PDA

View Full Version : Finally got started loading .45-70 BP & Lead. Thanks for the help!

Amanda4461
01-18-2014, 03:15 AM
A big THANK YOU to all Forum members who have pointed me in the right direction. I finally received my last little gift box from BAC, a nice one-stop shopping place. Just loaded 50 rounds with 500gr roundnose seated to where they are imprinted with rifling just a wee bit on loading, 65gr of Swiss FFg, no crimp, with a vegan fibre wad and a COAL of 2.870." I will see what my Winchester 1885 BPCR will do with this tomorrow:grin:
I had a wee bit of trouble when my Lee Autoprime broke attempting to stuff a primer in a new Starline nickel case. After hunting around, I found the large primer holder for my Bonanza Co-Ax and used it to good effect. That is my last autoprime, as I have busted three of them in the same manner, twice with Starline, who makes a tight primer pocket. The Co-Ax worked fine. I have started to enjoy the slower, much slower pace of relaoding for the BP rifles. Keeping records, trying several style of boolits, playing with loading methods, wads, primers and such is far more interesting than just cranking up the big Dillon and loading a thousand .45ACP an hour. I believe I have gotten the illness. Probably why I keep looking at the Shiloh Sharps.
If anyone can tell me where to buy a mount to stick one of my Unertl scopes on the 1885, I would be in your debt. I got hold of Steve Earl one time last week, but can't seem to get him again, either by phone or email.
Thanks!
Amanda

Ramar
01-18-2014, 08:57 AM
Amanda4461, Hope you've got a big bank account; you're about to start emptying it. Pretty soon you might even be one of the "homeless" amongst us.
Ramar

bigted
01-18-2014, 02:31 PM
very cool. i am looking forward to reading your outing with the loads. sounds rite but proof is in the puddin so to speak.

welcome to the forum and glad to have you here. many fun hours i have spent reading and posting here as well as the occasional argument from time to time. there is a bunch of help and advise for just about any question you may think of ... so feel free with them and then stand back for the copious reply's you will get.

Amanda4461
01-18-2014, 09:44 PM
For the most part, the 1885's first range session was a success. Except for having to shoot into the setting sun, that is. I ended up on our West-facing range at 3:30pm, looking right at the sun behind the target frame. Took 5 shots at 50 yards to get the Bulls-eye of a 100-yard Rimfire Bulls-eye target, using the tang sight. Now I know why folks buy a Hoke or a Baldwin. After I had a zero with the 513gr roundnose loaded to touch the rifling, I tried some 405gr and some GC 400gr. While being easier on the shoulder, they did not group better than the 513gr hard cast. I don't need to look for a scope rail any more, since Steve Earle surprised me with one after I returned from the range:drinks:. I called to thank him, and learned he did the rails in his "part-time" job at the shop. Now I know why he is hard to get in touch with. The rail is fabulous, and fits perfect. Mr. Unertl will help me with the long-range stuff Sunday and Monday, so I won't have any excuses. The rifle grouped well at 50 yards, considering the sunlight was blinding me. I shot 25 rounds without any issues other than rear sight sloppiness. I stopped and cleaned the breech after 15 rounds, but the rounds were still grouping well. I'll get back into bullet casting after a 30 year lay-off from it, since I have the time now. Nice enjoyable day, and the slower pace doesn't hurt either.
Amanda

kokomokid
01-19-2014, 10:56 AM
When you get good at shooting into the sun go to the Texas state match near Mexia and you will have the advantage. LB