PDA

View Full Version : Are '94 stocks & forends adaptable to '92s?

Old School Big Bore
01-17-2014, 11:13 AM
Sorry to post this if it's been discussed but I didn't see it anywhere. My B92's buttstock was butchered before I got it (metal plate removed, stock sawn flat, top recess poorly filled with ugly wood chip, pad installed) and I'd like to replace it with the RamLine synthetic. I've heard that the '94 buttstock will work on a '92 with some internal tweaking for the different lockwork config, but was unsure about the receiver end of the forend. I contacted Champion asking to speak with a tech so I could ask about that but they gave me a salesman who could only read me the ad copy. I was only able to confirm that the front of the forend is designed for barrel-band carbines and not for the rifle-type metal cap. Has anyone adapted this stock & forend to a '92? If the material Ramline is using for this unit is fiberglas-friendly I can make it fit up to the receiver, but is the C-to-C dimension between the magazine and the barrel different between '92s and '94s? Any info appreciated.

"Whoever said 'It's too easy to cast perfect boolits to ever accept an imperfect one' never tried using my Lee 44-210-SWC-HP."
Me...

flydoc
01-17-2014, 07:03 PM
I'm sure pre-64 '94 and '92 stocks are the same in Winchesters. I checked on the Macon Stocks site and they are listed together as 92/94 stocks. If yours is a browning or later copy from someone else, that may be another matter. Forends are usually not interchangeable as the barrel bands tend to be at different locations and lengths vary, and the barrel/magazine channel might be different. The forends are not that difficult to make if you have some woodworking skills and some basic tools. Have seen no synthetic replacements listed for 92s, only 94s, but if the seller states they will fit a pre-64, then it should work. 94 stocks are plentiful.Maybe someone knows about forends. Sounds like you could easily just replace the stock,unless the forend was boogered up as well..

6.5 mike
01-17-2014, 08:07 PM
Gun stocks Inc. has replacement wood for '92's & pre 64 94's ( same wood). Nice folks to work with.

Old School Big Bore
01-20-2014, 01:18 PM
Thanks, guys, I forgot to mention that I want to go synthetic on this gun - it will let me park my issue M4 and go 'old school reborn-' as my mid-range/entry gun, with the same ammo as my revolver...yes, revolver. Already benched my 1911 for my M29 (not quite willing to go single action revo yet although I can clean our qual course with one) and looking to retire my 870 for a '97 or s/s coach gun, and my bolt 308 for a Sharps, Hi-Wall or Rolling Block. I'm working on a rough-duty aperture sight mount for the '92. Tired of bending/breaking Lymans/Redfields. Anyway I think I'll risk ordering the Ramline - if the forend is just too different I can always sell it to someone with a '94.

Old School Big Bore
02-23-2014, 12:33 PM
Bump - anyone know of a synthetic furniture set that will fit a '92? The black ones on the aftermarket hot-rod Rossis are overmolded or painted wood...