PDA

View Full Version : Whoooee!!! Trinidad scorpion sause

rockrat
01-15-2014, 08:52 PM
Had some tacos for dinner tonight. Like the Tabasco Habanero sauce on them. Have some Ghost pepper sauce too, but its just a bit too hot for the tacos.

Picked up some of the Trinidad Scorpion sauce at the cullinary store down in Ouray. Thought I would try it on a taco tonight. Put some on, not alot and took a bite. Thinking not too bad, quickly finished the taco (bout 3 bites for me). Sat there going, hmmm, not to fond of the flavor, but its getting hot on the tongue. Well, it kept on getting hotter and hotter. That stuff has a delayed reaction. Lordy, my tongue was on fire and water didn't help!!!! Finally got the sugar shaker (sugar in a salt shaker) and shook some on the tongue, took the worst away and then it was only just hot(habanero heat)!! Guess I will have to use it in my chili now!!:bigsmyl2:

Loved stuff like that when I was younger!!!!

Riverpigusmc
01-15-2014, 10:14 PM
Love hot peppers. Found out the qualities of peanut butter putting out the fire when I bit into a pepper in the Philippines..only thing I had was c rat peanut butter

brtelec
01-15-2014, 10:30 PM
If you are fond of hot sauces check out Blair's Death Sauces. His 2am and 3am extracts are great, super hot though. His regular sauces run from hot to insane. Great flavors though.

http://extremefood.com/Death-Sauce/

xacex
01-15-2014, 11:22 PM
I have some Devils blood here, along with Da Bomb final answer which is nice and smokey. Da bomb is somewhere around 325K S.U., and the Devils blood is over 800K. Some good hot stuff that doesn't taste chemically like some extracts can. If you want the holy grail of hot look up "the source" sauce. 7,000,000 S.U. and it will put some in the hospital if you are not careful. Its not cheap, but if you want the hot of the hot that's the one.

Most of these real hot sauces or extracts are not for direct use, and work well for chili or tamale meat. Just a drop will give you some heat and flavor in a pot of chili. Try using a toothpick with the sauce, and drag that across your taco. Trust me if you are used to tabasco this is a new ball game.

rockrat
01-16-2014, 12:47 AM
I think the scorpion is 2,000,000 SU. Think I will stick with 1,000,000 or less!!!

Thanks for the tip about peanut butter.

MaryB
01-16-2014, 02:13 AM
water makes the heat from capsacin worse, milk or bread will put the fire out.

w5pv
01-16-2014, 07:58 AM
I like spicy food but I don't have to prove how hot I can eat it.If it gets too hot I put it aside.

rockrat
01-16-2014, 11:35 AM
Unfortunately, I have to push the limit on how much heat I can stand. I found it. Will save it to heat my pots of chili up, but straight, on food, nope.

frankenfab
01-16-2014, 03:31 PM
water makes the heat from capsacin worse, milk or bread will put the fire out.

I find chocolate to help, as well.

xacex
01-17-2014, 05:27 PM
Icecream! Not that cheap stuff. You will find your tolerance going up after a while. I have to be careful when I make chili. What tastes just right to me would put some people in agonizing pain for a half hour after a bite.

I stay away from "the source." No need for it in the house, but it could be weaponized easy. Think what one drop in a water balloon would do, or an ounce on some tannerite. It would make an area uninhabitable for days.

I agree, anything above 1,000,000 S.U. is insane. The devils blood at 800,000 is enough for me right now.

Spawn-Inc
01-17-2014, 05:47 PM
i believe the hottest i've had is blairs ultra death sauce or a ghost pepper sauce i got from a burrito place.

2% milk or cream works best for me for temporary heat removal.

MaryB
01-17-2014, 10:53 PM
as I get older I go for flavor over pure heat. I even make my own chili powder by grinding 12 different chili's into powder.

Shiloh
01-18-2014, 11:04 AM
Heat is fine unless it totally bakes your mouth. Then you can't taste anything. I like it "Kicked up a notch" only. I have several hot sauces that a dash in a batch of chile goes a Long way.

SHiloh

Love Life
01-19-2014, 12:23 AM
Honey works wonders for killing heat.

Sweetpea
01-19-2014, 12:27 AM
Pour in some Salt or Sugar...

Confuses the taste buds, and takes the heat away.

rockrat
01-20-2014, 01:18 AM
Read somewhere that sugars bind to the receptors on the tongue that the molecules from the hot sauce bind to, giving the impression of hot. With the receptors already being used, or at least many of them, it lessens the sensation of hot.

Don't like heat, just for the sensation of heat, it also has to have a good flavor. I like the slightly fruity flavor of Scotch Bonnet peppers, along with the heat.

fourarmed
01-22-2014, 03:58 PM
I don't mind hot, but most of the other cohabitants of my life are not real chili heads, so I have to be nice. For kicking it up a notch at the table, I keep ground habanero powder in a half-pint jar in the fridge. Pretty easy to make it about as hot as you like. I prefer that to most liquid sauces. I have made some pretty piquant BBQ sauce from smoked serranos.

gbrown
01-22-2014, 08:02 PM
About a year and a half ago I had a thread here titled "Who likes it hot?", as I remember. Quite a few members indicated they did. Me, I like it hot. I like the "excitement" hot pepper gives to my taste buds. As a child at the table, some of my first memories were the pint jar of pickled chile pequins in the center. By the time I was 12, I was definitely hooked. I'll have to find some of this Trinidad Sauce and give it a try. One of the hottest dishes I ever ate was the Cajun Sauce Piquante made with like 5 or 8 different peppers. Face turns beet red, sweat, tears, mouth on fire--Lordy that was some good eatin'.

DougGuy
02-01-2014, 02:24 PM
Hmmm Trinidad Scorpion, about 1.2-1.4m Scoville. Trinidad Moruga Scorpion up to 2m Scoville. I grew Red Caribbean and Trinidad Butch T Scorpions last year and had to give them away because I went through cancer treatments and couldn't eat even black pepper. That was a real kick in the nuts for a guy who loved spicy foods!

In the pic:

Caribbean Red (also known as Scotch Bonnet) on the left, these are widely used in island style curries and are my favorite of all hot peppers. They are hotter than a regular habanero but not by much. These are 425,000-500,000 Scoville. I like them because they burn on the way in, but not on the way out!!!

On the right, the feared Trinidad Butch T Scorpion. These even scared the Mexicans I gave them to! They said it was the hottest pepper they had tried, but they came back for more!

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/RedCaribbeanTrinidadScorpions_zps0d5c15b2.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/RedCaribbeanTrinidadScorpions_zps0d5c15b2.jpg.html )

Edit: The Trinidad Scorpion is SO hot, you need to wear good gloves when handling or cutting peppers, you need to be in a well ventilated area. I processed some in a food processor and when I opened that thing, I had to leave the kitchen! My eyes were burning, my nose was running, I was coughing uncontrollably, I had made PEPPER GAS!

762 shooter
02-01-2014, 03:12 PM
I have been growing Carolina Reapers. They have the best flavor of all the super hots but hurt for a long, long time.

I got some juice between two fingers and after washing ten times the spot burned for 24 hours. Never again without nitrile gloves. Danger! Will Robinson Danger!

Current Guinness record holder.

cummins05
02-09-2014, 12:33 AM
Daves insanity sauce is pretty darn hott but taste good I think

Big Rack
02-09-2014, 12:52 PM
Do they stilll make Jamacian Hellfire 4 in 1 sauce? I tried some years ago and liked it. Soon after at a gun show had some chili with it I tried to tell my friend it was hot but he wouldn't listen and of course they didn't have root beer so he didn't get a drink. It was a lot of fun watching his tears has he asked for something to drink. "But CJ they don't have root beer", "XXX!!! I donna care sumpin, anything!" Twenty years later we still laugh about it, by the way he was too cheap not to finish it.