PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Remlin 336 info

james6600
01-17-2014, 09:05 AM
I am thinking of getting a 336c in 35Rem and a 1895GBL laminated large loop in 45-70. Does anyone have experience or seen one of these in the last couple months? My LGS has a new 30-30 on the shelf that I have inspected and it has no problems that I can't tune out but it has a black coating on the metal instead of blueing and it's Micro-groove. Is this the finish on the two rifles I'm inquiring about because I want blued. My second question is do they have ballard or Micro-Groove barrels. Thanks, James

Keyston44
01-17-2014, 10:43 AM
They are still using Micro-groove barrels on the 336 guns. Of course this shouldn't be an issue if your bullet fits your barrel. As far as the bluing, that is what you get now.

Key

singleshot
01-17-2014, 10:46 AM
I have a 35 rem 336 with micro-groove. It's an OUTSTANDING cast boolit launcher. There is NO issue with microgroove barrels as long as you put a wee larger boolit in them. I feed my 35 Rem with .360" boolits.

singleshot
01-17-2014, 10:48 AM
Oh, I should add that if you're shootin' J-words, there is no discernible difference between Ballard and MG rifling.

robertbank
01-17-2014, 10:52 AM
I have a recent 336 in 30-30 and as you noted, fit and finish is good. Mine shoots cast as well as I can shoot using the 311041 Lyman boolit. I am sure yours will be fine too.

Take Care

Bob

seaboltm
01-17-2014, 11:01 AM
I have a new 1895. It is blued. Fit and finish is so-so. Function is fine as is accuracy. Of course bluing a gun isn't hard to do if you wanted to ditch the black spray on finish.

james6600
01-17-2014, 11:50 AM
Keyston44, if I understand you right all the Marlins have the thick mat black finish and none are blued any more? I can live with the finish I just want to under stand what I'm getting before I order as Remington has never updated Marlin's web site. If the Micro-Groove is shooting lead good I'll go with it as the early 50's ballard guns are costing more than new ones and they're not drilled and tapped for a scope. It's probably wishful thinking but I hope they start releasing the pistol and the hyphen calibers again but I doubt they will sell good without being blued. I hope Marlins parent company realizes there is a market for properly finished guns in these calibers even if there was a price jump of 20% over what they are selling now. I'm glad they have the lines they have now as there is a need for the cost effective utilitarian Marlin's and those guns created the following they have today. But the old Marlin understood we grow up and become more financially stable and want a finely crafted nostalgic piece and that's why the limited runs moved off the shelves so good. I'm glad to see they are working through the growing pains I just hope they don't give up as they are just starting to ship properly working guns again.

singleshot
01-17-2014, 11:56 AM
James6600, I don't think this will scratch your scope itch, but Miraku is making a Winchester lever-gun that meets your quality and finish criteria, beautiful pieces, and the actions feel like they're built with roller bearings. They are making it in 38-55 as well.