PDA

View Full Version : Powder for least flash in 45acp

69daytona
01-16-2014, 09:14 PM
I'm looking for a powder that will give the least amount of muzzle flash at night, anyone have any experience with this?

It's mostly for my carry gun for dark practice.

bhn22
01-16-2014, 09:29 PM
Ramshot Silhouette. Good luck finding it.

TMenezes
01-18-2014, 05:03 PM
Accurate is big on flash suppressed powders, I would try AA#2 for light powder puff loads and AA#5 for full power loads. I used to use AA#7 for max loads but never shot it at night so don't know. #7 is slower than #5 and I assume would flash slightly more as its a slower burner it would flash a bit more, but again, never shot it at night so not sure. Stay away from Blue Dot if flash is an issue.

By the way, I have been shooting night qualifications for 10 years and never really noticed much flash with my ammo (cheap 9mm Fiocci) in the academy or now with duty ammo (Federal Hydrashocks). I don't shoot my reloads at night, but I do shoot till about dusk and in semi dim indoor ranges and found flash to be a non issue.

Biggest flash I have seen was H110 44 mags a guy was shooting at said indoor range. The flash didn't seem to be bothering him guessing by the huge grin on his face. But I suppose it may have been annoying if I was in the stalls immediately to his left or right. It was the tremendous muzzle blast that really seemed to be getting everyone's aattention lol.

singleshot
01-18-2014, 05:10 PM
The fastest 45 acp loads in terms of powder rel burn rate is where you want to look. I've had good results with Red Dot, Titegroup, Trailboss, etc. Slower powders like HS-6 have decent muzzle flash and 2400 is downright spectacular. Strangely, I haven't noticed much muzzle flash from IMR 800X, but I'm not sure I've shot it at night.

TMenezes
01-18-2014, 05:30 PM
The fastest 45 acp loads in terms of powder rel burn rate is where you want to look. I've had good results with Red Dot, Titegroup, Trailboss, etc. Slower powders like HS-6 have decent muzzle flash and 2400 is downright spectacular. Strangely, I haven't noticed much muzzle flash from IMR 800X, but I'm not sure I've shot it at night.

Good point, maybe thats why I never really notice the flash. My light range loads are light charges of IMR 700X which is a very fast (and in my experience, clean) powder. I do see some flash with Blue Dot though, bet in full dark it would be pretty intense.

telebasher
01-18-2014, 06:27 PM
Accurate is big on flash suppressed powders, I would try AA#2 for light powder puff loads and AA#5 for full power loads. I used to use AA#7 for max loads but never shot it at night so don't know. #7 is slower than #5 and I assume would flash slightly more as its a slower burner it would flash a bit more, but again, never shot it at night so not sure. Stay away from Blue Dot if flash is an issue.

By the way, I have been shooting night qualifications for 10 years and never really noticed much flash with my ammo (cheap 9mm Fiocci) in the academy or now with duty ammo (Federal Hydrashocks). I don't shoot my reloads at night, but I do shoot till about dusk and in semi dim indoor ranges and found flash to be a non issue.

Biggest flash I have seen was H110 44 mags a guy was shooting at said indoor range. The flash didn't seem to be bothering him guessing by the huge grin on his face. But I suppose it may have been annoying if I was in the stalls immediately to his left or right. It was the tremendous muzzle blast that really seemed to be getting everyone's aattention lol.

The 44 is a wimp in the flash/bang department compared to a Ruger BLK in 30 carbine with fullhouse H-110 loads. If you have never seen/heard one up close, nothing else I know of comes close. Been there, done that and don't want any more. LOL!

OKSaddletramp
01-18-2014, 09:16 PM
Have never had anyone comment on the muzzle flash from my Ruger SBH, but one year at the range when I was sighting in an new load (220g Sierra FP, 25g H110), the shooter next to me complained about the shock wave slapping him in the face.

As for the OP, Bullseye has never had an issue of muzzle flash for me in my 1911. That's the major reason I switched from Unique (aside from the cleanup issue, of course).

Saddle[smilie=2:

rogerreloader
01-18-2014, 11:32 PM
Try 3.9gr of hodgdon clays behind a 230 lead or plated bullet. Been using that for years in a kimber eclipse 45.

MBTcustom
01-19-2014, 01:13 AM
Try 3.9gr of hodgdon clays behind a 230 lead or plated bullet. Been using that for years in a kimber eclipse 45.

There is no telling how much lead I have sent down range with that very load! Very snappy, and that is the way to milk a pound of powder!

Catshooter
01-19-2014, 01:21 AM
Universal Clays is a flash suppressed powder.

Cat

Shiloh
01-23-2014, 05:15 PM
Dusk doesn't count as night, but the time I tried AA#7 with 230 gr. hardball. it was a dull flash. Nothing brilliant or spectacular.
I thought AA #7 was a bit slow and prefer AA #5 for the hard ball loads. Been shooting just lead though for years now.

Shiloh

geargnasher
01-24-2014, 03:39 PM
Power Pistol will also leave a spectacular trail of fire in .45 ACP. I'm not sure Clays makes any light at all, though. Not the best for 230-grain boolits, but fine if not loaded near the top.

Gear

DrCaveman
01-28-2014, 11:46 PM
Ramshot competition seems to not flash too bad
About 4 gr behind a 230 has gotten me good results

Just dont buy it ALL, id like to still get a few more pounds

rexherring
01-30-2014, 07:11 PM
I like the AA #2 or #5 for my .45, I believe it also has a flash suppressant added. Even if it doesn't it seems to be less than even my Bullseye loads.

sargenv
02-03-2014, 04:51 PM
I had really good luck with Herco this weekend.. 5.8 gr with 190 JHP in a 5" Para P16 (40 S&W). I shot a night match at my club and never saw any flash.. when I tested it last week at night, the flame from the gun was a dark orange, it came about 6" from the barrel and was less than the diam of a soda can.. It impressed me so much I'll be using Herco for night shoots from now on.