PDA

View Full Version : Rossi 243 Break Action

TCLouis
01-16-2014, 09:25 PM
Lady that cuts my hair has one of these and encountered two problems. First year she had it, it failed to fire and she lost a season to Rossi's speedy repair system.

Several years of success and this year she takes her son last day of season, proverbial nice buck steps out, he cocks the hammer, pulls the trigger, hammer falls and firing pin does not even dent the primer.

She calls Rossi waits 40 minutes for someone to answer (they warn you that the wait may be over an hour to actually talk to a person), nope not covered, out of warranty, send in the gun with 45 bucks to review what is wrong and then repairs will be what they are above that.

She remembers that they replaced a spring the in the firing pin last time and "something else".

Is this a common Rossi problem, is there a simple or even complex repair.

Is the Rossi like the Contender and the locking bolts set something in the action to allow complete fall of the hammer?

If ya gots a solution, please let me know.

Thanx
Louis

TCLouis
01-17-2014, 09:59 PM
Surely someone has some/an idea/suggestion.

DLCTEX
01-19-2014, 10:28 PM
Does this one have a hammer block that prevents the hammer striking the firing pin until the trigger is moved far enough? If so, removing a small amount of material to allow clearing the block by the hammer may be in order.

TCLouis
01-20-2014, 10:47 PM
I need to actually get my hands on it and see what the deal is.

Without a doubt it has one of the locks. Interesting that they replaced firing pin and firing pin spring the first go round.

DLCTEX
01-21-2014, 01:01 AM
I need to get my Rossi 223 break action out of the safe to check, but I think it has the blocking bar. If that is the problem you can test by pulling the trigger fully to the rear to see if the firing pin protrudes far enough to strike the primer adequately. If the trigger is squeezed slowly the bar may not be clearing the hammer.