PDA

View Full Version : copper plating vs powder coating RE gas checks

mistermog
01-18-2014, 12:44 PM
Looking for a way to negate gas checks.

Just started getting started with plating and I know it works for some of the leading issues but still need gas checks for faster rifle bullets (223 in an AR etc)

Looking into powder coating and it looks like that's the same deal. Need gas checks for rifle but can push them faster than plated lead?

Long story short looking or something on a lead bullet in 223 from an AR (or 35 Remington but thats slower) for now that negates gas checks and gives decent plinking accuracy.

fcvan
01-18-2014, 03:52 PM
If the mold casts a gas check shank then a check is in order. I tried cu plating on the Lyman 225-415 without a check, and powder coating without a check, and it was not successful. A check on either cu or PC straightened things out. My CheckMaker in 22 is in the works and so I should be grooving soon. I've considered getting a plain based 22 boolit and just powder coating but the little buggers fall over too easy. I might try the dry tumble method of PCd boolits but using the gun, fender washers, and non stick foil works very well for me. I've got 10lbs of PCd boolit waiting for my CheckMaker to get done and another 20lbs that need to be PCd. I've just finished an AR for the wife and I know that my casting for the little boolit will increase dramatically. She's a shooter!

mistermog
01-18-2014, 03:54 PM
Yeah that's what I was afraid of. Im going to give up on the 22 and just get some FMJs for that, all the others I can experiment with as they don't move quite as fast.

fcvan
01-18-2014, 04:08 PM
I hear you on that. I like casting/shooting 5.56 but am building a 300 blk and will likely shoot it more. Sure, the 30 uses more lead but the 30 is easier to fumble with if you have big fingers. I may also just build an AR in 9mm for even cheaper steel banging.