PDA

View Full Version : 1894cl 25-20 redeux pics

james6600
01-18-2014, 10:58 AM
Someone asked for pics so I figured I would start a new thread with some history. The gun was smoke damaged from a house fire about 14 years ago. The rear stock got hot enough to make the butt plate and bulls eye swell and sag, it also had a minor vertical split between the tangs from the factory so I opted to replace it. The receiver and barrel still had liquid oil inside so it didn't absorb much heat. The blueing was damaged from the chemicals in the smoke and it also started minor pitting on parts of the metal. I spent around 50 hours sanding and polishing the metal to remove the pitting without affecting the factory roll stamping. With the gun 95% in the white and disassembled I shipped it to Simmon's for blueing. They finished the job a week ahead of schedule, reassembled the gun and had it on my doorstep in three weeks! On the wood I used Birchwood Casey's walnut stain followed by Tru-Oil, after minor inletting and sanding I pushed the limits of time and applied color and 6 coats of finish in two days. Now I don't recommend doing a finish this fast but I had special circumstances which allowed me to pull it off. All in all I think it turned out pretty good. James

TCLouis
01-18-2014, 12:26 PM
Looks good, great cartridge in my mind.

So, HOW does it shoot?

After all when comes down to it, that is what it is "All About"

james6600
01-18-2014, 01:29 PM
Well I haven't put cast through it but I did pick up a Lyman 257420 mold. But as far as J-words the 60 and 75 grainers did excellent, one was just under 1.25" the other was 1.5" at a 100yd. I only had it a few years before the fire and it quickly became my favorite caliber/gun. At that time all I was hunting was squirrel on public land and this little Marlin fascinated me with it's versatility. I'm looking forward to working up loads and watching this little rifle make most of my other guns obsolete safe queens again.

Pb2au
01-20-2014, 08:42 AM
Looks pretty nice. Nice work!

snaketail
01-20-2014, 09:42 AM
Good project/great results. Nice to bring one "back to life". Thanks for sharing.
M