PDA

View Full Version : Lee die for reforming ?? 280 AI

Harter66
01-18-2014, 02:55 AM
1st off this is the the 2nd ''radical'' reforming job.......or 4th maybe more. I really never thought that a 280AI from 30-06 would be a radical reform but I guess I was mistaken.

Lee states for the 280AI die set that it is for the ''original'' AI not the SAAMI AI , ok that's cool mine is at least 15yr old or 30 so its likely to be the wildcat. It is also likely to be slightly different from every other 1 on the planet. This die set is just way way off from my fire formed case which was a Unique/COW/wax 30-06 w/a lubed neck and the bolt closed the bolt also closed firmly on a 270 Win the Lee fl sizing die looks to be cut base to shoulder about .088 too deep. To me that's great for neck sizing but sooner or later I'll have to set the shoulder back. Is it possible that I got a die set that is marked 7mm Express cut for 7mm Rem Mag and packaged as 280AI ? (or some other odd combination all 3 dies are marked 7mm Express, sizer, seater and FCD. Or is the shoulder moved forward for this 1,effectively giving it nearly the same capacity as the 7mm Rem Mag ?

It is my understanding that Ackley mostly improved standards by removing body taper and altering the shoulder angle so that any Joe could buy a die set and a box or 2 of factories shoot the factories to fire form to the chamber and off we go. This rifle fits that but the dies not so much. I cringe at the idea that I might have ''that 1 that has to have a case sent off to make a sizer'' rifle.

reed1911
01-18-2014, 05:17 PM
Well, to be honest you said it all with one word, Lee. They make okay straight wall dies, the FCD is great, anything else made by them is ****.

bhn22
01-18-2014, 08:16 PM
Did you research the difference between the two chambers? Which do you have? It sounds like it's time for you to do a chamber cast.
http://gunsmithtalk.wordpress.com/2010/01/13/280-ackley-improved-alert/

Harter66
01-19-2014, 06:42 PM
Well I could tell the whole story that I've pieced together as to the DWM Berlin 1916 Gew98 that this is in and how it was it was probably a 7x65 Brenkke before it was recut for the longnecked 280 AI w/a total chamber length of 2.50 and a shoulder dia of .460 and .330 neck od.Head to neck looks to be 2.175 while the shoulder starts at 2.100 +-.002.
Now comparing all the numbers they don't seem to add up 100% I supose its also possible that this could have been a 280 RCBS but the live diminsions are soclose to the Ackley that ....... a wildcat is not a standardized anything.

On more intresting note applied cast shooting knowledge applied resulted in getting to pressures high enough to ''ironout'' the neck bulge still nothing on paper due to elevation adjustments but based on Impact points it should be a decent shooter w/o to much fussiness and rival anything in the safe for long range.

Harter66
01-19-2014, 08:46 PM
So after taking all the measurements and revisiting that algebra/geometry I'd never need,I come to having a 30 degree shoulder which might be a 280 RCBS rather than an AI. Which still doesn't explain why the die misses the bottom .08 of the neck if both shoulders are in the sameplace (live measure vs AI drawing.).