PDA

View Full Version : LAM2 Top Punch

BIGRED
01-15-2014, 10:09 AM
I was going to order a few top punches from THEPERFESSER, but as you may know he is dealing with some health issues and my LAM2 is now here. I need a top punch for 9 mm 124gr FN, RCBS 35-200-FN, and a 30 cal rifle FN 165-170 gr bullet.
I was told i could have 1 top punch for the 35/9mm, would that be RCBS part# 556(9mm) or 565 (35 cal)? i plan on casting only FN type bullets but i notice there are alot of part numbers for different weight bullets same caliber and still FN type?
Is there anyone else on here that makes top punches and a Die retainer nut driver similar to Keiths?

fishnbob
01-15-2014, 11:20 AM
I take a threaded 1/4" bolt and chuck it into a drill press and use a file to shape into what configuration I need. If the boolit is a flatnose such as the RCBS 35-200 FN, I just mill it down to where it will fit down in the sizer and leave the punch about as wide as the nose and that's what I use. If the threaded part is too long I cut it off to fit in length.

Mk42gunner
01-15-2014, 11:26 PM
I have sized literally thousands of flat nosed (and quite a few round nosed) boolits, from .25 to .45 caliber, with my LAM by using a 1" long section of ¼" bolt as a top punch. I cut the head completely off the one I made, ¼" rod would work as well.

As long as the alloy is ACWW or harder I do not see deformation of the boolit nose.

With my LAM, I set the ram down on the retaining nut to keep it straight with no top punch and no real pressure on the ram. I have a set of stubby wrenches about 4" long that I use. Or you can cut down an old 15/16" wrench; be gentle, you do not need a lot of torque.

Robert