PDA

View Full Version : .357mag Handi Rifle load...

shoot-n-lead
01-18-2014, 02:59 AM
Do any of you guys that have the 357mag Handi Rifles load them to Maxi load capacity by seating the bullet out, to take advantage of the SAAMI chambers?

Do you use cast bullets?

If so, which bullets have you used and what were the results.

I am contemplating getting the 357 Handi Rifle and was thinking that this would just be another arrow in the quiver of an already very practical little rifle.

Thanks

cbrick
01-18-2014, 09:08 AM
The Handi rifle would probably handle the pressure ok but I don't know about the brass, there is a significant difference in pressures between the mag and the Maxi. Do they make the Handi in 357 Maximum? That could be a better way to go.

Using the mag chamber you could make brass from 357 Max brass or DW 360 brass trimming to fit the mag chamber in the Handi, it would give you a safety margin with the brass. I've done this with 41 mag using 414 Super mag brass and 357 mag using DW 360 brass, both in Freedom Arms revolvers.

Which boolit to use would depend on what you plan on shooting, hunting? A great place to start would be the RCBS 35 200. I get great accuracy with that boolit in every 35 bore I've put it through, revolvers and rifles.

Rick

curator
01-18-2014, 09:56 AM
I don't push to Maxi load data but do seat boolits out and using a "chrony" increase powder charges (mostly Alliant 2400) to work up accurate and powerful loads. My boolit of choice is either the 210 grain Lyman SWC-GC, or the LBT 180-LFN-GC. I easily get 1200-1400 fps with either and excellent accuracy out to 100 yards--which is the longest range I have to shoot these days. Seating slugs to "factory" COAL results in lousy accuracy anyway with the Handi's long chamber/throats.

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-18-2014, 12:09 PM
Most 357 handi's will chamber 360DW brass without modification
consider it a mini-maxi :D
follow this link to someone who has already blazed the trail for us:
http://www.metalsmithpro.com/357MagnumRifle.htm

mdi
01-18-2014, 01:43 PM
A "rechamber" from 357 Magnum to 357 Maximum is fairly common for Handi Rifle owners. Check this forum for a lot of Handi Rifle info...http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/hr-centerfire-rifles/

shoot-n-lead
01-18-2014, 04:02 PM
Thanks guys.

In looking around, I found this on Mike Bellms (of T/C barrel fame) and it is an interesting read regarding the .357MAGnum.

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=658

His testing has shown that the brass will take the revolver Maxi loads without separation issues.

I am going to get the rifle, back off a little on the load and just give it a try until I can find some 360DW brass.

mdi
01-19-2014, 01:12 PM
No offence intended, but if you want "more power" go with a more powerful cartridge. You mention loading up a .357 Magnum to 357 Maximum velocities, stretching the Magnum to get equivalent "power" of the Maximum. Handi rifles are made in many more powerful calibers. I have one with a 30-30 barrel and a .223 barrel. They are also available in .44 Magnum and .500 S&W Magnum not to mention the rifle calibers (7mm-08, 308, 45-70, etc.). I would suggest, if you really want a .357 Magnum, stick with .357 Magnum loads, if you want more power, get a 500 S&W. Later, when you have more reloading experience, you will know what to look for as far as "too much power"...

shoot-n-lead
01-19-2014, 02:06 PM
No offense taken, but the mention of loading the mag to near max power was only looking at having another option with the 357 barrel. It was not to "stretch" the power of the mag. The barrel will be used primarily for 357mag power as it will provide as much "power" as will likely be needed for the majority of the use of the rifle. Also, as mentioned by a previous poster, the chamber length of the Handi makes it likely that the best accuracy will come by seating the bullets out, so the only thing that would be done differently is an increase in the powder charge.

As to more experience reloading, I am 53 years old, started reloading nearly 30 yrs ago and have loaded primarily for bigbore handguns...but not so much for the 357. I have been reloading bigbore ammo for the Blackhawk, Uberti, T/C Contender, Redhawk, 29 and 629 and I also have experience with my .221 Fireball, .223 and 7BR XP100's that have needed feeding. However, I have only recently started to give the 357 some time and I have learned that it is actually much more versatile than I have thought for all of these years. I have learned that from 125gr thru 180gr in handguns, that the 357 is a blast to shoot and it performs beyond my expectations for it. This rifle is just another foray into the CARTRIDGE, not so much a pursuit of power, but to be familiar with the options and potential of the 357. I am not an expert and make no claim to be, but I like to try different things and I think that is the essence of casting and reloading..or at least that is why I cast and reload.

mdi
01-20-2014, 05:42 PM
No offense taken, but the mention of loading the mag to near max power was only looking at having another option with the 357 barrel. It was not to "stretch" the power of the mag. The barrel will be used primarily for 357mag power as it will provide as much "power" as will likely be needed for the majority of the use of the rifle. Also, as mentioned by a previous poster, the chamber length of the Handi makes it likely that the best accuracy will come by seating the bullets out, so the only thing that would be done differently is an increase in the powder charge.

As to more experience reloading, I am 53 years old, started reloading nearly 30 yrs ago and have loaded primarily for bigbore handguns...but not so much for the 357. I have been reloading bigbore ammo for the Blackhawk, Uberti, T/C Contender, Redhawk, 29 and 629 and I also have experience with my .221 Fireball, .223 and 7BR XP100's that have needed feeding. However, I have only recently started to give the 357 some time and I have learned that it is actually much more versatile than I have thought for all of these years. I have learned that from 125gr thru 180gr in handguns, that the 357 is a blast to shoot and it performs beyond my expectations for it. This rifle is just another foray into the CARTRIDGE, not so much a pursuit of power, but to be familiar with the options and potential of the 357. I am not an expert and make no claim to be, but I like to try different things and I think that is the essence of casting and reloading..or at least that is why I cast and reload.

My apologies, just that the original post sounded like a new reloader's looking for an excuse to "over load" a .357 Magnum. I too, have been reloading for quite a while and I have found the principles are the same for any straight sided cartridge; .38 Spec., 357 Mag., .44 Special, .44 Mag., and use the same common sense with each caliber I reload (I guess I can say the same about semi-auto calibers; .380, 9mm, and 45 ACP)...