PDA

View Full Version : Getting started?!

Mechanicalmayham
01-16-2014, 12:23 PM
I am fairly new to casting boolits but not working with lead. I recently started casting cartridge boolits to some success but my friend is now going to join in. He has cast but mainly round ball for muzzleloaders. Together we are intending to cast 38s and 45acps as we both have these and shoot them just about every time we go out. I have large quantities of pure lead and ww as well as some 50/50 gutter solder and soldered chucks of flashing and shower pans. We are considering investing in a luber/sizer and I just made some Ben's Red lube. (I would like some green and blue but its not important. Wanted to use the lube color to distinguish bullet weights for same calibers.)
*Do you fine folks have any suggestions for us as we begin?
*I am wondering what recipes there are for ww and soldered lead? I realized zinc is bad but I do not know what the 50/50 bars are made of.
*As far as lube/sizing, are there dies that go into it to determine the size of the boolit?
*Do you think it premature to make Ben's?

R.M.
01-16-2014, 01:02 PM
As far as different colored lubes go, you'd want a different press for each one. Emptying one color for another would get old real fast.
The 38 and 45 are about the easiest to cast for. Good choice. Yes, a sizing press will take numerous dies, depending on the size you want/need.
Ben's Red is a great lube. That's all I use.

mold maker
01-16-2014, 01:15 PM
I am fairly new to casting boolits but not working with lead. I recently started casting cartridge boolits to some success but my friend is now going to join in. He has cast but mainly round ball for muzzleloaders. Together we are intending to cast 38s and 45acps as we both have these and shoot them just about every time we go out. I have large quantities of pure lead and ww as well as some 50/50 gutter solder and soldered chucks of flashing and shower pans. We are considering investing in a luber/sizer and I just made some Ben's Red lube. (I would like some green and blue but its not important. Wanted to use the lube color to distinguish bullet weights for same calibers.)
*Do you fine folks have any suggestions for us as we begin?
*I am wondering what recipes there are for ww and soldered lead? I realized zinc is bad but I do not know what the 50/50 bars are made of.
*As far as lube/sizing, are there dies that go into it to determine the size of the boolit?
*Do you think it premature to make Ben's?

Your initial requirements are modest. Both 38, and 45 (ACP ?) are low pressure and lower speed rounds that aren't demanding of hard lead or special lube. While a lube sizer is an excellent tool, it involves a much bigger investment than a LEE push through sizer for each caliber and pan or tumble lubing. The lube sizer also requires dies for each cal/size.
Depending on the as cast size, and your chamber dimensions, you may not need to size. The alloy you cast with will also effect the as cast size. Neither 38 or 45 need to be harder than Wheel weights, and the WW lead can be cut with your soft lead at about 50/50. The tin from solder at about 1-2% will make for the casting of better filled out boolits
It is up to each individual as to how much they intend to shoot, and or spend on equipment.
Starting out simple, and getting the basics down pat first, will show what you need/want to add as far as equipment.
If you add higher pressure/velocity rounds to your arsenal the requirement will change, but can be done one step at a time, and what I've suggested is a modest investment that can be traded or sold.
As far as the Bens red, there are quite a few recipes for excellent lube made from commonly available materials. Your stated use is for simple lubes, and the LEE size dies come with an excellent and simple to use lube that can/should be cut 50/50 with mineral spirits, and last you for a Looooong time. This demand too will change with increased pressure/velocity rounds.
You've come to the right place to make use the combined knowledge of over 30,000 casters. It's like opening a huge case of encyclopedias, on the subject. All you have to do is ask and we'll gladly attempt to keep you safe and realize the most enjoyment/potential from the hobby.
Expect others to add to my post, with different opinions. After all none of us do everything exactly alike, but you will find a common thread that fills your desires.

white eagle
01-16-2014, 01:33 PM
making lube is never a bad thing to do you will end up using it sooner or later
as with Mold maker a Lee push through sizer is relatively inexpensive and you also get lube with the purchase
sounds as though you have enough lead for boolits and casting
make sure before you buy a sizing die(s) that you slug the bore and size to that there are stickies on that as well
enjoy and have fun