PDA

View Full Version : Help with #4 Buck load

PA Hillbilly
01-16-2014, 01:27 PM
Hi, I'm new to the forum & to shotgun reloading. I have reloaded pistol & rifle shells, but never attempted shotgun shells. I am looking for a good load for hunting coyotes. I have a lot of 3" Winchester Supreme hulls & would like to use them. I also have a mold for making #4 buckshot. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jmort
01-16-2014, 01:36 PM
If those are tapered hulls, get a wad that is made for the Winchester hull.

Here is some useful information:

"Winchester....Here's the problem child, NO matter what it says on the outside of Winchester hulls, ALWAYS check the basewads. I have bags of 3" and 3.5" Winchester hulls that are seperated out by basewad type and they all say something different on the outside of the hull. I have Experts with very high basewads, and very low basewads,same goes for Supremes, Super X, Upland and anything else that says Winchester on it. Then the older Winchester hulls also have paper basewads on them and many of use also have the Compression formed 3" hulls..NEVER,NEVER use Compression formed hulls with plastic basewad data..Compression formed hulls will be just like the older AA hulls and use different data as they are taper wall hulls.
Most of the time the steel shot reloading data we have is for the low plastic basewad Winchester hulls, with the high plastic, paper basewad or compression formed hulls you can't even get the recipes to fit in some hulls.
The Winchester hulls make some excellent reloads, you just have to segregate them out. If you want to load up steel shot loads then always use the lower plastic basewad hulls. I have made some up using the high plastic basewad and compression formed hulls but you have to use different wads and lower the amount of powder you use."

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=175074