PDA

View Full Version : Marlin guys

GunnyJohn
01-15-2014, 01:18 AM
I was in at the lgs tonite and saw a very nice 444. It said 444SS. I don't have a clue what the SS stands for. Anybody? It is a JM stamped barrel. Are all 444's microgrooved? The previous owner scoped it with a scope that looks out of place. But hey, mabey his eyes needed it. Any way I'm thinking about it. The asking price is $425.00. Sound fair? Thanks in advance for the input.

NSB
01-15-2014, 01:47 AM
Well, if it was one of the newer Marlins I'd say the SS stood for Single Shot since they don't feed and cycle. However, it may stand for Stainless Steel. What color was it?

GunnyJohn
01-15-2014, 01:50 AM
Well, if it was one of the newer Marlins I'd say the SS stood for Single Shot since they don't feed and cycle. However, it may stand for Stainless Steel. What color was it? It's blued. Guess I should have metioned that.

RickinTN
01-15-2014, 02:47 AM
I'm not sure what the "SS" stands for but it's not stainless. The "SS" is the standard model 444 with a 22" barrel and half magazine, blued with walnut stocks. No, not all Marlins are micro-groove. If my memory serves me correctly Marlin went to ballard rifling (some folks call it "new" ballard) sometime around 2000. Mine is a 2005 or 2006 vintage and has the ballard rifling. If you take the first two digits of the serial number and subtract it from 100 it will give you the year of production. In the limited work I've done with my rifle it seems to shoot well but I haven't tried any cast in it. If the rifle is in good condition the $425 price tag sounds reasonable but as always haggle a bit if you can.
Good Luck,
Rick

maglvr
01-15-2014, 05:55 AM
"I don't have a clue what the SS stands for. Anybody? "

First "S" = Sporter
Second "S" = Safety (added when the lawyer button arrived).

Gtek
01-15-2014, 07:15 AM
In 1971 stock changed from straight grip to pistol grip 444S (Sporter). 1983 the crossbolt safety was introduced in the 444SS. 444Sporter Safety. Gtek

Shuz
01-15-2014, 07:23 PM
GunnyJohn--The price you were quoted is in the ball park for our area of the Pacific Northwest. Others have told what the "SS" stands for and how to determine the year of manufacture. There appears to be some confusion amongst Marlin owners as to when Ballard rifling replaced the Micro-Groove, however if it is the later, it will say so on the bbl. If it is a Micro-Groove bbl, it will have a 1:38" twist, and as a result heavy for caliber boolits must be driven fast in order to stabilize. FWIW, I have a 444SS and a 444S, both are Micro-Groove, and I love them both and shoot nothing but .432 diameter cast boolits in both.

GunnyJohn
01-16-2014, 12:06 AM
Thanks for the info guys. Shuz is Nine Mile Falls up by Touche by Nine Mile Ranch?

nekshot
01-16-2014, 12:15 AM
I don't see much of marlins under 399. any more. That one with a little room to make an offer sounds decent.

Shuz
01-17-2014, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Shuz is Nine Mile Falls up by Touche by Nine Mile Ranch?

Nine Mile Falls where I live is about 12 miles, as the crow flies, northwest of Spokane. I actually live in Stevens Cty, but have a Nine Mile Falls PO address, yet have a Deer Park telephone exchange...go figger!

randyrat
01-17-2014, 09:22 PM
Take a double look at any Marlin you buy that is newer.
Look down the sights to be sure the barrel is timed correctly, fit, check the screws, are they tight or have they been dinged any at all, in which, would tell you something has been tinkered with.
Some are a real class act of JUNK. Look down the barrel to be there is no machine marks, barrel should be clean to see marks if any.... bring a good bright bore light before you decide to buy. I love Marlins , but be aware.

Walter Laich
01-19-2014, 02:39 PM
I love my Marlins (4) but they are all old ones with the JM on the barrels.
Don't trust the new ones but there have been good ones get through their QC :wink: