PDA

View Full Version : using zinc for shot???????

sandman228
01-16-2014, 01:54 PM
im thinking of buying a shot maker from e bay . ive been doing a little research and seeing people saying 50-50 wheel weight/pure lead alloy is pretty much the way to go . I have some zinc wheel weights here that were sorted from my last time I smelted wheel weights I was wondering if anyone ever tried a zinc alloy mix for shot making ? I figured if I could use them rather than give away or scrap them I would .

Rottweiler
01-22-2014, 08:21 AM
Trade those zinc wheel weights to ShadyGrady (a member here) He trades them up even pound for pound for lead.

375RUGER
01-22-2014, 09:25 AM
zinc is 2/3 the weight of lead. I wouldn't make shot out of pure zinc. I would add a little to 50/50, a little bit won't hurt unless you get shot with your own shot.

smkummer
01-22-2014, 10:04 AM
I don't think you could get zink to melt out of the 2 shotmakers I have used. I currently have the 2 nozzle discontinued Shannon shotmaster that I run with the temp at 4 out of 5 on the setting. The Littleton with 7 nozzles barely has enough power with the 110 Volt to keep the shot flowing and it better be at least 60 degrees in the garage or they don't flow well. Once you plug up your drippers with Zink, you will develop new swear words.

Littleton Shot Maker
02-03-2014, 03:00 AM
Sandman, NO.
Zinc will not work well in the Littleton's. The unit will have to be driven way up in temp. Not stock settings.
Zinc sticks like the dickens, so the aluminum tray and the zinc don't play well together. Nor do the dripper metal work, they just get plugged up.

NOW I have made, am will make again a stainless steel tray with ss droppers for a guy that did want to use it for zinc!! Needs a hotter heating element, (220-240vac - 1600 -1800 watts) 120 volt won;t make it. And you really should have a temp control switch, and thermal couple to make that happen , well-- easier....