PDA

View Full Version : Unique fix on a Pooper

KCSO
01-15-2014, 11:17 AM
Had a fellow bring in a Colt Trooper the other day and he had a Python barrel in tow with the gun. His idea was to make a Pooper and put the python barrel on to the Trooper. I have done this before but I always tig welded up the frame and re cut it on the mill to fill in the difference in the guns. This fellow didn't want to go to the expense of welding and milling and rebluing and was just going to leave the valley between the frame and the barrel rib. After some heated discussion with the words Bubba and half A$$ we decided on a compromise. I cut a fillet and shaped it to fit the gap and then used black acra glass to hold it in place. A spot of tochup blue when it was solid and a little trimming of the black acraglass and it actually looked pretty good. The bottom line is that so far it has stood up to 150 rounds of 38 and 357 ammo and is still solid. I wonder how it will hold up if he gets the gun good and hot?

I was hoping it would pop right off so I could finally convince him to do it right, but so far cheap has won out.

rtracy2001
01-17-2014, 11:30 PM
Educate me please, why would one wish to put a python barrel on a trooper frame?

leftiye
01-18-2014, 06:00 AM
Cool daddyo. Not to be confused with tacticool.

rintinglen
01-18-2014, 06:53 AM
The underlug barrel balances better for some folks and the barrels back in the day on the Python were excellent, used to see a fair few Cougars and Smythons on the PPC Lines back before the Davis type bull barrel guns became de rigueur. I have an OP with a Python Barrel, an S&W rear sight and a parkerized finish that I got years ago. It's ugly but I like it.

KCSO
01-18-2014, 11:19 AM
Back in the late 60's early 70's you couldn't buy a Python for love nor money, but Troopers were available used and ythin barrels were readily available so.... If you do it right and do a very good reblue job you can almost pass off your Pooper as a real Python. Others lke the twist in the Pythin barrel better for wadcutter shooting, IIRR 1-16 vrs 1-18.

rtracy2001
01-18-2014, 01:09 PM
Back in the late 60's early 70's you couldn't buy a Python for love nor money, but Troopers were available used and ythin barrels were readily available so.... If you do it right and do a very good reblue job you can almost pass off your Pooper as a real Python. Others lke the twist in the Pythin barrel better for wadcutter shooting, IIRR 1-16 vrs 1-18.

Thanks for the explanation. I was quite confused because I love how my Trooper MK III shoots, and can't imagine why someone would mess with that.