PDA

View Full Version : I need your advice on a Uberti Dragoon

Fly
01-15-2014, 08:47 PM
Well I bought a Uberti third Dragoon from Gun Brokers last night.I have a few .44 cal
CB revolvers now.But I have read some where the Uberti Dragoons might take
a larger ball or conical.If so I may need to order a casting mold.

Fly:Fire:

Captain*Kirk
01-15-2014, 11:47 PM
Hey, Fly!
My Uberti Dragoon shoots the .454RB just fine. It's an easy check to confirm chamber diameter using a set of calipers. Mic out all six and go .003=.004 larger ball than the biggest chamber.

Omnivore
01-21-2014, 04:20 PM
For some reason it is rare to find these dimensions listed in product descriptions and when there are listed they often disagree from one site to another regarding the same make and model, so you have to wait 'till you have the gun before you know for sure. They usually list a recommended ball size, but those are at best unreliable as a determinant of the gun's actual dimensions.

I know that doesn't answer your question. Sorry; I just had to vent.

Uberti chambers tend to be a bit larger than those of a Pietta, if that helps.

Good Cheer
01-21-2014, 09:18 PM
The last dragoon I had loved the Lyman bevel base 452066. Depending on your chambers diameter it might be worth looking at it.

Captain*Kirk
01-22-2014, 12:44 AM
My Dragoon shoots the Lee 200gr conical with authority, but not as accurate as the .454RB

Fly
01-23-2014, 11:27 AM
Well I finally loaded this big guy up to day.I been looking this thing over.There BIG,HEAVY & somewhat awkward.This is a gun
I would NEVER go in to a gun fight I had to be fast on the draw, **** NO.But this momma was never intended for that.

You must think of a Dragoon as a very accurate cannon on your hip.I loaded this thing with the full 50 grains,ya!!That sucker
BARKS.This gun would be the perfect back up gun while hunting Hogs with a muzzle loader.I can see why they where used
in horseman warfar.

Hell you could shoot a man dead at 75 yds if you could hit him & it just might shoot pretty accurate that far out.It shoots
way high as most said.I think they were sighted like that for far shots.Up close just aim at the stomach & hit the chest.

Only shot 6 shoots, to dam cold to be out.But I look forword to playing with this pistol.

mooman76
01-23-2014, 11:34 AM
As John Wayne said, "You just need a fence post to lean it on". I have a Walker and it's heavy. I have yet to shoot it.

Fly
01-23-2014, 12:18 PM
Soon as it warms some, I want to play with it at long range.I read where Walker ask Colt
to design a horse pistol that could kill a man or horse at 100 yards, & the Walker was born.

Maybe someone on this form has tryed shooting long distance with them & could comment?

Fly

seaboltm
01-23-2014, 01:31 PM
I have shot a walker quite a bit, but never at 100 yds. It is scary accurate at 25 yards, though it tends to shoot high. the sights are likely regulated to 50 or 75 yds. I have chronographed lead balls with Pyrodex P. 40 grains moved the ball at 987fps, and 50 grains moved it to 1033fps. I wouldn't think that would be all that effective on a horse at 100yd as that is about 9mm territory. A conical would certainly up the equation.

Fly
01-23-2014, 02:46 PM
I have shot a walker quite a bit, but never at 100 yds. It is scary accurate at 25 yards, though it tends to shoot high. the sights are likely regulated to 50 or 75 yds. I have chronographed lead balls with Pyrodex P. 40 grains moved the ball at 987fps, and 50 grains moved it to 1033fps. I wouldn't think that would be all that effective on a horse at 100yd as that is about 9mm territory. A conical would certainly up the equation.
Well I did read they did shoot conicals from these pistols in the day.Man this stuff is fun, is it not?

Fly

Wayne Smith
01-23-2014, 03:14 PM
And remember that the name 'Horse Pistol' came from the fact that the pistol was carried on the saddle, thus the horse carried it. They were never intended to be worn on the hip. Big, heavy, and awkward but the horse carried it and all you needed to do was shoot it.

Fly
01-23-2014, 04:39 PM
Yea but I,m wanting a cross draw shoulder holtser to carry this bad boy.

Fly

Good Cheer
01-23-2014, 05:15 PM
Just some ideas I've tinkered around with...
This little maxiball looking thing is the RCBS mold #45-225-CAV with the back half sized .450" so that it slips in and aligns itself in the Walker chamber. The front is left large to shear on the chamber. With 40 grains of FFg the base fills the grooves just like a maxi in a rifle.
http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy192/SNARGLEFLERK/wandconicals_zpsb7b35c06.jpg (http://s791.photobucket.com/user/SNARGLEFLERK/media/wandconicals_zpsb7b35c06.jpg.html)

This mold might work ok with the plain base plug set for minimum bullet length. Using the hollow base plug would make it even longer but it might be good to fill the base with lube in a paper cartridge.
http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy192/SNARGLEFLERK/adjustable45_zps8651f1de.jpg (http://s791.photobucket.com/user/SNARGLEFLERK/media/adjustable45_zps8651f1de.jpg.html)

Fly
01-23-2014, 06:02 PM
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!Now I got you thinking.Let,s play with these guy's.Be fun sharing notes.
Walkers, Dragoons are fun.But how many buy one & really try & tune that thing?With all
the folks here that have one, take it out & work with it.We could learn alot sharing ideas.

Just me thinking out loud again, Fly (wink)