PDA

View Full Version : Ladder sight for Marlin 1984?

Wheelgun
01-18-2014, 04:02 AM
I'm looking for a ladder sight for my Marlin 1894. I'm looking at the Smith Enterprise sight, but wanting to find out what others are using before I pour that much cash into a sight.
Thanks

FergusonTO35
01-18-2014, 10:46 AM
I assume you mean Marlin 1894? I have an 1894c and like it very much. I've concluded these carbines work best with compact sights mounted on barrel or receiver. Mine wears a Williams 5D rear and narrow bead front. I've also tried factory open sights, scope, and Lyman tang sight and and this is the best sighting system I have found so far.

TheCelt
01-18-2014, 10:58 AM
I have the Smith Enterprises Ladder sight on my Marlin 1895 CB in 45-70. I really like the sight but have found that it is difficult to find the "Sweet Spot" on the friction screw. A little to loose and the slide sight moves on ya. I changed the front sight to match the rear when the sight is folded down @ 100 yds with a pet load and then set and locked the ladder slide sight when folded up for the same load at 300yds. I can extrapolate as required for other ranges. It IS the period correct sight for the rifle and replaced a pretty cheap and flimsy rear sight sent with the rifle. A little pricey in my book but I'm glad I got it.

TheCelt
01-18-2014, 11:51 AM
Bill,

My slider has a small set screw in the side to set tension . When it was loose enough for the slider to move it seemed like it wouldn't stay in place very well. Am I doing something wrong with the adjustments???

Wheelgun
01-18-2014, 11:20 PM
Thanks guys, yeah it was supposed to say 1894. The sight that came on it is ok, but none too stout. I did look at the Williams sights, but I'd like to get as close to authentic as I can. After what you all have said I'm pretty sure I'll go with a Smith Enterprise. Although, I just seen today on brownells website they have Uberti factory sights for thier 1873, and another for the 1866. Has anybody had any experience with 1866 style? Also the website doesnt say what size dovetail the Ubertis use.

sharpsguy
01-19-2014, 12:59 PM
Get the Uberti sight from Brownells. I have one on my 1895 Marlin CB in 45-70, and it is a direct replacement in the barrel dovetail on the Marlin. With one of these and a blade front sight, you can reach WAAAY out there with the lever Marlin. My iron frame Henry 44-40 by Uberti has a ladder sight from the factory and has accounted for several crows at 200 yards, give or take. The Henry is a fun rifle, the Marlin is as serious as a heart attack.

TheCelt
01-19-2014, 01:08 PM
I didn't see any ladder sights on their website Bill. I got mine from Buffalo Arms in Idaho.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/Smith_Enterprise_Sights_it-164014.aspx?MANF=1118

I think that there is supposed to be a spring loaded detent. I'll see if I can get one from Buffalo Arms. Thanks for your response Bill.

TheCelt
01-20-2014, 08:12 AM
It was Jim Martin that designed the Smith Ent. ladder sight. I knew him in Arizona from working on Colt SAA's and CAS. He is the last of the old time Colt gun-smiths listed in COLT SAA REVOLVERS SHOP MANUAL by Jerry Kuhnhausen. I hope they are still making them?

They are still listed on the Buffalo Arms site so I'd figure they are still made. It is a fine sight and is an amazing piece of engineering. Sure wish I lived somewhere that would allow me to test it at longer ranges, I think the ladder will take you out to 800 yards!!!

TheCelt
01-20-2014, 11:24 AM
I run a 405gr about 1400 FPS so I reckon I could probably get right at 800 yards if I had someplace I could shoot that far!!! It'd be fun to shoot at that range for sure!!!

Wheelgun
01-21-2014, 03:43 AM
Sharpsguy - is the Uberti the one for the 1873 clone or the 1866 Yellowboy clone? I had a Uberti 1873, and liked it ok, and the ladder sight was nice, but the Uberti just isn't the gun the Marlin is.

Lead Fred
01-21-2014, 07:36 AM
Have a Smith Ent on the 1895 Marlin & The 1871 Buffalo Classic
Both at gong bangers

Frank46
01-22-2014, 12:23 AM
I don't know who suggested this to me and I'm not taking credit for it but here goes. See if you can find a martini cadet rear barrel mounted sight assembly. They are adjustable for both windage and elevation and excellent quality.
It attaches by both screws and solder. And if memory is correct goes out to 600 yds. besides all that they just look cool. Frank