to it to stiffen it up, maybe something from one of the vendors here?

I am going to melt it before pouring it in anyways. I was using Blue Angel cut with 25% White label Carnuba Red and it was perfect. This LBT Comm is softer than that mixture.

So, which staple should I cut the LBt with to stiffen it up??? Parafin??

btroj
01-18-2014, 02:54 PM
I would leave it alone. In general the harder the lube the less effective they are.

I'll take soft and messy over hard any day.

Hardcast416taylor
01-18-2014, 04:11 PM
I would think that adding some more beeswax or parafin wax to the lube would stiffen it up.Robert

Old Caster
01-18-2014, 05:32 PM
I am going to have to go with the soft lube also and in general soft lead, both of which have been maligned by writers for at least 60 years now. Both are more forgiving and usually, both are more accurate. If you are willing to give up accuracy and more chance for leading, for hard lube then go for it.

357maximum
01-18-2014, 07:44 PM
Not sure why you would do such a thing, but I would suggest using one of the below...listed in the order I would try it in. My first thought when I read your title on the main page was a combination of REALLY with a dose of ***?

1.beeswax
2.paraffin
3.concrete

fryboy
01-18-2014, 07:50 PM
any of the waxes should stiffen it up , but please keep in mind that i have no idea how any of these will mix with the lbt , depends upon their base stock and additives

carnuba ( in limited quantities ) perhaps adds the most hardening factor but as quantities increase it starts becoming brittle
beeswax adds body as well as a wee bit of tack and perhaps the most flexible of the waxes we use
paraffin also would harden it , worse there are several grades of paraffin and much may depend upon which one you use
best bet is about a stix worth of lbt and weigh it , it's best to start with some even number of weight ( it adds simplicity ) lets say 1 oz . ( most stix vary between 7/8 and 2 oz. ) to that add 1/4 teaspoon of the wax of your choice mix well and test in a lil pan such as a walmart condiment cup and please keep notes , go slow until you have your desired hardness ,
of note to make loading softer lubed boolits easier a few minutes in a fridge helps reduce tack as would a dusting with mica or some such other powder ( altho that also introduces yet another variable )

bhn22
01-18-2014, 08:22 PM
Melt a few blue crayons in it. This will affect it's ability to stick to the bullet, but it will be harder to the touch.

BossHoss
01-19-2014, 11:50 AM
Not sure why you would do such a thing, but I would suggest using one of the below...listed in the order I would try it in. My first thought when I read your title on the main page was a combination of REALLY with a dose of ***?

1.beeswax
2.paraffin
3.concrete

Gumming up the reloading dies is a non-starter. I do not use White label Carnuba Red for this reason alone. Great lube, pretty barrels, ...no one likes the bullets because they make the loading dies a gooey mess. Non-starter.

I found Blue Angel cut with 25% with CR softened up the BA , just right, no sticky, no gooey dies, nothing on the fingers, nothing falls off in the box,,,,..

Bottom line....no gooey reloading dies , happy loaders, repeat buyers.

This LBT is just on the hairy edge of too sticky, that's all.

I know Veral says this lube holds onto rifle bullets at velocity, and remains on them until impact. Great, for some. Me included.

But, the gummed up die customers will look elsewhere.

THanks Fryboy, I will be playing mad scientist later....I doubt I need much...5% to 10% more parafin.

BHN....crayons would get expensive over the long haul.

357maximum
01-19-2014, 11:58 AM
Ok now my feeble brain makes sense of your question...thank you

I guess life is alot simpler when you only have one "customer" to please.

Have you ever played with the microcrystalline waxes???......for pistol use microwax #430 from blendedwaxes.com works great as a stand alone pistol lube...the 10 lb block for $40 would do alot of boolits. You might want to melt it and add some dye though. Them customers that do not like lube in their dies aren't real likely to like clear lube either I guess.