PDA

View Full Version : Star Sizer Question

h8dirt
01-15-2014, 08:07 AM
Just curious ... am I correct that the Star sizing press pushes the bullet through the sizing die (i.e., in one end and out of the other)? If so, doesn't it put lube in the crimp groove of bullets that have them?

I'm using an old Lyman 45 and am considering an upgrade but I size and lube bullets with and without crimp grooves.

Jack Stanley
01-15-2014, 09:18 AM
In one side and out the other that's the way it goes . The placement of lube is based on which holes inside the die are plugged or left open . The bullet punch is adjusted to make the bullet stop with the lube grooves lined up to the holes . As the handle "cams" over it activates the lube valve and the bullet get a little squirt of your favorite mix .

It's all up to you where the bullet gets lubed .

Jack

chboats
01-15-2014, 11:31 AM
A star is a much higher volume sizer. The boolit is only touched once, set it in the top and it comes out the bottom. Only one top punch needed per caliber, it pushes on the base.
Carl

MtGun44
01-15-2014, 01:00 PM
You can push them thru either way. Originally they were pushed thru base first and
that required a nose punch that matched the boolit. Most today push thru backwards,
so only a flat punch is needed.

The key to the Star is that the boolit is pushed into the die, then is stationary while
the lube is INJECTED thru holes. The next up boolit pushes it out. This stationary
injection of lube is great. . . . . . . up to a point. It means you can put the lube
exactly where you want it, BUT it also means you have to have a row of lube
holes in the die line up exactly with each row of lube grooves - AND NO EXTRA
HOLES. Plus you have to adjust the stopping point of the boolit to line up with these
rows of holes. Extra holes need to be plugged with lead shot, and swapping
to a same diam boolit with a different number of lube grooves means first -
find out if you have lube holes in the right spacing (if not, get a new die) and
then either unplug or plug as needed to match your lube grooves, and then
adjust the seater punch length to get the boolit to sit in the right spot to
lube the grooves.

Stars are fussy to set up for multiple lube groove boolits (relatively easy for
single lube groove designs - Go Elmer!) and fussy to switch number of
lube grooves. BUT - once set up, YAHOO! They are fast as heck and
put the lube exactly where you want it.

Great for large quantities of the same boolits, the fussy setup time gets
lost in the overall scheme. BUT if you want to constantly switch back
and forth between a 3 groove and a 1 groove boolit of the same design
in 50 rd batches. . . . . . . you'll buy a second die pretty soon.

Bill

PS I only use my Stars for large quantities, all my shorter runs go thru either the Lyman
or RCBS conventional lubrisizer - super easy to set up and works for any number of
lube grooves with no silly shot installation or removal.

trixter
01-15-2014, 05:58 PM
Yup, what they said. Fast and smooth.

historicfirearms
01-15-2014, 07:55 PM
Sometimes I get so frustrated with my Star. It can be pretty fussy getting set up like others said. It also seems to be particular about lube temp and pressure. But... Once you have it figured out, it is a great machine.

wv109323
01-16-2014, 10:33 AM
MTGun pretty well explained it. The hardest bullets to lube in the Star are the long multi-groove bullets. It is kinda trial and error to keep lube out of the crimping groove but it can be done. As stated the trick is adjusting the bullet punch so that the bullets grease grooves are aligned injection holes in the sizing die.,

HATCH
01-16-2014, 11:26 AM
I have found the following when dealing with the star.

Each boolit you do you need to have a separate punch with lock nut for. This makes boolit changes so much easier.

On the star there are 4 variables you need to deal with.

Heat (if required by your lube)
Pressure
boolit depth
plugged holes

The heat and pressure will stay the same regardless of the boolit being used. This is more of a lube specific setting.

Now Boolit Depth vs Plugged holes.
This is where you pull your hair out.

The punch can only be adjusted down so far so for most boolits you don't want to use the very bottom holes if your doing nose first. (3 hole setup)
Most of my boolits are single lube groove setup so its easier.

When adjusting you look for signs.
Lube on base means you are too far down
Lube on nose means you are too far up OR it can also mean your pressure and temp isn't right either.

The only time I have ever had lube on the base that wasn't a depth issue was when the boolits were undersized and didn't seal tightly on the die.

The Star uses a lube pump to pump the lube into the grooves. If the temp is too high and the pressure is too high the lube will flow into the die without being pumped.
If thats the case when you push a boolit thru the lube will flow into the die at the nose.
You can lower the pressure or the temp or both.

Once you know how it operates its pretty easy to setup.
I have done THOUSANDS of boolits (I am not a commercial caster) and sometimes I still pull my hair out.
Example was the first time I set up 32-20. 115 fprn.
I ended up doing base first because after a hour I couldn't get it working nose first.
That was using a Magma sizing die and magma punch.
Now whats funny is a month later I set it up using Lathesmith die and lathesmith punch and got it working nose first in just 15 mins.
The first setup was my brothers he let me borrow.

HATCH
01-16-2014, 11:39 AM
And I only use a Star. If I am sizing its gonna be at least 500 boolits.
I do everything by coffee cans (folgers cans). So most of the time its one or two cans worth.
That means from 700 to 1500 boolits a can.

Jack Stanley
01-16-2014, 12:00 PM
Hatch has a good point , I don't generally setup my Stars to do only a few bullets . They are set for a caliber and pretty much left that way untill I've done a lot of bullets . One has LBT blue lube and the other has fifty-fifty Alox . The RCBS Lube-a-matics are set the same way with lube but those I will change dies to do only a few hundred bullets .

Jack

gtgeorge
01-16-2014, 03:01 PM
No need to adjust for different bullet styles each time. You can set a lock nut for the shortest profile you do and use shims of varying thickness in between when changing to a different bullet style. I mic the difference between the lube groove of the one it is set for and add a washer shim that thickness and keep a chart for the different bullets for a quick easy change adjustment. Lathesmith does do a great job with dies, punches and locknuts.

fredj338
01-16-2014, 05:29 PM
As noted, it's all about the setup. Instead of sep punches, I just measure the distance to the top punch once it's setup properly. I only use two punches, 30-36 cal & 40-45 cal.

cbrick
01-16-2014, 07:47 PM
What hasn't been mentioned yet is that the straight thru sizing method produces a more concentric sized boolit than does the in & out type sizers. Straight thru means either the Star or the LEE sizers, the LEE however doesn't lube, sizes only.

Rick

HATCH
01-16-2014, 07:57 PM
Everything for me is about time. It takes less time to setup for a certain boolit if I use separate punches. Its why I automated my casting machine and why I automated my star. I can cast at 700 a hr and size at 1200 a hr. On a Saturday I can cast and size a year supply of 38s for me, my dad, and my brother ray.

dverna
01-16-2014, 08:39 PM
One other thing. Just because a bullet has 2 lube rings does not mean you need to lube them both. Try just lubing one and if the bullet does not lead and it accurate you save a set up.

Don Verna

blikseme300
01-16-2014, 09:27 PM
One other thing. Just because a bullet has 2 lube rings does not mean you need to lube them both. Try just lubing one and if the bullet does not lead and it accurate you save a set up.

Don Verna

Too true. I read about this a some time ago and had to try it. Accuracy with some boolits were actually slightly better with only one groove filled.

Cadillo
01-17-2014, 12:34 AM
You can push them thru either way. Originally they were pushed thru base first and
that required a nose punch that matched the boolit. Most today push thru backwards,
so only a flat punch is needed.

The key to the Star is that the boolit is pushed into the die, then is stationary while
the lube is INJECTED thru holes. The next up boolit pushes it out. This stationary
injection of lube is great. . . . . . . up to a point. It means you can put the lube
exactly where you want it, BUT it also means you have to have a row of lube
holes in the die line up exactly with each row of lube grooves - AND NO EXTRA
HOLES. Plus you have to adjust the stopping point of the boolit to line up with these
rows of holes. Extra holes need to be plugged with lead shot, and swapping
to a same diam boolit with a different number of lube grooves means first -
find out if you have lube holes in the right spacing (if not, get a new die) and
then either unplug or plug as needed to match your lube grooves, and then
adjust the seater punch length to get the boolit to sit in the right spot to
lube the grooves.

Stars are fussy to set up for multiple lube groove boolits (relatively easy for
single lube groove designs - Go Elmer!) and fussy to switch number of
lube grooves. BUT - once set up, YAHOO! They are fast as heck and
put the lube exactly where you want it.

Great for large quantities of the same boolits, the fussy setup time gets
lost in the overall scheme. BUT if you want to constantly switch back
and forth between a 3 groove and a 1 groove boolit of the same design
in 50 rd batches. . . . . . . you'll buy a second die pretty soon.

Bill

PS I only use my Stars for large quantities, all my shorter runs go thru either the Lyman
or RCBS conventional lubrisizer - super easy to set up and works for any number of
lube grooves with no silly shot installation or removal.

Good explanation! I would just add that for me it's easiest to just send a bullet to Lathesmith, and have him make me a size die for use with that bullet from that mould with either one or two properly spaced rows of holes to match the lube groove(s) on that bullet. When not in use, the sizing die is stored along with a dedicated punch and lock ring locked down at correct location with set screw as sold by Lathesmith.

That way I only need to install the die and top punch prior to sizing, as all adjustment has been preset, and is thus immediately repeatable.

MtGun44
01-17-2014, 01:28 AM
Well, with somewhere north of 100 molds, I'm thinking a dedicated sizing die for each is a bit
of an expense! I leave one Star set up for .44 Mag at .430 for Keith 250s and the other
switches between Keith .357s and Lee 120 TC 9mms - each in quantity. All the smaller
quantity stuff goes into the Lyman or RCBS machines, quick and easy setup.

Bill